Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT - Mandriva ; Did anyone succeeded in installing the driver for the nVidia GeForce 9400GT video card on mandriva 2008.1? I just bought a PC with this video card and I re-installed mandriva 2008.1 (I want to wait a bit more before installing ...

  1. Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Did anyone succeeded in installing the driver for the nVidia GeForce
    9400GT video card on mandriva 2008.1?

    I just bought a PC with this video card and I re-installed mandriva
    2008.1 (I want to wait a bit more before installing 2009). The installer
    did not recognized the video card and therefore installed a generic vesa
    driver. I also tried to download the driver directcly from the nvidia
    site (version 177.80) but it did not compile (so I am guessing there is
    something wrong with mandriva).

    Any clues or info?

    Best regards,
    Mauro

  2. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Mauro Orlandini wrote:

    > Did anyone succeeded in installing the driver for the nVidia GeForce
    > 9400GT video card on mandriva 2008.1?
    >
    > I just bought a PC with this video card and I re-installed mandriva
    > 2008.1 (I want to wait a bit more before installing 2009). The installer
    > did not recognized the video card and therefore installed a generic vesa
    > driver. I also tried to download the driver directcly from the nvidia
    > site (version 177.80) but it did not compile (so I am guessing there is
    > something wrong with mandriva).
    >
    > Any clues or info?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Mauro

    To compile it, you need kernel-source. kernel-devel may work, but
    kernel-source certainly will. If you are using nVidia's own driver, I
    doubt that it will be Mandriva's fault.

    HTH,

    Doug.
    --
    Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to
    you.

  3. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Il Thu, 06 Nov 2008 01:39:31 +1100, Doug Laidlaw ha scritto:

    > To compile it, you need kernel-source. kernel-devel may work, but
    > kernel-source certainly will. If you are using nVidia's own driver, I
    > doubt that it will be Mandriva's fault.

    Hi Doug,

    I made some progress... 8-)
    I compiled the driver following the instructions given in the
    nvidia site. At the end of the installation log is written

    ----------------------
    -> done.
    -> Kernel module compilation complete.
    ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
    frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
    improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
    from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
    rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
    obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

    Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
    messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
    more information.
    -> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
    -1 Invalid module format

    Looking in the log I found the cause of the error:

    nvidia: version magic '2.6.24.7-2mnbcustom SMP mod_unload 686 ' should be
    '2.6.24.7-server-2mnb SMP mod_unload 686 '

    that is, there is a mismatch between kernel and its source.
    Giving a look in the /usr/src directory I found

    linux -> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb

    therefore the problem could be due to the fact that the linux source is
    really linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb while the system is linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb

    I have both of them because I installed kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1
    (it istalled automatically) and kernel-source-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1
    (that I installed for compiling the nvidia module). I will try to change the
    link and find out if it works. I will let you know...

    > Doug.

    Thanks, Mauro

  4. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Il Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:09:08 +0000, Mauro Orlandini ha scritto:

    > Looking in the log I found the cause of the error:
    >
    > nvidia: version magic '2.6.24.7-2mnbcustom SMP mod_unload 686 '
    > should be '2.6.24.7-server-2mnb SMP mod_unload 686 '
    >
    > that is, there is a mismatch between kernel and its source. Giving a
    > look in the /usr/src directory I found
    >
    > linux -> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    > linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    > linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb
    >
    > therefore the problem could be due to the fact that the linux source is
    > really linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb while the system is
    > linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb
    >
    > I have both of them because I installed
    > kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1 (it istalled automatically)
    > and kernel-source-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1 (that I installed for compiling
    > the nvidia module). I will try to change the link and find out if it
    > works. I will let you know...

    OK. I did the change and the module compiled and installed.

    Now I have a question: the directory linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb contains much
    more files than linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb. Which one should I link as
    the "true" kernel source?

    Regards, Mauro

  5. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Mauro Orlandini wrote:

    > Il Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:09:08 +0000, Mauro Orlandini ha scritto:
    >
    >> Looking in the log I found the cause of the error:
    >>
    >> nvidia: version magic '2.6.24.7-2mnbcustom SMP mod_unload 686 '
    >> should be '2.6.24.7-server-2mnb SMP mod_unload 686 '
    >>
    >> that is, there is a mismatch between kernel and its source. Giving a
    >> look in the /usr/src directory I found
    >>
    >> linux -> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    >> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    >> linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb
    >>
    >> therefore the problem could be due to the fact that the linux source is
    >> really linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb while the system is
    >> linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb
    >>
    >> I have both of them because I installed
    >> kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1 (it istalled automatically)
    >> and kernel-source-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1 (that I installed for compiling
    >> the nvidia module). I will try to change the link and find out if it
    >> works. I will let you know...

    > OK. I did the change and the module compiled and installed.
    >
    > Now I have a question: the directory linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb contains much
    > more files than linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb. Which one should I link as
    > the "true" kernel source?
    >
    > Regards, Mauro

    The "true" kernel source is probably the one with more files. The other is
    probably from kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1. The "devel"
    kernel RPM has only those things that you need most of the time. It is my
    understanding that it should have been sufficient, but I had a similar
    problem with the latest kernel 2.6.27.4-desktop-1mnb. You should be able
    now to uninstall the "devel" package, because you have it aggain in the
    source. But what do you need to link now? That should happen automatically.

    Doug.
    --
    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
    improve the world.

  6. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    > Now I have a question: the directory linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb contains much
    > more files than linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb. Which one should I link as
    > the "true" kernel source?

    What are you running as your kernel? Run uname -a and see what shows
    up. You need for /usr/src/linux to point to the package that exactly
    matches the running kernel. Or, simply delete the linux symlink and
    let the nVidia installer look around a little bit more to find what
    it needs. It is usually successful at finding things, but can be
    mislead by finding something that points to the wrong place.

    NVidia is picky. If you have
    kernel-desktop-2.6.27.4-1mnb-1-1mnb2
    then you need
    kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.27.4-1mnb-1-1mnb2

    If you install something such as
    kernel-source-2.6.27.4-1mnb-1-1mnb2
    or anything with source in the name, the nVidia installer will
    regard that as having the files needed when preparing a module
    for a custom-compiled kernel. It will look inside the .config
    file in the top directory of the kernel-source* directory tree,
    and try to see if the designator there matches the designator
    compiled into your running kernel. If what it finds does not
    match, it refuses to compile the module.

    Unless you wish to roll your own kernels, get the standard
    kernel package and the devel package that goes with it, and use that
    when compiling nVidia and other 3rd-party drivers.

    If you do wish to roll your own, get the kernel source package,
    configure and compile that, and with that kernel booted run
    the nVidia installer to create the module for it.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  7. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >
    >> Il Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:09:08 +0000, Mauro Orlandini ha scritto:
    >>
    >>> Looking in the log I found the cause of the error:
    >>>
    >>> nvidia: version magic '2.6.24.7-2mnbcustom SMP mod_unload 686 '
    >>> should be '2.6.24.7-server-2mnb SMP mod_unload 686 '
    >>>
    >>> that is, there is a mismatch between kernel and its source. Giving a
    >>> look in the /usr/src directory I found
    >>>
    >>> linux -> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    >>> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    >>> linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb
    >>>
    >>> therefore the problem could be due to the fact that the linux source is
    >>> really linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb while the system is
    >>> linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb
    >>>
    >>> I have both of them because I installed
    >>> kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1 (it istalled automatically)
    >>> and kernel-source-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1 (that I installed for compiling
    >>> the nvidia module). I will try to change the link and find out if it
    >>> works. I will let you know...

    >> OK. I did the change and the module compiled and installed.
    >>
    >> Now I have a question: the directory linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb contains much
    >> more files than linux-2.6.24.7-server-2mnb. Which one should I link as
    >> the "true" kernel source?
    >>
    >> Regards, Mauro

    > The "true" kernel source is probably the one with more files. The other
    > is
    > probably from kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1. The "devel"
    > kernel RPM has only those things that you need most of the time. It is my
    > understanding that it should have been sufficient, but I had a similar
    > problem with the latest kernel 2.6.27.4-desktop-1mnb. You should be able
    > now to uninstall the "devel" package, because you have it aggain in the
    > source. But what do you need to link now? That should happen
    > automatically.
    >
    > Doug.

    One thing you can try is on MCC, re setup the display. If you manually pick
    an Nvidia card and have your update sources set up it should ask you that
    there is a proprietary driver and asks if you want to use it, if you say
    yes it should set everything up and all you should have to do is restart
    your X session (ctrl + alt + backspace) and if you see the nvidia splash
    screen you know it works. Thats how I have to do it with my Nvidia card.

  8. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Il Thu, 06 Nov 2008 05:46:53 +1100, Doug Laidlaw ha scritto:

    > The "true" kernel source is probably the one with more files. The other
    > is probably from kernel-server-devel-2.6.24.7-2mnb-1-1mnb1. The "devel"
    > kernel RPM has only those things that you need most of the time. It is
    > my understanding that it should have been sufficient, but I had a
    > similar problem with the latest kernel 2.6.27.4-desktop-1mnb. You
    > should be able now to uninstall the "devel" package, because you have it
    > aggain in the source. But what do you need to link now? That should
    > happen automatically.

    Indeed, that's what I did. Now it links to the 2.6.27.4-desktop-1mnb, but
    I think that there is a conflict between the kernel-source-latest and the
    kernel-server-latest packages: the two should be mutually exclusive and
    should not be possible to have both installed... Anyway, now I have the
    nvidia module running and this is what I wanted... 8-)

    > Doug.

    Thank you,
    Mauro

  9. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Il Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:39:54 +0000, Mauro Orlandini ha scritto:

    > Indeed, that's what I did. Now it links to the 2.6.27.4-desktop-1mnb,
    > but I think that there is a conflict between the kernel-source-latest
    > and the kernel-server-latest packages: the two should be mutually
    > exclusive and should not be possible to have both installed... Anyway,
    > now I have the nvidia module running and this is what I wanted... 8-)

    I reply to myself: I just discovered that by un-installing the kernel-
    server-latest package, the uname of my system changed too. Now they are
    aligned:

    cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.24.7-server-2mnb (qateam@titan.mandriva.com) (gcc
    version 4.2.3 (4.2.3-6mnb1)) #1 SMP Thu Oct 30 18:40:15 EDT 2008

    ls -l /usr/src
    linux -> linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb
    linux-2.6.24.7-2mnb

    So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    Now everything is set.

    Mauro

  10. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    on Thursday 06 November 2008 20:49
    Mauro Orlandini wrote:

    [snip]
    > So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    > kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    [snip]

    They should not conflict. All of the kernels are compiled
    from the same source, just the configuration changes.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  11. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    > I reply to myself: I just discovered that by un-installing the kernel-
    > server-latest package, the uname of my system changed too. Now they are
    > aligned:

    > So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    > kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    Actually, you can have all the kernel packages installed that you
    want, but the symbolic links have to be correct for what you want to
    do, or you must follow the instructions for compiling drivers for
    a system not currently running and then installing. For more details
    (and some other info):

    /usr/src/nvidia-current-177.80-3mdv2009.0/README
    (vary name to fit your current nvidia installer directory)

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    On Friday 07 November 2008 03:55, someone identifying as *Jim Beard* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >
    >> I reply to myself: I just discovered that by un-installing the kernel-
    >> server-latest package, the uname of my system changed too. Now they are
    >> aligned:
    >>
    >> So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    >> kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    > Actually, you can have all the kernel packages installed that you
    > want, but the symbolic links have to be correct for what you want to
    > do, [...]

    My advice to anyone would be to ditch the symbolic links alltogether and
    simply edit your bootloader configuration to point directly to the actual
    kernel and initial ramdisk images instead. It's really not that hard to
    do, and - listen up newbies ;-) - yes, you may need to open up a dreaded
    commandline console to do it, but that's all part of working at a UNIX
    system.

    Don't use any Mandriva GUI utility. You can use a GUI editor - started from
    the commandline after you've /su'ed/ to root - and the shell in the
    terminal window, e.g.

    (note: "#" precedes comments)

    su -
    # Enter the root password here

    kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst &
    # This will start /kwrite/ with root privileges and free up
    # the shell again for interactive use since the editor will be
    # started in the background

    # With the editor open, enter the following commands in the
    # terminal window:

    cd /boot
    ls -l

    # Look at the symbolic links. They are filenames in a different
    # color - turquoise on my system - with an arrow behind them,
    # indicating to what other file they point.
    #
    # Compare with the file in the editor, edit the file and then
    # delete the pertaining symlinks one by one.
    #
    # Save the file, close the editor, and hit /Ctrl+D/ in the terminal
    # window to exit the root shell and return to your unprivileged
    # user shell. Press /Ctrl+D/ again to exit that shell and close
    # the terminal window.

    Hope this was helpful. ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  13. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 03:18:56 -0500, Aragorn wrote:

    > My advice to anyone would be to ditch the symbolic links alltogether and

    Also edit /etc/sysconfig/installkernel and set NOLINK="yes" to prevent the
    installation of a new kernel via urpmi from creating new symlinks.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  14. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Aragorn wrote:
    > On Friday 07 November 2008 03:55, someone identifying as *Jim Beard* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >>
    >>> I reply to myself: I just discovered that by un-installing the kernel-
    >>> server-latest package, the uname of my system changed too. Now they are
    >>> aligned:
    >>>
    >>> So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    >>> kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    >> Actually, you can have all the kernel packages installed that you
    >> want, but the symbolic links have to be correct for what you want to
    >> do, [...]

    > My advice to anyone would be to ditch the symbolic links alltogether and
    > simply edit your bootloader configuration to point directly to the actual
    > kernel and initial ramdisk images instead. It's really not that hard to
    > do, and - listen up newbies ;-) - yes, you may need to open up a dreaded
    > commandline console to do it, but that's all part of working at a UNIX
    > system.
    >
    > Don't use any Mandriva GUI utility. You can use a GUI editor - started from
    > the commandline after you've /su'ed/ to root - and the shell in the
    > terminal window, e.g.
    >
    > (note: "#" precedes comments)
    >
    > su -
    > # Enter the root password here
    >
    > kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst &
    > # This will start /kwrite/ with root privileges and free up
    > # the shell again for interactive use since the editor will be
    > # started in the background
    >
    > # With the editor open, enter the following commands in the
    > # terminal window:
    >
    > cd /boot
    > ls -l
    >
    > # Look at the symbolic links. They are filenames in a different
    > # color - turquoise on my system - with an arrow behind them,
    > # indicating to what other file they point.
    > #
    > # Compare with the file in the editor, edit the file and then
    > # delete the pertaining symlinks one by one.
    > #
    > # Save the file, close the editor, and hit /Ctrl+D/ in the terminal
    > # window to exit the root shell and return to your unprivileged
    > # user shell. Press /Ctrl+D/ again to exit that shell and close
    > # the terminal window.
    >
    > Hope this was helpful. ;-)

    All good information, but the symlink under discussion was
    /usr/src/linux (and maybe /lib/modules/linux*/build and
    /lib/modules/linux*/source). If any or all of these point
    to something other than what you are trying to compile an nVidia
    driver for, the nvidia compiler/installer may become confused,
    choke and barf error messages.

    Symlinks in /boot can likewise cause problems, which likewise can be
    avoided by removing the symlinks and using regular path/file names.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  15. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Peter D. wrote:
    > on Thursday 06 November 2008 20:49
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >

    > [snip]
    >> So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    >> kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    > [snip]
    >
    > They should not conflict. All of the kernels are compiled
    > from the same source, just the configuration changes.

    The configuration changes are critical when you are
    compiling/installing nVidia drivers for a new kernel.
    The nvidia package checks the name of the running kernel
    against the name in the source or -devel- config or
    ..config file and some other places. If they do not match,
    it will not compile and install the new drivers.

    You can download a new kernel, and download the source code for that
    kernel, and then try to compile nVidia drivers for the new kernel
    while it is running. It will not work.

    You can download a new kernel, and download the -devel- package for
    that exact kernel, and then the nVidia compiler/installer will
    prepare the drivers and install them.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  16. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    on Saturday 08 November 2008 14:51
    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >> on Thursday 06 November 2008 20:49
    >> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >> Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >>

    >> [snip]
    >>> So the "original sin" was to install both kernel-source-latest AND
    >>> kernel-server-latest (but may be a warning should have helped...)

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> They should not conflict. All of the kernels are compiled
    >> from the same source, just the configuration changes.

    > The configuration changes are critical when you are
    > compiling/installing nVidia drivers for a new kernel.
    > The nvidia package checks the name of the running kernel
    > against the name in the source or -devel- config or
    > .config file and some other places. If they do not match,
    > it will not compile and install the new drivers.

    You should be able to compile any of the Mandriva source.

    > You can download a new kernel, and download the source code for that
    > kernel, and then try to compile nVidia drivers for the new kernel
    > while it is running. It will not work.

    That is very strange.

    Try;
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make clean
    cp /boot/config .config
    make oldconfig

    Maybe you need some obscure name change in /usr/src/linux/Makefile
    You will probably have to remove the "custom" from there.

    Then compile with something like;
    ionice -c3 make -j2
    make modules_install
    make install

    I am assuming that you do everything as root, which is
    technically naughty.

    > You can download a new kernel, and download the -devel- package for
    > that exact kernel, and then the nVidia compiler/installer will
    > prepare the drivers and install them.

    If that is what works then that is what you should do.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  17. Re: Mdv 2008.1 and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

    Peter D. wrote:
    > on Saturday 08 November 2008 14:51
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Peter D. wrote:
    >>> on Thursday 06 November 2008 20:49
    >>> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >>> Mauro Orlandini wrote:
    >>>

    >>> [snip]
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> They should not conflict. All of the kernels are compiled
    >>> from the same source, just the configuration changes.

    >> The configuration changes are critical when you are
    >> compiling/installing nVidia drivers for a new kernel.
    >> The nvidia package checks the name of the running kernel
    >> against the name in the source or -devel- config or
    >> .config file and some other places. If they do not match,
    >> it will not compile and install the new drivers.

    > You should be able to compile any of the Mandriva source.

    If you compile a kernel from source, install it, and while it is
    running compile new nVidia drivers, that will work.

    But you cannot use the full source code when compiling drivers
    for a kernel downloaded as a binary, without some fancy modifications.

    >> You can download a new kernel, and download the source code for that
    >> kernel, and then try to compile nVidia drivers for the new kernel
    >> while it is running. It will not work.

    > That is very strange.
    >
    > Try;
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > make clean
    > cp /boot/config .config
    > make oldconfig
    >
    > Maybe you need some obscure name change in /usr/src/linux/Makefile
    > You will probably have to remove the "custom" from there.

    The last time I went for the brass ring using this approach, I found
    three places where the kernel identifier had to match, in the .config
    file, in a makefile (top level? or elsewhere?), and in a file under
    the architecture 386 tree.

    Complicating matters, you may have a symbolic link /usr/src/linux
    that the nvidia installer will look at, and there may be symbolic
    links source and maybe build in the trees under /lib/modules. The
    nVidia installer apparently looked at those, too, and if they point
    to the wrong location it could bollix things.

    > Then compile with something like;
    > ionice -c3 make -j2
    > make modules_install
    > make install

    The README has instructions for the exact commands.

    > I am assuming that you do everything as root, which is
    > technically naughty.

    You have to do the install as root, due to permissons on the
    directories. Conventional wisdom says to use chown -R user: *
    in the top of the source code tree to become owner of all files
    and compile as regular-user you.

    >> You can download a new kernel, and download the -devel- package for
    >> that exact kernel, and then the nVidia compiler/installer will
    >> prepare the drivers and install them.

    > If that is what works then that is what you should do.

    This is indeed the easiest.

    Of course, the above assumes that the compiler used to compile the
    kernel and the compiler used to compile the drivers are the same
    version. A mismatch there will also bollix things.

    The nVidia module is integrated very tightly into the kernel, for
    speed, and the module and kernel have to match up exactly. Changes
    in library routines, for example, can botch things quite thoroughly.

    When everything lines up nicely, all works beautifully. When things
    get out of kilter, I have found it a PITA trying to figure out what
    has to be changed to straighten things out.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely