upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64) - Mandriva ; Hi, I am planning to upgrade as stated from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64) in the following manner: Option 1: a) remove all media b) add 2009 media via easyurpmi c) urpmi --auto-select Option 2: a) same b) ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

  1. upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    Hi,

    I am planning to upgrade as stated from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009
    (x86_64) in the following manner:

    Option 1:

    a) remove all media
    b) add 2009 media via easyurpmi
    c) urpmi --auto-select

    Option 2:

    a) same
    b) same
    c) urpmi --auto-select --keep --auto --clean

    I used option 2 from 2008 to 2008.1 and all pretty much went right. I had
    to sometimes manually remove some old 2008 dependency and manually add the
    2008.1 one. But besides that, it worked.

    I am not interested in installing from DVD and having to re-install the
    myriads of applications I have on my box. So, please refrain from purist
    comments: "The only real way to upgrade is from DVD, etc."

    I am looking for the best possible way for me to re-use option 2 or 1
    above.

    And looking for comments as to which of 1 or 2 (or variations on 1 or 2)
    might be best.

    Thanks.





    --
    Mandriva Free 2008.1 (X86_64)
    KDE - zsh

  2. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:33:39 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to upgrade as stated from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009
    > (x86_64) in the following manner:
    >
    > Option 1:
    >

    *) install all 2008.1 updates
    > a) remove all media
    > b) add 2009 media via easyurpmi
    > c) urpmi --auto-select


    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_N...om_2008_Spring

    After reading everything in the Notes you might look at
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

  3. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:57:29 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:33:39 +0000 (UTC), stef wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am planning to upgrade as stated from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free
    >> 2009 (x86_64) in the following manner:
    >>
    >> Option 1:
    >>

    > *) install all 2008.1 updates
    >> a) remove all media
    >> b) add 2009 media via easyurpmi
    >> c) urpmi --auto-select

    >
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_N...om_2008_Spring
    >
    > After reading everything in the Notes you might look at
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata


    Beautiful, thanks.



    --
    Mandriva Free 2008.1 (X86_64)
    KDE - zsh

  4. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    stef wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to upgrade as stated from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free
    > 2009 (x86_64) in the following manner:
    >
    > Option 1:
    >
    > a) remove all media
    > b) add 2009 media via easyurpmi
    > c) urpmi --auto-select
    >
    > Option 2:
    >
    > a) same
    > b) same
    > c) urpmi --auto-select --keep --auto --clean
    >
    > I used option 2 from 2008 to 2008.1 and all pretty much went right. I
    > had to sometimes manually remove some old 2008 dependency and manually
    > add the
    > 2008.1 one. But besides that, it worked.
    >
    > I am not interested in installing from DVD and having to re-install the
    > myriads of applications I have on my box. So, please refrain from
    > purist comments: "The only real way to upgrade is from DVD, etc."
    >
    > I am looking for the best possible way for me to re-use option 2 or 1
    > above.
    >
    > And looking for comments as to which of 1 or 2 (or variations on 1 or 2)
    > might be best.
    >
    > Thanks.


    I updated my x64 machine via your option 1 a few weeks ago. No real
    problems, though if I were doing it again I might use the --no-suggests
    option to stop urpmi from installing lots of useless packages which I
    then had to uninstall again.
    --
    Dave

  5. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    Dave Pickles wrote:
    > stef wrote:
    >
    >
    > I updated my x64 machine via your option 1 a few weeks ago. No real
    > problems, though if I were doing it again I might use the --no-suggests
    > option to stop urpmi from installing lots of useless packages which I
    > then had to uninstall again.


    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your post.

    --no-suggests - do not auto select "suggested" packages.

    What type of useless "suggested" packages are you referring to, if I may
    ask?

  6. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:48:44 +0000, Dave Pickles wrote:
    >
    > I updated my x64 machine via your option 1 a few weeks ago. No real
    > problems, though if I were doing it again I might use the --no-suggests
    > option to stop urpmi from installing lots of useless packages which I
    > then had to uninstall again.


    Some may not uninstall cleanly. Example: mailman was creating cron
    errors because some cron job could not find the mailman application I
    had uninstalled.

    Also upgrades may leave obsolete apps/files on the drive.
    New orphan switch on urpme might find them but it is a bit buggy.

    My solution, is creating an "install_addons" script to install all the
    extra packages I want. I also created an "install_changes" script to go
    through and change config files. Now I do a clean install and run the
    install* scripts.

    Here is an example where I have to change 2 entries in dovecot config
    file, change dovecotd's runlevel and add "INIT info lines",
    then stop, delete old links, add new ones and start the service.

    #*******************************
    # dovecot fix
    #*******************************
    _fn=/etc/dovecot.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    if [ ! -e ${_fn}_orig ] ; then
    echo "fixing $_fn"
    cp $_fn ${_fn}_orig
    /bin/cp /dev/null $_fn
    while read -r line ; do
    set -- $line
    if [ "$1" = "#mail_location" ] ; then
    line="mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u"
    fi
    if [ "$1" = "#protocols" ] ; then
    line="protocols = imap imaps"
    fi
    echo "$line" >> $_fn
    done < ${_fn}_orig
    fi


    _fn=/etc/init.d/dovecot
    echo "fixing $_fn"
    cp $_fn ${_fn}_orig
    /bin/cp /dev/null $_fn
    while read -r line ; do
    set -- $line
    if [ "$2" = "chkconfig:" ] ; then
    line="# chkconfig: 345 57 46"
    fi
    if [ "$2" = "pidfile" ] ; then
    echo "$line" >> $_fn
    echo "### BEGIN INIT INFO" >> $_fn
    echo "# Provides: dovecot" >> $_fn
    echo "# Should-Start: ntpd" >> $_fn
    echo "# Default-Start: 3 4 5" >> $_fn
    echo "# Short-Description: Starts dovecot daemon" >> $_fn
    echo "# Description: Dovecot IMAP Daemon" >> $_fn
    line="### END INIT INFO"
    fi
    echo "$line" >> $_fn
    done < ${_fn}_orig

    service dovecot stop
    chkconfig --del dovecot
    chkconfig --add dovecot
    service dovecot start
    fi

  7. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    stef wrote:

    > Dave Pickles wrote:
    >> stef wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> I updated my x64 machine via your option 1 a few weeks ago. No real
    >> problems, though if I were doing it again I might use the --no-suggests
    >> option to stop urpmi from installing lots of useless packages which I
    >> then had to uninstall again.

    >
    > Hi Dave,
    > Thanks for your post.
    >
    > --no-suggests - do not auto select "suggested" packages.
    >
    > What type of useless "suggested" packages are you referring to, if I may
    > ask?


    IIRC mono, kerry, beagle, some c-sharp stuff and a lot of un-needed
    libraries.
    --
    Dave

  8. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    Dave Pickles wrote:
    > stef wrote:
    >
    >
    > IIRC mono, kerry, beagle, some c-sharp stuff and a lot of un-needed
    > libraries.


    OK, so it's no biggie though.

  9. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:48:44 +0000, Dave Pickles wrote:
    >
    > Some may not uninstall cleanly. Example: mailman was creating cron
    > errors because some cron job could not find the mailman application I
    > had uninstalled.
    >
    > Also upgrades may leave obsolete apps/files on the drive.
    > New orphan switch on urpme might find them but it is a bit buggy.
    >
    > My solution, is creating an "install_addons" script to install all the
    > extra packages I want. I also created an "install_changes" script to go
    > through and change config files. Now I do a clean install and run the
    > install* scripts.
    >
    > Here is an example where I have to change 2 entries in dovecot config
    > file, change dovecotd's runlevel and add "INIT info lines",
    > then stop, delete old links, add new ones and start the service.
    >
    > #*******************************
    > # dovecot fix
    > #*******************************
    > _fn=/etc/dovecot.conf
    > if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    > if [ ! -e ${_fn}_orig ] ; then
    > echo "fixing $_fn"
    > cp $_fn ${_fn}_orig
    > /bin/cp /dev/null $_fn
    > while read -r line ; do
    > set -- $line
    > if [ "$1" = "#mail_location" ] ; then
    > line="mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u"
    > fi
    > if [ "$1" = "#protocols" ] ; then
    > line="protocols = imap imaps"
    > fi
    > echo "$line" >> $_fn
    > done < ${_fn}_orig
    > fi
    >
    >
    > _fn=/etc/init.d/dovecot
    > echo "fixing $_fn"
    > cp $_fn ${_fn}_orig
    > /bin/cp /dev/null $_fn
    > while read -r line ; do
    > set -- $line
    > if [ "$2" = "chkconfig:" ] ; then
    > line="# chkconfig: 345 57 46"
    > fi
    > if [ "$2" = "pidfile" ] ; then
    > echo "$line" >> $_fn
    > echo "### BEGIN INIT INFO" >> $_fn
    > echo "# Provides: dovecot" >> $_fn
    > echo "# Should-Start: ntpd" >> $_fn
    > echo "# Default-Start: 3 4 5" >> $_fn
    > echo "# Short-Description: Starts dovecot daemon" >> $_fn
    > echo "# Description: Dovecot IMAP Daemon" >> $_fn
    > line="### END INIT INFO"
    > fi
    > echo "$line" >> $_fn
    > done < ${_fn}_orig
    >
    > service dovecot stop
    > chkconfig --del dovecot
    > chkconfig --add dovecot
    > service dovecot start
    > fi


    Sounds great but on my side, still fairly new at Unix/Linux and a bit
    too advanced for the moment....

  10. Re: upgrading from Free 2008.1 (x86_64) to Free 2009 (x86_64)

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 04:55:49 -0500, stef wrote:
    >
    > Sounds great but on my side, still fairly new at Unix/Linux and a bit
    > too advanced for the moment....


    Usually anything you type into the command line can be placed into a script.
    There was nothing fancy in the script I provided.

    You can make the computer work for you or let the computer work you. :-)

    Just for fun, click up a terminal and do a

    man test

    Then when you are bored, start playing with the commands found here,
    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

+ Reply to Thread