newbie: how to mount FAT as Read-Write in /etc/mtab - Mandriva

This is a discussion on newbie: how to mount FAT as Read-Write in /etc/mtab - Mandriva ; Hello, I have Windows FAT partition that I would like to mount as Read-Write in my Mandriva 2008. Now I have the following line in /etc/mtab: /dev/hdc2 /mnt/win_d vfat rw,umask=0022,iocharset=utf8 0 0 but for unknown reason I can only read ...

  1. newbie: how to mount FAT as Read-Write in /etc/mtab

    Hello,
    I have Windows FAT partition that I would like to mount as Read-Write in my
    Mandriva 2008. Now I have the following line in /etc/mtab:
    /dev/hdc2 /mnt/win_d vfat rw,umask=0022,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    but for unknown reason I can only read files in my Mandriva (I cannot modify
    nor delete nor create files). I don't know why because the system works
    fine. Could you help me please to mount the partition? I am not sure
    (because I don't remember) but it seems to me that I had this partition
    mounted Read-Write some time ago although I made no changes to /etc/mtab.
    Here's the whole /etc/mtab:
    /dev/hdb1 / ext3 rw,relatime 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    /dev/hdb6 /home ext3 rw,relatime 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs ro,umask=0022,nls=utf8 0 0
    /dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c2 ntfs ro,umask=0022,nls=utf8 0 0
    /dev/hdc2 /mnt/win_d vfat rw,umask=0022,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    Thanks for your answers.

  2. Re: newbie: how to mount FAT as Read-Write in /etc/mtab

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 20:04:14 +0100, Jivanmukta wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have Windows FAT partition that I would like to mount as Read-Write in my
    > Mandriva 2008. Now I have the following line in /etc/mtab:
    > /dev/hdc2 /mnt/win_d vfat rw,umask=0022,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    > but for unknown reason I can only read files in my Mandriva (I cannot modify
    > nor delete nor create files).

    What works for me, and I suggest for you.
    /dev/hdc2 /mnt/win_d vfat user,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

    That does not automagically mount win_d.

    For extra points, you might click up a terminal and try
    man mount
    man fstab

  3. Re: newbie: how to mount FAT as Read-Write in /etc/mtab

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:04:14 -0500, Jivanmukta wrote:

    > I have Windows FAT partition that I would like to mount as Read-Write in my
    > Mandriva 2008. Now I have the following line in /etc/mtab:

    I use an fstab entry like
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat defaults,users,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

    The umask=0 gives read/write access to everyone. I manually mount it, when I want
    access to it (and manually unmount it).
    If you want it automatically mounted at boot time, don't include the noauto option.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins