Totem won't play DVD - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Totem won't play DVD - Mandriva ; I pop a DVD into the drive. When the system recognizes what is in the drive, it asks if I want to open using a movie player, starts Totem, then gives a message saying that I might not have permission. ...

  1. Totem won't play DVD

    I pop a DVD into the drive. When the system recognizes what is in the
    drive, it asks if I want to open using a movie player, starts Totem,
    then gives a message saying that I might not have permission.

    When I just start Totem and try to access the DVD, it gives an error
    won't start the movie.

    When I open a terminal, switch to su and start Totem, I get the same
    problem.

    Using 2009.0 with Gnome installed from One Live CD. No "special
    effects" like Metisse. Pretty plain vanilla. Latest video driver from
    system updates.

    I have installed systems from a DVD, so the drive is OK.

    System is Intel DP35DPM, Core2Dou 6600, 4GB RAM, 7950GT video, 500GB HD
    (50GB /, 4GB swap, remainder of hd is /home).

    Couldn't find errata or discussion for this on Mandriva forums.

  2. Re: Totem won't play DVD

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 08:30:41 -0600, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > When I just start Totem and try to access the DVD, it gives an error
    > won't start the movie.

    Install libdvdcss2.

  3. Re: Totem won't play DVD

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 08:30:41 -0600, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >
    >> When I just start Totem and try to access the DVD, it gives an error
    >> won't start the movie.
    >>

    > Install libdvdcss2.

    That helps a lot. Thanks.

    Now I notice that there is no sound in the system whatsoever. Tried the
    different drivers, but without success. (Yes, I do have my headset
    plugged in the correct jack. d )

  4. Re: Totem won't play DVD

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:53:39 -0600, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Now I notice that there is no sound in the system whatsoever. Tried the
    > different drivers, but without success. (Yes, I do have my headset
    > plugged in the correct jack. d )

    I assume you mean the jack off the MB or card, and not the front case jack
    (which may not be connected). Check the mixer and make sure the volume is
    not at 0. If it's something else, then more info would be needed. MB or
    sound card model, bios settings for on board sound, etc.

  5. Re: Totem won't play DVD

    Peaceful Bill schrieb:

    > I pop a DVD into the drive. When the system recognizes what is in the
    > drive, it asks if I want to open using a movie player, starts Totem,
    > then gives a message saying that I might not have permission.
    >
    > When I just start Totem and try to access the DVD, it gives an error
    > won't start the movie.
    >
    > When I open a terminal, switch to su and start Totem, I get the same
    > problem.
    >
    > Using 2009.0 with Gnome installed from One Live CD. No "special
    > effects" like Metisse. Pretty plain vanilla. Latest video driver from
    > system updates.
    >
    > I have installed systems from a DVD, so the drive is OK.
    >
    > System is Intel DP35DPM, Core2Dou 6600, 4GB RAM, 7950GT video, 500GB HD
    > (50GB /, 4GB swap, remainder of hd is /home).
    >
    > Couldn't find errata or discussion for this on Mandriva forums.

    With 'totem' all the codecs don't help.
    You have to remove totem and install 'smplayer' and it will be fine.

    regards
    Manfred

  6. Re: Totem won't play DVD

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:53:39 -0600, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >
    >> Now I notice that there is no sound in the system whatsoever. Tried the
    >> different drivers, but without success. (Yes, I do have my headset
    >> plugged in the correct jack. d )

    > I assume you mean the jack off the MB or card, and not the front case jack
    > (which may not be connected). Check the mixer and make sure the volume is
    > not at 0. If it's something else, then more info would be needed. MB or
    > sound card model, bios settings for on board sound, etc.

    Have no idea what happened. It didn't work. I shut down the system for
    the evening. When I rebooted the next day, totem played the movie with
    sound. Same movie.

    Bottom line is that it works. Thanks for the heads-up on libdvdcss2.
    There were a few other dependencies found after that was installed, but
    it all works now.

  7. Re: Totem won't play DVD

    On Wednesday 05 November 2008 13:33, someone identifying as *Peaceful Bill*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:53:39 -0600, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now I notice that there is no sound in the system whatsoever. Tried the
    >>> different drivers, but without success. (Yes, I do have my headset
    >>> plugged in the correct jack. d )

    >> I assume you mean the jack off the MB or card, and not the front case
    >> jack (which may not be connected). Check the mixer and make sure the
    >> volume is not at 0. If it's something else, then more info would be
    >> needed. MB or sound card model, bios settings for on board sound, etc.

    > Have no idea what happened. It didn't work. I shut down the system for
    > the evening. When I rebooted the next day, totem played the movie with
    > sound. Same movie.

    Just a wild guess analysis: presumably the permissions on the sound card
    were not correct. /udev/ uses a dynamic */dev* tree, and upon (re)boot,
    this entire tree is recreated again on a /tmpfs,/ with the proper
    permissions to each device special file.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

+ Reply to Thread