VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0 - Mandriva ; On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:54:11 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote: > The two shared folders that were shown by the grep command are not > showing up in the gui? That's right. Something weird here. In the .Virtualbox/machines/WIndows XP ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:54:11 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > The two shared folders that were shown by the grep command are not
    > showing up in the gui?

    That's right. Something weird here.

    In the .Virtualbox/machines/WIndows XP SP3/Windows XP SP3.xml file
    the tag is *empty*!
    That GREP must have picked them up from the 2008.0 .Virtualbox
    folder.

    SO I re-did the whole thing. Uninstalled Vbox, copied the 2008.0
    ..Virtualbox directory over to 2009.0 again, and re-installed Vbox
    2.0.4 (after checking those /mnt/win... lines were in the
    tag).

    Same thing! The tag with the /mnt/win... entries had
    been emptied! WTF's going on....!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:01:08 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Same thing! The tag with the /mnt/win... entries had
    > been emptied! WTF's going on....!

    I'd recopy them, and then use a text editor to change the xml file
    before starting VirtualBox, as it must be stripping out the entries
    with the invalid paths.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:18:08 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > I'd recopy them, and then use a text editor to change the xml file
    > before starting VirtualBox, as it must be stripping out the entries
    > with the invalid paths.

    Just read your posting after having just done that very thing, as
    final effort before retiring for early start tomorrow.

    It worked!!!

    Many thanks once again. 'night all....

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 20:57:51 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> you have to clone the guest using
    >> the Virtual Disk Manager and then load that into VirtualBox.

    > How does one do that?
    > (I had assumed it involved giving 2009.0 Vbox the address of the
    > 2008.0 VDI file, but when I tried that the 2009.0 Vbox put up a small
    > window saying "Spawning" which stuck at 0%.)
    >
    >> Install the new version of VirtualBox on your new 2009.0 OS.
    >> With the new clone of your guest created where you want it, load
    >> it into the new VirtualBox.

    > How does one do that?

    Given that my own attempts at copying/cloning initially failed and
    I am not sure exactly what I did that finally worked, I would suggest
    reading the manual and see if you can do better than I did. Some of
    the pertinent sections (I think) follow.

    I will note that where I thought copying a guest would not work, on
    rereading it seems that so long as the host knows where it has been
    moved to, and thinks the initial location no longer holds the image,
    it should work. This would allow, for example, moving
    /home/user/whatever under the old OS to /home/user/whatever under a
    new OS, and all path names would work with the new OS running.

    Excerpts
    VirtualBox keeps an internal registry of all available hard disk,
    CD/DVD-ROM and floppy disk images. This registry can be viewed and
    changed in the Virtual Disk Manager, which you can access from the
    "File" menu in the VirtualBox main window:

    Note: Do not simply make copies of virtual disk images. If you
    import such a second copy into a virtual machine, VirtualBox will
    complain with an error, since VirtualBox assigns a unique identified
    (UUID) to eash disk image to make sure it is only used once. See
    chapter 5.3, Cloning disk images, page 65 for instructions....

    In the VM Settings window, the "Hard Disks" section allows you to
    connect virtual hard disk images to your virtual machine.
    End excerpts

    There is a section or two on shared folders as well, which I have
    not looked at. The manual I have is for Sun xVM VirtualBox(R)
    Version 1.6.2 http://www.virtualbox.org, dated May 31, 2008, and I
    think I got it from that web address. PDF format. Google should
    find it, in any case.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:23:42 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > It worked!!!

    But now I find that it won't allow the use of USB sticks.

    Over on 2008.0, Vbox 1.6.6 (and 2.0.2 when I tried it), if I
    plugged in a USB stick it automatically brought up the WIndows
    browser screen showing the contents of the drive, which I could then
    use normally. (I had set USB filters up so I needn't go into
    Devices/USB to select the USB stick.)

    Although the 2009.0 Vbox 2.0.4 cloned VDI shows the same USB filters,
    when I plug a USB stick in, the drive info does appear in
    Devices/USB, but *greyed out*, and the Windows drive window does not
    appear. The stick is ignored, even ghough it shows its info.

    No problem using the USB printer, and it also shows other USB devices
    that were already plugged in - not greyed out.

    Why might it be treating USB sticksg differently on 2009.0 when it's
    the same VDI that on 2008.0 is OK with USB sticks?

    --
    /\/\aurice

  6. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:21:29 -0500, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > But now I find that it won't allow the use of USB sticks.

    Try using the VirtualBox settings to remove all of the existing usb
    filters, then add them back.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: VirtualBox 1.6.6: Cloning 2008.0 installation --> 2009.0

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:11:19 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Try using the VirtualBox settings to remove all of the existing usb
    > filters, then add them back.

    I had already tried that for the USB stick. Problem persisted...

    --
    /\/\aurice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2