Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X? - Mandriva ; Resignation: I'm surrendering to KDE4.x, because it will be however the Kde's future. But now as now I know nothing of the new desktop environment, Dolphin and its rules, the plasmoids, the panel above all and its widgets who change ...

  1. Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    Resignation: I'm surrendering to KDE4.x, because it will be however the
    Kde's future.
    But now as now I know nothing of the new desktop environment, Dolphin and
    its rules, the plasmoids, the panel above all and its widgets who change
    as want, unconfigurable and unattainable as an eel, and all the other
    novelties: a disaster, GRRRR!
    Are there some Guides (good structured) for the new DE to which we're
    condemned?
    Now I'm again using Kde3.5, but with Kde4 I'm with the ass in the ground
    and the legs in the air and for the future I see dark 8-(.
    Tnx
    ps: oh yes, Google is there, but ... can I be a potato head ... ?! It's
    possible, but on kde.org I nothing found (or better, only few notes)

  2. Re: Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    On 02 Nov 2008 06:31:02 GMT, scassa15 wrote:
    > Resignation: I'm surrendering to KDE4.x, because it will be however the
    > Kde's future.
    > But now as now I know nothing of the new desktop environment, Dolphin and
    > its rules, the plasmoids, the panel above all and its widgets who change
    > as want, unconfigurable and unattainable as an eel, and all the other
    > novelties: a disaster, GRRRR!

    I can commiserate with that. I was finally able to create my second
    Activity desktop by watching a Youtube video. Lo and behold, it did not work
    like I thought it should.

    I bookmarked these for newbies. Ignore quality and sound, if any.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhODrJkoidA # ZUI demo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpf_Snc4DI&NR=1 # Effects of KDE4.1 Beta2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kk73...eature=related # Using the Folder View
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9St0P...eature=related # new panel-less kde plasma desktop layout

  3. Re: Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    Il Sun, 02 Nov 2008 14:22:12 +0000, Bit Twister ha scritto:

    > I can commiserate with that. I was finally able to create my second
    > Activity desktop by watching a Youtube video. Lo and behold, it did not
    > work like I thought it should.
    >
    > I bookmarked these for newbies. Ignore quality and sound, if any.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhODrJkoidA # ZUI demo
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpf_Snc4DI&NR=1 # Effects of
    > KDE4.1 Beta2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kk73...eature=related
    > # Using the Folder View
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9St0P...eature=related # new
    > panel-less kde plasma desktop layout

    Tnx, I'm going to look

  4. Re: Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 02 Nov 2008 06:31:02 GMT, scassa15 wrote:
    >> Resignation: I'm surrendering to KDE4.x, because it will be however the
    >> Kde's future.
    >> But now as now I know nothing of the new desktop environment, Dolphin and
    >> its rules, the plasmoids, the panel above all and its widgets who change
    >> as want, unconfigurable and unattainable as an eel, and all the other
    >> novelties: a disaster, GRRRR!

    > I can commiserate with that. I was finally able to create my second
    > Activity desktop by watching a Youtube video. Lo and behold, it did not work
    > like I thought it should.
    >
    > I bookmarked these for newbies. Ignore quality and sound, if any.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhODrJkoidA # ZUI demo
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpf_Snc4DI&NR=1 # Effects of KDE4.1 Beta2
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kk73...eature=related # Using the Folder View
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9St0P...eature=related # new panel-less kde plasma desktop layout

    Oh, great, this is what I get for playing when I don't have a clue about
    what I'm doing. Just to see what would happen, I "zoomed out," and
    clicked on "add activity." OK, that's cute, but for right now I'd like
    to remove it again, 'cause I don't have the RAM for that sort of thing.
    So I start looking around, and there's no "Remove Activity" button or
    function or whatever that I can find. Good thing I didn't go wild with
    creating these things.

    Why would anybody release something like this that can be activated, but
    not shut off? Sigh. Does anybody have a clue, because I sure don't -
    just like I don't have a clue about how to shut the unwanted activity off.

    BTW, while KDE 3.5 and Mandriva 2008.1 worked fine with my Athlon XP
    1900+ and 512MB of RAM, KDE 4.0 feels... sluggish in comparison. I guess
    it's time to boost my RAM to the 2GB this motherboard can handle. Sigh.
    Good thing prices have fallen since the last time I looked.

    TJ

  5. Re: Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:02:40 -0500, TJ wrote:

    > Oh, great, this is what I get for playing when I don't have a clue about
    > what I'm doing. Just to see what would happen, I "zoomed out," and
    > clicked on "add activity." OK, that's cute, but for right now I'd like
    > to remove it again, 'cause I don't have the RAM for that sort of thing.
    > So I start looking around, and there's no "Remove Activity" button or
    > function or whatever that I can find. Good thing I didn't go wild with
    > creating these things.

    How rude, you are correct. Guess you have to look through ~/.kde4 to
    see where they hide the Activity sets.

    > Why would anybody release something like this that can be activated, but
    > not shut off? Sigh. Does anybody have a clue, because I sure don't -
    > just like I don't have a clue about how to shut the unwanted activity off.

    Heheheh, that is why I have a junk user account. I log into junk, play
    around and good changes go into bittwister's settings.

    When I screw up junk, I delete/create junk and play some more.

    > BTW, while KDE 3.5 and Mandriva 2008.1 worked fine with my Athlon XP
    > 1900+ and 512MB of RAM, KDE 4.0 feels... sluggish in comparison. I guess
    > it's time to boost my RAM to the 2GB this motherboard can handle. Sigh.
    > Good thing prices have fallen since the last time I looked.

    Yep, boosted my 1 gig to 3 gig of memory.
    Installed a virtual machine and now can boot whatever
    distribution/release in about 6 seconds and still run my "Production" install.

    See http://virtualbox.org

  6. Re: Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:02:40 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, great, this is what I get for playing when I don't have a clue about
    >> what I'm doing. Just to see what would happen, I "zoomed out," and
    >> clicked on "add activity." OK, that's cute, but for right now I'd like
    >> to remove it again, 'cause I don't have the RAM for that sort of thing.
    >> So I start looking around, and there's no "Remove Activity" button or
    >> function or whatever that I can find. Good thing I didn't go wild with
    >> creating these things.

    > How rude, you are correct. Guess you have to look through ~/.kde4 to
    > see where they hide the Activity sets.
    >

    >> Why would anybody release something like this that can be activated, but
    >> not shut off? Sigh. Does anybody have a clue, because I sure don't -
    >> just like I don't have a clue about how to shut the unwanted activity off.

    > Heheheh, that is why I have a junk user account. I log into junk, play
    > around and good changes go into bittwister's settings.
    >
    > When I screw up junk, I delete/create junk and play some more.

    AHA! Found it! And I found it in, of all places, the KDE 4 Techbase:

    http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/FAQ

    Thing is, though, there was a familiar thread running through the sites
    Google directed me to before I hit the right search phrase. A number of
    folks in many distros are of the opinion that KDE 4 isn't quite ready
    for general release yet. I haven't used it enough to form a personal
    opinion, so I won't add my two cents, except to say that I think they
    should have made removing activities as easy as adding them.

    TJ

  7. Re: Mandriva2008-2009: where are large Guides to KDE4.X?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:02:40 -0500, TJ wrote:
    >

    >> BTW, while KDE 3.5 and Mandriva 2008.1 worked fine with my Athlon XP
    >> 1900+ and 512MB of RAM, KDE 4.0 feels... sluggish in comparison. I guess
    >> it's time to boost my RAM to the 2GB this motherboard can handle. Sigh.
    >> Good thing prices have fallen since the last time I looked.

    > Yep, boosted my 1 gig to 3 gig of memory.
    > Installed a virtual machine and now can boot whatever
    > distribution/release in about 6 seconds and still run my "Production" install.
    >
    > See http://virtualbox.org

    Newegg has a PNY 2G kit that should work for me for around $46 US. I
    need PC2100 DDR, and this PC3200 DDR is supposed to be
    backward-compatible. Let's hope. There's lots cheaper stuff around, but
    that high-density stuff probably won't work with my motherboard. It was
    more than twice as much last January.

    I'm hoping that with more RAM the Windows apps I still use will run
    better with Crossover. For example, maybe vlc(Windows) won't be as jerky
    when I play that mp4 video that won't play on any Linux app I've tried.

    Then maybe, just maybe, I can dump Windows itself for good.

    TJ

+ Reply to Thread