Not wanting upgrade to 2009. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Not wanting upgrade to 2009. - Mandriva ; A fix for the prompt to upgrade was posted. The following from Fred is typical: > You can stop this by changing this line, > > DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true > > to true, in the /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet file > Since then, the applet ...

  1. Not wanting upgrade to 2009.

    A fix for the prompt to upgrade was posted. The following from Fred is
    typical:

    > You can stop this by changing this line,
    >
    > DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true
    >
    > to true, in the /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet file

    Since then, the applet has been upgraded twice and the file restored to the
    default. And I thought that Linux wasn't Windows?

    Doug.
    --
    The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said.
    - Peter E. Drucker.

  2. Re: Not wanting upgrade to 2009.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > A fix for the prompt to upgrade was posted. The following from Fred is
    > typical:
    >
    >> You can stop this by changing this line,
    >>
    >> DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true
    >>
    >> to true, in the /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet file
    >>

    > Since then, the applet has been upgraded twice and the file restored to
    > the
    > default. And I thought that Linux wasn't Windows?

    Doug,

    You obviously enjoy tilting at windmills The suggested solution you
    quote was, IMHO, never the best one.

    What I did, and it made sense to me then, was when the invitation to upgrade
    came up was to say no and then to check a box to indicate that I did not
    want the invitation to return. I tried to investigate that now, but it
    seems some update has removed the upgrade invitation...

    In any case, the effect of indicating 'no' was to change the contents of the
    file in ~/.MdkOnline called mdkonline, so the line there reads
    DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true (as per the original suggestion). Since
    this was in the user file area, the update would *not* affect this setting.

    HTH

    Rob.

  3. Re: Not wanting upgrade to 2009.

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:57:47 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Since then, the applet has been upgraded twice and the file restored to the
    > default. And I thought that Linux wasn't Windows?

    How odd. Mine has yet to change. Then again, I am using the free dvd install
    and had changed it to a link.

    $ cat /etc/release

    $ ls -al /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-05-24 21:59
    /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet -> /local/bin/mdkapplet

    $ cat /local/bin/mdkapplet
    #************************************************* ************************
    #
    # /usr/bin/mdkapplet config file
    #
    # UPDATE_FREQUENCY=nnnn
    # FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=ffff
    #
    # nnnn = number of seconds (28800 is 8hr * 60min * 60sec)
    # ffff = number of seconds times 1000 (600000 is 6min * 60sec * 1000)
    #
    #
    # Install: ln -s /local/bin/mdkapplet /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet
    #
    #************************************************* ************************

    UPDATE_FREQUENCY=28800
    FIRST_CHECK_DELAY=600000
    # Globally enable or disable check for new distribution
    # (in order to offer live distro upgrade):
    # (default is "false", meaning check will be done)
    DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=true

    $ ls -al ~/.MdkOnline
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 2 bittwister bittwister 4096 2008-05-24 22:07 .
    drwx--x--x 38 bittwister bittwister 12288 2008-10-31 06:50 ..

+ Reply to Thread