Partition - used area anomaly - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Partition - used area anomaly - Mandriva ; I just moved my /home partition to a new and bigger (58GB) one. $ df Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda8 58G 51G 7,8G 87% /home KDiskfree tells me same thing as df. Checking properties/general for /home partition ...

  1. Partition - used area anomaly

    I just moved my /home partition to a new and bigger (58GB) one.

    $ df
    /dev/sda8 58G 51G 7,8G 87% /home

    KDiskfree tells me same thing as df.

    Checking properties/general for /home partition in Konqueror tells me
    Size: 24.3 GB and no. of files etc.
    Mounted on: /home
    Free disk space: 7.8 GB out of 58GB (87%) used)

    I read this as two different opinions about the used area in /home.

    Adding up the size of the folders in /home I get about 24 GB just like
    the 'Size' part of 'properties' says.

    What am I missing here?

  2. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    On Friday 31 October 2008 02:15, someone identifying as *Iordani* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > I just moved my /home partition to a new and bigger (58GB) one.
    >
    > $ df
    > /dev/sda8 58G 51G 7,8G 87% /home
    >
    > KDiskfree tells me same thing as df.
    >
    > Checking properties/general for /home partition in Konqueror tells me
    > Size: 24.3 GB and no. of files etc.
    > Mounted on: /home
    > Free disk space: 7.8 GB out of 58GB (87%) used)
    >
    > I read this as two different opinions about the used area in /home.
    >
    > Adding up the size of the folders in /home I get about 24 GB just like
    > the 'Size' part of 'properties' says.
    >
    > What am I missing here?

    I presume it's only reporting the size of the directories - not "folders",
    please ;-) - and files in the physical root directory of that filesystem,
    without taking their respective subdirectories into account.

    Just a guess, though. I normally don't use GUI tools to check for used
    diskspace.

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  3. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Friday 31 October 2008 02:15, someone identifying as *Iordani* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> I just moved my /home partition to a new and bigger (58GB) one.
    >>
    >> $ df
    >> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    >> /dev/sda8 58G 51G 7,8G 87% /home
    >>
    >> KDiskfree tells me same thing as df.
    >>
    >> Checking properties/general for /home partition in Konqueror tells me
    >> Size: 24.3 GB and no. of files etc.
    >> Mounted on: /home
    >> Free disk space: 7.8 GB out of 58GB (87%) used)
    >>
    >> I read this as two different opinions about the used area in /home.
    >>
    >> Adding up the size of the folders in /home I get about 24 GB just like
    >> the 'Size' part of 'properties' says.
    >>
    >> What am I missing here?

    > I presume it's only reporting the size of the directories - not "folders",
    > please ;-) - and files in the physical root directory of that filesystem,
    > without taking their respective subdirectories into account.
    >
    > Just a guess, though. I normally don't use GUI tools to check for used
    > diskspace.

    Well, folders or not, something is very wrong.

    Currently df shows me this
    /dev/sda1 39G 29G 8,1G 78% /
    /dev/sda7 58G 51G 7,0G 88% /home

    Kdirstat shows me this for sda1

    * *3.65 GB */
    * *2.27 GB */usr
    *1012.0 MB */root
    * 295.5 MB */var
    * *56.5 MB */lib
    * *28.7 MB */etc
    * * 7.1 MB */sbin
    * * 6.6 MB */boot
    * * 6.4 MB */bin
    * *36.6 kB */tmp
    * *16.0 kB */lost+found
    * *15.2 kB */dev
    * * 8.0 kB */media
    * * 7.3 kB */.kde
    * * 6.0 kB */mnt
    * * 4.1 kB */initrd
    * * 4.0 kB */home
    * * 4.0 kB */opt
    * * 4.0 kB */test
    * *0 Bytes */proc
    * *0 Bytes */sys
    * *0 Bytes *//

    Seems to me to be a normal space for a linux system and far from df:s 29GB!

    Kdirstat shows me 26.02 GB for /home on sda7

    Far from df:s 51GB

    So what can be wrong and how can I correct this?

    Thanks

  4. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    Iordani wrote:

    > 3.65 GB */
    > 2.27 GB */usr
    > 1012.0 MB */root
    > 295.5 MB */var
    > 56.5 MB */lib
    > 28.7 MB */etc
    > 7.1 MB */sbin
    > 6.6 MB */boot
    > 6.4 MB */bin
    > 36.6 kB */tmp
    > 16.0 kB */lost+found
    > 15.2 kB */dev
    > 8.0 kB */media
    > 7.3 kB */.kde
    > 6.0 kB */mnt
    > 4.1 kB */initrd
    > 4.0 kB */home
    > 4.0 kB */opt
    > 4.0 kB */test
    > 0 Bytes */proc
    > 0 Bytes */sys
    > 0 Bytes *//

    Ooops! I now see that I have two /home!!!
    This is very strange...

  5. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    Iordani wrote:

    I have now solved part of the problem.
    I had deleted a lot of files from /home and emptied trash.
    Kdirstat showed that there were still some 26GB in trash but 'empty trash
    bin' was greyed out. I was able to delete those files from kdirstat. So
    now df shows the correct used space for /home

    It still shows wrong used space for / (sda1) though.

    /dev/sda1 39G 29G 8,1G 78% /
    /dev/sda7 58G 27G 32G 46% /home

  6. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:29:34 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > It still shows wrong used space for / (sda1) though.
    > /dev/sda1 39G 29G 8,1G 78% /
    > /dev/sda7 58G 27G 32G 46% /home

    Try unmounting /home, and then checking the directory /home on the root file
    system, to see if you have any hidden files there. Same for any other
    directories normally used as mount points.

    Also, there is a bug in kdirstat that prevents it from seeing large files.
    To get it to see the large files, select Settings, Configure KdirStat,
    and unselect the option "Use Optimized Local Directory Read Methods",
    on the general tab. I don't know what the cutoff is for the size, but I
    have a 9GB file, that it doesn't report, with the optimized setting.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:29:34 -0400, Iordani wrote:
    >
    >> It still shows wrong used space for / (sda1) though.
    >> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    >> /dev/sda1 39G 29G 8,1G 78% /
    >> /dev/sda7 58G 27G 32G 46% /home

    > Try unmounting /home, and then checking the directory /home on the root
    > file
    > system, to see if you have any hidden files there. Same for any other
    > directories normally used as mount points.

    This was very useful. First, could you explain one thing please. If I
    have created (a new) /home on its own partition, and in doing so have
    chosen *not* to keep the files in original /home but to move them to the
    new /home, do I still have a hidden /home in the root directory?

    When I unmount /dev/sda7 and look in /, I still have a /home looking about
    the same as it was before a moved it. Obviously I must have chosen to keep
    my old /home when creating the new partition rather than to move them. So,
    can I just rm those directories now? And just leave /home as an empty
    directory?

    > Also, there is a bug in kdirstat that prevents it from seeing large files.
    > To get it to see the large files, select Settings, Configure KdirStat,
    > and unselect the option "Use Optimized Local Directory Read Methods",
    > on the general tab. I don't know what the cutoff is for the size, but I
    > have a 9GB file, that it doesn't report, with the optimized setting.

    I did change that setting but after 40 mins. of reading, when the subdirs
    count had reached 3.3 million !!! a halted kdirstat and then it stopped
    responding. So something is really wrong here. Somehow it must read and
    reread the same thing in some loop or something...

    Thanks

  8. Re: Partition - used area anomaly

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 05:00:01 -0400, Iordani wrote:

    > This was very useful. First, could you explain one thing please. If I
    > have created (a new) /home on its own partition, and in doing so have
    > chosen *not* to keep the files in original /home but to move them to the
    > new /home, do I still have a hidden /home in the root directory?

    If the move worked, the /home directory on the root filesystem would be empty.
    Either you forgot to tell it to move the files, or the move failed, which
    could happen if the permissions were such that root could not read the
    directory, or some of it's contents. There are a number of situations
    where gui tools like diskdrake run commands that fail, and the gui doesn't
    let you know what has failed, or that anything has failed.

    > When I unmount /dev/sda7 and look in /, I still have a /home looking about
    > the same as it was before a moved it. Obviously I must have chosen to keep
    > my old /home when creating the new partition rather than to move them. So,
    > can I just rm those directories now? And just leave /home as an empty
    > directory?

    I'd umount /dev/sda7, rename /home to /oldhome, and create a new /home, then
    mount /dev/sda7. That way you can compare the file names and contents,
    between /home and /oldhome, to see if there's anything there you want, before
    deleting it.

    > I did change that setting but after 40 mins. of reading, when the subdirs
    > count had reached 3.3 million !!! a halted kdirstat and then it stopped
    > responding. So something is really wrong here. Somehow it must read and
    > reread the same thing in some loop or something...

    You can work with the optimized reading, provided you're aware that it won't
    see really big files, and know where they are, so you can make sense of the
    sizes it's reporting. As far as I know, the only file I'm have that kdirstat
    doesn't see, is the 9+GB VirtualBox .vdi file where I have xp installed.

    I've just encountered the same problem. It seems that kdirstat doesn't like
    the directories in ~/.macromedia/Flash_Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys
    which have names starting with the # character. I'll file a bug report for that.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  9. Re: Partition - used area anomaly - SOLVED

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    So the problem with my /home was I could not, for some unknown reason,
    empty the 'trash bin'. And the problem with / was self inflicted.

    Thanks so much for helping me out here.
    And good work to find out the reason for kdirstats behavior.

+ Reply to Thread