WiFi from 2009.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on WiFi from 2009.0 - Mandriva ; My wireless network is set up with WEP enabled and filtered by known MAC addresses. My netbook has been configured to match and works very well. Twice though, I have tried to get a connection at places claiming that they ...

  1. WiFi from 2009.0

    My wireless network is set up with WEP enabled and filtered by known MAC
    addresses. My netbook has been configured to match and works very well.

    Twice though, I have tried to get a connection at places claiming that they
    have no security settings of any kind but I cannot get the machine to
    connect. On each occasion the reported signal strength was more than
    adequate.

    For further tests, how should I set up the configuration to try to beat this
    impasse?

  2. Re: WiFi from 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > My wireless network is set up with WEP enabled and filtered by known MAC
    > addresses. My netbook has been configured to match and works very well.
    >
    > Twice though, I have tried to get a connection at places claiming that they
    > have no security settings of any kind but I cannot get the machine to
    > connect. On each occasion the reported signal strength was more than
    > adequate.
    >
    > For further tests, how should I set up the configuration to try to beat this
    > impasse?

    If your wireless is trying to talk WEP to an access point that does
    not use it (and does not have your password for it), you might have a
    problem. Likewise if your wireless will only talk to addresses
    specified by MAC, and the MAC of the insecure site is not known to
    your wireless.

    Set up a network connection that does not use WEP or MAC filtering
    and use that for the insecure places. Make sure you are properly
    firewalled. SafeHex practices are encouraged.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: WiFi from 2009.0

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> My wireless network is set up with WEP enabled and filtered by known MAC
    >> addresses. My netbook has been configured to match and works very well.
    >>
    >> Twice though, I have tried to get a connection at places claiming that
    >> they have no security settings of any kind but I cannot get the machine
    >> to connect. On each occasion the reported signal strength was more than
    >> adequate.
    >>
    >> For further tests, how should I set up the configuration to try to beat
    >> this impasse?

    > If your wireless is trying to talk WEP to an access point that does
    > not use it (and does not have your password for it), you might have a
    > problem. Likewise if your wireless will only talk to addresses
    > specified by MAC, and the MAC of the insecure site is not known to
    > your wireless.
    >
    > Set up a network connection that does not use WEP or MAC filtering
    > and use that for the insecure places. Make sure you are properly
    > firewalled. SafeHex practices are encouraged.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Perhaps my original message was a model of opacity. The wireless set up window in KDE 4.1 invites the user to configure each of the signal sources it displays. Where I live I have occasionally picked up up to eight!

    To connect to one of them it first has to be selected and then configured. the configuration process requires the selection of a number of parameters. The first is Operation Mode. The options for this are:

    Ad Hoc
    Managed
    Master
    Repeater
    Secondary
    Auto

    So in an open hotspot I chose Auto.

    The next parameter is Encryption Mode::

    None
    Open WEP
    Restricted WEP
    WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
    WPA/WPA2 Shared Key

    Again, in a security-free zone I chose None. Yet in neither case could I gain a connection. As I write this and with only a 9% signal, I have perfect access, albeit in a restricted WEP environment.

    Can you suggest any better selections? I'll have to find another open test hotspot and keep trying.

    Regards

    Alan

  4. Re: WiFi from 2009.0

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:54:23 +0000, Alan Secker & Co wrote:

    > To connect to one of them it first has to be selected and then
    > configured. the configuration process requires the selection of a number
    > of parameters. The first is Operation Mode.

    > Yet in neither case could I
    > gain a connection. As I write this and with only a 9% signal, I have
    > perfect access, albeit in a restricted WEP environment.

    Adam Williamson has suggested changing the network connection from using
    dhclient to using dhcpcd, which has been reported to give better results
    for many people in this kind of wireless situation.

  5. Re: WiFi from 2009.0

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:54:23 +0000, Alan Secker & Co wrote:
    >
    >> To connect to one of them it first has to be selected and then
    >> configured. the configuration process requires the selection of a number
    >> of parameters. The first is Operation Mode.

    >> Yet in neither case could I
    >> gain a connection. As I write this and with only a 9% signal, I have
    >> perfect access, albeit in a restricted WEP environment.

    > Adam Williamson has suggested changing the network connection from using
    > dhclient to using dhcpcd, which has been reported to give better results
    > for many people in this kind of wireless situation.

    Yes I did that when it was first published. Until then nothing would connect
    at all!

+ Reply to Thread