apache message - Mandriva

This is a discussion on apache message - Mandriva ; Setting up a apache server to install mysql and joomlla. Mandriva 2009.0 on localhost on a desktop box. Wireless link to Wireless ADSL router. When using the drakwizard on apache2 I get the message "You are in dhcp, server may ...

  1. apache message

    Setting up a apache server to install mysql and joomlla.

    Mandriva 2009.0 on localhost on a desktop box. Wireless link to Wireless
    ADSL router.

    When using the drakwizard on apache2 I get the message "You are in dhcp,
    server may not work with your settings".

    I've googled for this message without any luck. Any suggestions what I
    might need to do next.

    Josef

  2. Re: apache message

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:23:21 -0500, josef wrote:

    > Setting up a apache server to install mysql and joomlla.
    >
    > Mandriva 2009.0 on localhost on a desktop box. Wireless link to Wireless
    > ADSL router.
    >
    > When using the drakwizard on apache2 I get the message "You are in dhcp,
    > server may not work with your settings".
    >
    > I've googled for this message without any luck. Any suggestions what I
    > might need to do next.

    DHCP means you get a dynamic IP address assigned to the server machine
    from your router. Your router is what actually has the internet
    connection. You should change the setup to a static IP address and if you
    want to give access to people outside your lan, you will need to open port
    80 to your box. Unless you have a business account you probably have a
    dynamic IP address from Verizon. If that's the case, you will need to use
    a dynamic dns service like no-ip.com to route outside people to your
    server. Verizon may also be blocking port 80 access to you. If that's the
    case, you'll have to have it redirected from another port.

  3. Re: apache message

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:23:21 -0500, josef wrote:
    >
    >> Setting up a apache server to install mysql and joomlla.
    >>
    >> Mandriva 2009.0 on localhost on a desktop box. Wireless link to Wireless
    >> ADSL router.
    >>
    >> When using the drakwizard on apache2 I get the message "You are in dhcp,
    >> server may not work with your settings".
    >>
    >> I've googled for this message without any luck. Any suggestions what I
    >> might need to do next.
    >>

    > DHCP means you get a dynamic IP address assigned to the server machine
    > from your router. Your router is what actually has the internet
    > connection. You should change the setup to a static IP address and if you
    > want to give access to people outside your lan, you will need to open port
    > 80 to your box. Unless you have a business account you probably have a
    > dynamic IP address from Verizon. If that's the case, you will need to use
    > a dynamic dns service like no-ip.com to route outside people to your
    > server. Verizon may also be blocking port 80 access to you. If that's the
    > case, you'll have to have it redirected from another port.

    Come to think of it, I do believe the Verizon terms and conditions
    for residential FIOS service prohibits running a server of any kind.
    Whether this is actually enforced or not I do not know.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: apache message

    On 2008-10-31, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:23:21 -0500, josef wrote:
    >>
    >>> Setting up a apache server to install mysql and joomlla.
    >>>
    >>> Mandriva 2009.0 on localhost on a desktop box. Wireless link to Wireless
    >>> ADSL router.
    >>>
    >>> When using the drakwizard on apache2 I get the message "You are in dhcp,
    >>> server may not work with your settings".
    >>>
    >>> I've googled for this message without any luck. Any suggestions what I
    >>> might need to do next.
    >>>

    >> DHCP means you get a dynamic IP address assigned to the server machine
    >> from your router. Your router is what actually has the internet
    >> connection. You should change the setup to a static IP address and if you
    >> want to give access to people outside your lan, you will need to open port
    >> 80 to your box. Unless you have a business account you probably have a
    >> dynamic IP address from Verizon. If that's the case, you will need to use
    >> a dynamic dns service like no-ip.com to route outside people to your
    >> server. Verizon may also be blocking port 80 access to you. If that's the
    >> case, you'll have to have it redirected from another port.

    > Come to think of it, I do believe the Verizon terms and conditions
    > for residential FIOS service prohibits running a server of any kind.
    > Whether this is actually enforced or not I do not know.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Jim, you are right about the prohibition in the terms and
    conditions.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  5. Re: apache message

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:25:39 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Come to think of it, I do believe the Verizon terms and conditions for
    > residential FIOS service prohibits running a server of any kind.
    > Whether this is actually enforced or not I do not know.

    My original T&C with DSL had no such limitations. When I saw the
    limitations on fios, I told them I wouldn't change under those conditions.
    They said not to worry about it. Later found out they blocked port 80 in
    fios. No big deal, I just used another port. I've been running my server
    ever since I switched to verizon DSL years ago. So I don't think they
    enforce it.