Re: Heads up for Mac (and Linux) users: run XNews without 'Doze - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: Heads up for Mac (and Linux) users: run XNews without 'Doze - Mandriva ; On 2008-10-28, Sn!pe wrote: > [xposted: news.software.readers; comp.sys.mac.apps] > > Please pardon this hit'n'run post and apologies if this is old news. > > Codeweavers have made CrossOver Mac Pro available for free > unlocked full-version downloads for ***today 28 ...

  1. Re: Heads up for Mac (and Linux) users: run XNews without 'Doze

    On 2008-10-28, Sn!pe wrote:
    > [xposted: news.software.readers; comp.sys.mac.apps]
    >
    > Please pardon this hit'n'run post and apologies if this is old news.
    >
    > Codeweavers have made CrossOver Mac Pro available for free
    > unlocked full-version downloads for ***today 28 October only.***
    > This Wine based (I think) prog apparently does not require the prior
    > installation of 'Doze to be able to run 'Doze apps on OS X.
    >

    > Disclaimer! I'm not associated with Codeweavers and I've only just
    > found this so I can't vouch for it; however, it seems to run XNews OK,
    > I'm testing it now on OS X. I understand there is also a Linux version
    > available.

    By Jove! There is indeed a Linux installation on offer too. Now, at
    last, I can use Internet Explore and Outlook Express!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  2. Re: Heads up for Mac (and Linux) users: run XNews without 'Doze

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-10-28, Sn!pe wrote:
    >> [xposted: news.software.readers; comp.sys.mac.apps]
    >>
    >> Please pardon this hit'n'run post and apologies if this is old news.
    >>
    >> Codeweavers have made CrossOver Mac Pro available for free
    >> unlocked full-version downloads for ***today 28 October only.***
    >> This Wine based (I think) prog apparently does not require the prior
    >> installation of 'Doze to be able to run 'Doze apps on OS X.
    >>

    >> Disclaimer! I'm not associated with Codeweavers and I've only just
    >> found this so I can't vouch for it; however, it seems to run XNews OK,
    >> I'm testing it now on OS X. I understand there is also a Linux version
    >> available.

    > By Jove! There is indeed a Linux installation on offer too. Now, at
    > last, I can use Internet Explore and Outlook Express!

    I trust you are being a little sarcastic. At work, I am required to
    use Internet Exploder to use Sun Global Desktop (formerly
    Tarantella) to gain access from my mandatory-XP machine to a Solaris
    machine critical to my tasks, and Lookout Express is mandatory for
    the in-house newsgroups.

    I use Firefox for all browsing, and even the Micro$loth sysadmins
    tell me that Lookout Express should not be used for anything if there
    is an alternative.

    No cheers.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Heads up for Mac (and Linux) users: run XNews without 'Doze

    Whiskers wrote:

    > By Jove! There is indeed a Linux installation on offer too. Now, at
    > last, I can use Internet Explore and Outlook Express!

    There's no accounting for taste, eh, Whiskers? The point of my post was
    that Crossover costs nothing (today only) and it facilitates the use of
    XNews on Mac OS X, which has been the subject of a few threads here in
    nsr. It's no skin off my nose if some people pass up this opportunity.

    Apart from that, I reckon this thread is a candidate for the fastest
    topic-drift this week.

    [fu set: nsr]

    --
    Sn!pe ^^

    WARNING! This item must be placed next to a wall for stability.
    Please keep away from children in case they pull it over.

  4. Re: Heads up for Mac (and Linux) users: run XNews without 'Doze

    On 2008-10-28, Jim Beard wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    >> By Jove! There is indeed a Linux installation on offer too. Now, at
    >> last, I can use Internet Explore and Outlook Express!
    >>

    > I trust you are being a little sarcastic.

    [...]

    Oh deeply, deeply, sarcastic - fear not ) As a way to get XNews
    working outside a Windows environment, it's a tolerable ploy if you can't
    get along with any of the native newsreaders. XNews kept me using Windows
    for longer than I really wanted to, and I originally tried to get XNews
    working on Linux via 'Wine' but never got it acceptable. But I'd
    discovered that Linux has some more than adequate newsreaders of its own,
    by the time I gave up on XNews.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread