sound flv - Mandriva

This is a discussion on sound flv - Mandriva ; Hi people i'm new, i want understand why my mandriva don't working audio on flv video? now i'm using mandriva 2005 LE,its impossible update this distro or is better format and reinstall new version linux? thnks everybody for reply.....

  1. sound flv

    Hi people i'm new,
    i want understand why my mandriva don't working audio on flv video?
    now i'm using mandriva 2005 LE,its impossible update this distro or
    is better format and reinstall new version linux?

    thnks everybody for reply..

  2. Re: sound flv

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:58:00 -0400, MandroLinux wrote:

    > Hi people i'm new,

    Welcome to the group.

    > i want understand why my mandriva don't working audio on flv video?
    > now i'm using mandriva 2005 LE,its impossible update this distro or
    > is better format and reinstall new version linux?

    Flash video has frequently been a problem on linux, but seems to be
    working fairly well now.

    Mandriva 2005 is no longer getting security updates, so I'd do a clean
    install of a newer version. See
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/mandriva-...ifetime-policy

    There have been too many changes since 2005, to consider trying to
    update in place.

    You can download the current version (2009.0, aka 2009 spring) from
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: sound flv

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > You can download the current version (2009.0, aka 2009 spring) from
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    ======================================
    If MDV2009.0 is called 2009 spring , what will then be the
    name for MDV2009.1 probably available in April-May 2009 ?

    Frank

  4. Re: sound flv

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:58:00 -0400, MandroLinux
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi people i'm new,

    > Welcome to the group.
    >
    >> i want understand why my mandriva don't working audio on flv video?
    >> now i'm using mandriva 2005 LE,its impossible update this distro or
    >> is better format and reinstall new version linux?

    > Flash video has frequently been a problem on linux, but seems to be
    > working fairly well now.
    >
    > Mandriva 2005 is no longer getting security updates, so I'd do a clean
    > install of a newer version. See
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/mandriva-...ifetime-policy
    >
    > There have been too many changes since 2005, to consider trying to
    > update in place.
    >
    > You can download the current version (2009.0, aka 2009 spring) from
    > http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    thank you very much Dave for advices
    i've another question,what change if i to do install a distro whit 3 cd and
    1 only?
    which is then better for update it in the future?

    thanks again...

  5. Re: sound flv

    On Wednesday 29 October 2008 10:57, someone identifying as *MandroLinux*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > i've another question,what change if i to do install a distro whit 3 cd
    > and 1 only?

    The Mandriva One CD is intended as an (installable) live CD, so it won't
    have as much software as the 3-CD version.

    Personally I recommend that live CD's be used for what they were designed,
    i.e. system diagnosis, experimenting with a new distro, et al. If you're
    really going to install the system on your hard disk, then use the 3-CD
    version, and if you want full functionality - i.e. proprietary nVidia
    drivers, proprietary wireless drivers, Flash, Win32 audio/video codecs, et
    al - then I would advise you to purchase the PowerPack Edition.

    It's not that expensive, it'll save you a lot of work (as a newbie) and
    you'd be supporting a good cause. ;-)

    > which is then better for update it in the future?

    There is no difference, because this depends on what you update it with. If
    you're going to update using a Mandriva One while you have a 3-CD version
    on your hard disk, then of course not everything will get updated.

    This is why it's also important to set up your /urpmi/ repositories. Follow
    the instructions at...

    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: sound flv

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:40:12 -0400, Highland Ham wrote:

    > If MDV2009.0 is called 2009 spring , what will then be the
    > name for MDV2009.1 probably available in April-May 2009 ?

    Oops! Yeah, the .1 versions are the spring editions.

    Wishful thinking on my part. Had our first snow of the year last
    night. About 6 inches (15cm) of heavy wet snow. Many of the trees still
    have their leaves, so there are branches down all over the city. Power
    was out from about 3am till about 1pm.

    Wishing I was in the southern hemisphere right about now, rather then
    Southwestern Ontario, Canada.

    At least this snow will melt in a day or two.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: sound flv

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 05:57:06 -0400, MandroLinux wrote:

    > i've another question,what change if i to do install a distro whit 3 cd and
    > 1 only?
    > which is then better for update it in the future?

    If you have a reasonable download speed, it doesn't make much of a difference,
    whether you use the single live cd, the three cd set, or the dvd to install.
    Once you've got urpmi or smart set up, you can install everything else from the
    net.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: sound flv

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 14:06:11 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Had our first snow of the year last night.

    Same here in Surrey, UK - just a covering, but the first time in
    70+ years that there has been any snow in the South in October!

    (Must be global warming...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: sound flv

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Had our first snow of the year last
    > night. About 6 inches (15cm) of heavy wet snow. Many of the trees still
    > have their leaves, so there are branches down all over the city. Power
    > was out from about 3am till about 1pm.

    Coincidentally, we had our first snow last night - about an inch in London UK!
    This is unusual - the last time we had snow in London in October was in 1903.

    C.

  10. ATT: David W Hodgins

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    Hi David
    Is this also available for use to munge an email address to avoid spam.

    --
    faeychild

  11. Re: sound flv

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Wishful thinking on my part. Had our first snow of the year last
    > night. About 6 inches (15cm) of heavy wet snow. Many of the trees still
    > have their leaves, so there are branches down all over the city. Power
    > was out from about 3am till about 1pm.
    >
    > Wishing I was in the southern hemisphere right about now, rather then
    > Southwestern Ontario, Canada.
    >
    > At least this snow will melt in a day or two.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Half your luck. I like the cold although I am yet to actually see snow.

    We are looking not so forward to 30 degrees today ( 86" F )
    and sultry. It is only 8 AM and it's already quite sticky
    --
    faeychild

  12. Re: ATT: David W Hodgins

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:04:50 -0400, faeychild wrote:

    > Is this also available for use to munge an email address to avoid spam.

    I wouldn't use it for regular email, as either the sending or receiving
    mta would probably reject it, due to the spf records that say there are
    no ip addresses, authorized to send.

    What type of place, other then usenet, were you thinking of using it for?
    For usenet from addresses, I've given blanket permission to everyone.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  13. Re: sound flv

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 05:57:06 -0400, MandroLinux
    > wrote:
    >
    >> i've another question,what change if i to do install a distro whit 3 cd
    >> and 1 only?
    >> which is then better for update it in the future?

    > If you have a reasonable download speed, it doesn't make much of a
    > difference, whether you use the single live cd, the three cd set, or the
    > dvd to install. Once you've got urpmi or smart set up, you can install
    > everything else from the net.

    so, i install a live CD then i will download from the net sotware that my
    disto haven't, if i formatting only rot partition and save the partition
    home, my file configuration for singular program i'll to have that?
    you look here my partitions:

    Disk /dev/hdb: 41.1 GB, 41110142976 bytes
    16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 79656 cylinders
    Units = cilindri of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

    Dispositivo Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdb1 * 12177 24366 6143760 83 Linux
    /dev/hdb2 1 79656 40146403+ 5 Esteso
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/hdb5 1 12177 6136767 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hdb6 * 47830 79656 16040776+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/hdb7 24367 25381 511528+ 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hdb8 25382 47829 11313760+ 83 Linux

    i know there is something wrong,but i wont format it only / partition
    and save /home, you what advice me?

    thanks all

  14. Re: sound flv

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:06:43 -0500, MandroLinux wrote:

    > so, i install a live CD then i will download from the net sotware that my
    > disto haven't, if i formatting only rot partition and save the partition
    > home, my file configuration for singular program i'll to have that?
    > you look here my partitions:

    Although keeping the /home partition is desirable, you may find problems
    with some software, that won't like the old configuration files in places
    like ~/.kde, ~/.config, etc. If you have enough space, I'd rename
    /home/yourusername to /home/oldyourusername, and create a new empty
    /home/yourusername. That way the new configuration files will be created
    for you, and you can move just the data from the oldyourusername directory,
    as you need them.

    > Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    > i know there is something wrong,but i wont format it only / partition
    > and save /home, you what advice me?

    You can ignore the warning about the extended partition not ending on a
    cylinder boundry. That will not cause any problems for linux.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins