    And best of all, it's free.

    Thanks, Blinky.

  2. Re: OT: Comcast pulled the plug

    On 2008-10-28, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    > Today Comcast made good on their threat to drop *all* newsgroups.
    > They referred their customers to giganews, which had been providing
    > the service up till now. Problem is, giganews wants 8 bucks a month
    > for their lowest level.
    >
    > Found a post from Blinky the Shark, recommending Motzarella.
    > Signed up, and got back in no time (had to manually purge the
    > Knode indexes because the message numbers weren't the same as giganews')
    > And best of all, it's free.
    >
    > Thanks, Blinky.

    I hope all customers of those ISPs reducing their services will petition
    for and get a reduction in the fees the ISPs charge. Comcast clearly
    recognise that $8 a month is a suitable amount ...

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  3. Re: OT: Comcast pulled the plug

    On 2008-10-28, Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-10-28, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    >> Today Comcast made good on their threat to drop *all* newsgroups.
    >> They referred their customers to giganews, which had been providing
    >> the service up till now. Problem is, giganews wants 8 bucks a month
    >> for their lowest level.
    >>
    >> Found a post from Blinky the Shark, recommending Motzarella.
    >> Signed up, and got back in no time (had to manually purge the
    >> Knode indexes because the message numbers weren't the same as giganews')
    >> And best of all, it's free.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Blinky.

    > I hope all customers of those ISPs reducing their services will petition
    > for and get a reduction in the fees the ISPs charge. Comcast clearly
    > recognise that $8 a month is a suitable amount ...

    When Verizon figuratively burned down the library, I
    switched to news.individual.net for US$16.03 for a year. So
    far, the service has been very good.

    In my case, I had a Verizon cell phone and had already been
    thinking about switching to TracFone. Verizon's act of
    figurative arson pushed the button. I figure that drop will
    cost Verizon nearly $500 per year in lost revenue and will
    save me around $350 per year even after paying for
    news.individual.net. (When I canceled the cell phone, I
    made sure as many people as possible at Verizon knew the
    reason I was canceling.)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  4. Re: OT: Comcast pulled the plug

    On 2008-10-29, Robert Riches wrote:
    > On 2008-10-28, Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2008-10-28, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    >>> Today Comcast made good on their threat to drop *all* newsgroups.
    >>> They referred their customers to giganews, which had been providing
    >>> the service up till now. Problem is, giganews wants 8 bucks a month
    >>> for their lowest level.
    >>>
    >>> Found a post from Blinky the Shark, recommending Motzarella.
    >>> Signed up, and got back in no time (had to manually purge the
    >>> Knode indexes because the message numbers weren't the same as giganews')
    >>> And best of all, it's free.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Blinky.

    >> I hope all customers of those ISPs reducing their services will petition
    >> for and get a reduction in the fees the ISPs charge. Comcast clearly
    >> recognise that $8 a month is a suitable amount ...

    > When Verizon figuratively burned down the library, I
    > switched to news.individual.net for US$16.03 for a year. So
    > far, the service has been very good.
    >
    > In my case, I had a Verizon cell phone and had already been
    > thinking about switching to TracFone. Verizon's act of
    > figurative arson pushed the button. I figure that drop will
    > cost Verizon nearly $500 per year in lost revenue and will
    > save me around $350 per year even after paying for
    > news.individual.net. (When I canceled the cell phone, I
    > made sure as many people as possible at Verizon knew the
    > reason I was canceling.)

    I'm not in the USA, but I get the impression that some people don't have
    the luxury of choice when it comes to ISPs.

    I've been using Individual.net since they were free and called cis.dfn.de
    (or was it dfn.cis.de?) and have always been pleased with the service.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

  5. Re: OT: Comcast pulled the plug

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:13:20 -0700, Bill Pfeifer wrote:

    > Today Comcast made good on their threat to drop *all* newsgroups. They
    > referred their customers to giganews, which had been providing the
    > service up till now. Problem is, giganews wants 8 bucks a month for
    > their lowest level.
    >
    > Found a post from Blinky the Shark, recommending Motzarella. Signed up,
    > and got back in no time (had to manually purge the Knode indexes because
    > the message numbers weren't the same as giganews') And best of all, it's
    > free.
    >
    > Thanks, Blinky.

    Whatever floats your boat. I've been using news.individual.net for a
    couple of years at a cost of one euro per month. No complaints.

  6. Re: OT: Comcast pulled the plug

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Whiskers wrote:

    >Robert Riches wrote:

    >> Whiskers wrote:

    >>> I hope all customers of those ISPs reducing their services will
    >>> petition for and get a reduction in the fees the ISPs charge.
    >>> Comcast clearly recognise that $8 a month is a suitable amount ...

    Depends - in a number of jurisdictions, the rates are set/influenced
    by a government entity, such as the state "Public Utility Commission"
    (which oversees such services as electrical, gas, telephone, and
    cable services).

    >> When Verizon figuratively burned down the library, I
    >> switched to news.individual.net for US$16.03 for a year. So
    >> far, the service has been very good.

    Though in fairness, NIN doesn't carry as many newsgroups as giganews.
    For 99.9 percent of the people, that's probably meaningless, as the
    "extra" groups are probably not of interest/use.

    [compton ~]$ wc -l newsrc
    109170 newsrc
    [compton ~]$ sed -n '/=== cut/,/=== cut/p' big.8.list.* | grep -vc '==='
    2291
    [compton ~]$ grep -Ec '^(comp|humanities|misc|news|rec|sci|soc|talk)\.'
    newsrc
    4696
    [compton ~]$ grep -c linux newsrc
    1160
    [compton ~]$ grep -c linux big.8.list.*
    17
    [compton ~]$

    EXPLANATION: Giganews carries 109170 groups. There are 2291 groups in
    the "official" list (posted monthly to news.announce.newgroups,
    news.groups, and news.lists.misc - also at
    http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.p...aqs:big-8_list), but giganews
    carries 4696 of those 2291 groups (ahhh, right). They carry 1160 groups
    that include the word 'linux' in the name, but only 17 of those are in
    'comp.os.linux.*' area of the big-eight list. Is that a big deal?
    Only if the group[s] you want to read aren't in the server you choose.

    And on the other hand, NIN has _substantially_ less spam.

    >> In my case, I had a Verizon cell phone and had already been
    >> thinking about switching to TracFone. Verizon's act of
    >> figurative arson pushed the button. I figure that drop will
    >> cost Verizon nearly $500 per year in lost revenue and will
    >> save me around $350 per year even after paying for
    >> news.individual.net. (When I canceled the cell phone, I
    >> made sure as many people as possible at Verizon knew the
    >> reason I was canceling.)

    If you are using TracFone, pay attention to the spam^H^H^H^Htext messages
    that they send out - there are usually offers that double the airtime
    for minimal or no extra cost.

    >I'm not in the USA, but I get the impression that some people don't
    >have the luxury of choice when it comes to ISPs.

    They have choice - the question is whether the choices are useful.

    http://www.business.com/directory/in...ernet_service_
    providers_isp/isps_by_country/

    (that's all one line with no spaces) is one example of a listing
    service. For example, I have a choice of two "last mile" providers
    (the providers who own the wires that actually reach my house) in
    the local cable TV provider (Cox) and telephone company (QWest) in
    addition to satellite and wireless links. On cable, I'm stuck with the
    last mile provider (as with satellite and wireless), but DSL can be
    provided by over fifty different ISPs over those wires.

    Old guy

  7. Re: OT: Comcast pulled the plug

    ray wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:13:20 -0700, Bill Pfeifer wrote:
    >
    >> Today Comcast made good on their threat to drop *all* newsgroups. They
    >> referred their customers to giganews, which had been providing the
    >> service up till now. Problem is, giganews wants 8 bucks a month for
    >> their lowest level.
    >>
    >> Found a post from Blinky the Shark, recommending Motzarella. Signed up,
    >> and got back in no time (had to manually purge the Knode indexes because
    >> the message numbers weren't the same as giganews') And best of all, it's
    >> free.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Blinky.

    > Whatever floats your boat. I've been using news.individual.net for a
    > couple of years at a cost of one euro per month. No complaints.

    As has Blinky (well, cheaper, at 10 euros per 12-month year), and before
    that he used it when it was free.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups