GTK Widget Set - Mandriva

This is a discussion on GTK Widget Set - Mandriva ; (With KDE4 "widget" like "gay" has taken on a whole new meaning. KDE4 uses it to mean a "shortcut" or "launcher". I am conservative and using the old meaning. Perhaps it is a progression in language - "making words mean ...

  1. GTK Widget Set

    (With KDE4 "widget" like "gay" has taken on a whole new meaning. KDE4 uses
    it to mean a "shortcut" or "launcher". I am conservative and using the old
    meaning. Perhaps it is a progression in language - "making words mean so
    many different things" as Alice put it to Humpty Dumpty.*)

    I am running 2008.1 with KDE3. The default GNOME widget set, which is used
    for the occasional GNOME app, is really lame compared to those in Ubuntu or
    Fedora. Can I change these in KDE, or must I log into a GNOME desktop?

    (* Ever since that was quoted by Lord Atkin in the House of Lords in a
    wartime case, Humpty Dumpty has been the "patron saint" of lawyers.)

    Doug.
    --
    Dogmatism is only puppyism come to full growth.

  2. Re: GTK Widget Set

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:40:50 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > (With KDE4 "widget" like "gay" has taken on a whole new meaning. KDE4 uses
    > it to mean a "shortcut" or "launcher".

    Widget means just about anything and depends where/what you are
    talking about. For instance the little icons on the corners of an
    application screen are widgets.

    Name for the "widget" top right in the KDE 4 desktop is Cashew

    Some helpful videos found here

    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search_query= kde4 plasma&v=EhODrJkoidA&page=2

    > I am running 2008.1 with KDE3. The default GNOME widget set, which is used
    > for the occasional GNOME app, is really lame compared to those in Ubuntu or
    > Fedora. Can I change these in KDE, or must I log into a GNOME desktop?

    Guessing you mean the icons you see to when create shortcuts. Or maybe
    you mean the widgets you see on the corners of the terminal screen.

    I suggest creating a play account, say, junk. In the past, toggling
    around in themes really dinked up my account. With junk, you can
    delete/create it and start over.

    Log into junk, and play around with Theme Manager under Appearance & Themes.
    Might play around in Icons, Theme, Name selections.

    Once you find the best setting, apply them to doug's account.

    I use:
    Crystal SVG for Icons
    KDE_Classic for Theme Manager
    KDE 2 for Window Decorations

    You also can load extra themes depending on enabled mirrors and application.
    Get into MCC Install/Remove Software and put theme in the search box.

  3. Re: GTK Widget Set

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Widget means just about anything and depends where/what you are
    > talking about. *For instance the little icons on the corners of an
    > application screen are widgets.

    "Just about anything"is right. In the accounting book I used at university,
    widgets were the stock-in-trade used in examples. But "the GTK widget set"
    has a definite meaning.

    Doug.
    --
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people
    who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.

  4. Re: GTK Widget Set

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 02:40:50 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> (With KDE4 "widget" like "gay" has taken on a whole new meaning. KDE4
    >> uses it to mean a "shortcut" or "launcher".

    > Widget means just about anything and depends where/what you are
    > talking about. For instance the little icons on the corners of an
    > application screen are widgets.
    >
    > Name for the "widget" top right in the KDE 4 desktop is Cashew
    >
    > Some helpful videos found here
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search_query= kde4
    > plasma&v=EhODrJkoidA&page=2
    >
    >> I am running 2008.1 with KDE3. The default GNOME widget set, which is
    >> used for the occasional GNOME app, is really lame compared to those in
    >> Ubuntu or
    >> Fedora. Can I change these in KDE, or must I log into a GNOME desktop?

    > Guessing you mean the icons you see to when create shortcuts. Or maybe
    > you mean the widgets you see on the corners of the terminal screen.
    >
    > I suggest creating a play account, say, junk. In the past, toggling
    > around in themes really dinked up my account. With junk, you can
    > delete/create it and start over.
    >
    > Log into junk, and play around with Theme Manager under Appearance &
    > Themes. Might play around in Icons, Theme, Name selections.
    >
    > Once you find the best setting, apply them to doug's account.
    >
    > I use:
    > Crystal SVG for Icons
    > KDE_Classic for Theme Manager
    > KDE 2 for Window Decorations
    >
    > You also can load extra themes depending on enabled mirrors and
    > application. Get into MCC Install/Remove Software and put theme in the
    > search box.

    You didn't read what I asked, which is unusual, I agree.

    In simple, most general terms:

    I am running KDE3 on a Mandriva box. No KDE4.
    I occasionally run a GNOME application, most often Gedit, which brings its
    own icons on the menu bar/icon bar. There must be nicer GNOME icons
    available: the distros that use GNOME as default would be on the
    rubbish-heap if they used these.

    Should I log into a GNOME desktop and change them there? or is there a way
    of doing it from my present desktop? I doubt it. I am changing something
    at the desktop level, which takes it out of MCC, and KDE says "Not my
    problem."

    Doug.
    --
    I am a part of all that I have met.
    - Lord Tennyson, "Ulysses."

  5. Re: GTK Widget Set

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:55:00 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I am running KDE3 on a Mandriva box. No KDE4

    Same here. Difference may be I load both GNOME and KDE desktops during install.

    > I occasionally run a GNOME application, most often Gedit, which brings its
    > own icons on the menu bar/icon bar.

    Yup, I run gedit for root work, emacs for bittwister work.

    > There must be nicer GNOME icons
    > available: the distros that use GNOME as default would be on the
    > rubbish-heap if they used these.

    Not using GNOME desktop, I have no idea how bad they are.

    > Should I log into a GNOME desktop and change them there? or is there a way
    > of doing it from my present desktop?

    One more time.
    Run the KDE Control Center.
    Appearance & Themes
    Icons

    I have 12 themes to select from.

    I can change from Crystal SVG to GNOME or GNOME-Alternative and the
    icons in gedit change.

+ Reply to Thread