2009: Am I late to this party? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2009: Am I late to this party? - Mandriva ; OK, the icons on my laptop's desktop have been replaced by "Widgets", each with it's own little annoying side-tab... And none of them saying anything like "Home". Y'know, sometimes I like to explore my own Home directory... It's sorta like ...

  1. 2009: Am I late to this party?

    OK, the icons on my laptop's desktop have been replaced by "Widgets",
    each with it's own little annoying side-tab... And none of them saying
    anything like "Home".
    Y'know, sometimes I like to explore my own Home directory...
    It's sorta like that other, lesser, OS's "My Documents" directory.
    I've created a "Widget" to launch KDE's Konqueror, and given it a home
    page of my own "Home" directory. That's a work-around, anyway.

    But why doesn't the latest KDE include a link/launcher/shortcut/whatever
    to the user's Home directory?
    Am I missing some simple little thing?

    (Very Confused)

  2. Re: 2009: Am I late to this party?

    none wrote:

    > OK, the icons on my laptop's desktop have been replaced by "Widgets",
    > each with it's own little annoying side-tab... And none of them saying
    > anything like "Home".
    > Y'know, sometimes I like to explore my own Home directory...
    > It's sorta like that other, lesser, OS's "My Documents" directory.
    > I've created a "Widget" to launch KDE's Konqueror, and given it a home
    > page of my own "Home" directory. That's a work-around, anyway.
    >
    > But why doesn't the latest KDE include a link/launcher/shortcut/whatever
    > to the user's Home directory?
    > Am I missing some simple little thing?
    >
    > (Very Confused)

    That is one reason I didn't leave the previous party. KDE4 has gone
    bloodthirsty - it wants plasma. Somewhere drowned in plasma, will be what
    you are looking for. Try the "widgets" in the top right corner.

    There used to be a link in the menu, but KDE4 has done away with menus as
    well. Now you get a variant on Alt+F2, where you type in the command you
    want.

    Doug.
    --
    Ugliness is only skin deep.