Reported drive anaomalies - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Reported drive anaomalies - Mandriva ; I have one SATA drive and a USB flash drive mounted as /media/EEEPC. According to harddrake, The hard dive is /dev/sda and the flash drive is /dev/sdc. Yet according to df in addition to /dev/sda, I have: /dev/sdb1 950M 941M ...

  1. Reported drive anaomalies

    I have one SATA drive and a USB flash drive mounted as /media/EEEPC.

    According to harddrake, The hard dive is /dev/sda and the flash drive
    is /dev/sdc.

    Yet according to df in addition to /dev/sda, I have:

    /dev/sdb1 950M 941M 9.6M 99% /media/disk-2
    /dev/sdc1 7.6G 4.0K 7.6G 1% /media/EEEPC

    There is no mention of /dev/sdb1 in fstab.

    However, on the /media directory there is a file called .hal-mstab. This
    contains two lines:

    /dev/sdb1 500 0 vfat
    nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,flush,uid=500,noatime,utf 8,shortname=lower /media/disk-2
    /dev/sdc1 500 0 vfat
    nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,flush,uid=500,noatime,utf 8,shortname=lower /media/EEEPC

    So what does this mean? Is there a drive or a prtition called sdb1 or am I
    seeing the vestiges of entries that appear to show that it exists when it
    doesn't?

  2. Re: Reported drive anaomalies

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:05:01 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > So what does this mean? Is there a drive or a prtition called sdb1 or am I

    Both sdb and sdc were mounted by udev/haldaemon.
    What does "/sbin/udevadm info -q env -p /block/sdb" show for the drive?

    Any chance there's an old 1GB ata drive that's now using a sata kernel module?
    In versions prior to 2009.0, it would have been hda.

    If this were old info in the udev database, it would not show up in df, as
    df only works for mounted filesystems. There has to be a second disk drive
    in the system.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Reported drive anaomalies

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I have one SATA drive and a USB flash drive mounted as /media/EEEPC.
    >
    > According to harddrake, The hard dive is /dev/sda and the flash drive
    > is /dev/sdc.
    >
    > Yet according to df in addition to /dev/sda, I have:
    >
    > /dev/sdb1 950M 941M 9.6M 99% /media/disk-2
    > /dev/sdc1 7.6G 4.0K 7.6G 1% /media/EEEPC
    >
    > There is no mention of /dev/sdb1 in fstab.
    >
    > However, on the /media directory there is a file called .hal-mstab. This
    > contains two lines:
    >
    > /dev/sdb1 500 0 vfat
    > nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,flush,uid=500,noatime,utf 8,shortname=lower /media/disk-2
    > /dev/sdc1 500 0 vfat
    > nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,flush,uid=500,noatime,utf 8,shortname=lower /media/EEEPC
    >
    > So what does this mean? Is there a drive or a prtition called sdb1 or am I
    > seeing the vestiges of entries that appear to show that it exists when it
    > doesn't?

    If /dev/sdb1 is vfat and full, it looks like an M$ partition.
    In a terminal or concole window, try cd /media/disk-2 and look around
    with ls -l and see what is there.

    In addition to df, try the command mount (no arguments) and
    maybe /sbin/blkid /dev/sdb1 or maybe just /sbin/blkid /dev/sdb
    and see what it says.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: Reported drive anomalies

    Being a bit impatient, I fiddled and found the perfect tool for the job.
    Mandriva's hard disk config tool. It spotted that the flash drive had
    a single FAT32 partition with the balance of the drive unassigned. I deleted
    it and recreated it. It is now 7.5GB which may be the original ~ 8GB it was
    quoted at.

    I've save your suggestions and will test them as soon as I get some time as
    I really like to have command line solutions for those moments when you
    cannot use anything else.

    Thank you for advice.

    Regards, Alan

+ Reply to Thread