My Mandriva 2009 installation - Mandriva

This is a discussion on My Mandriva 2009 installation - Mandriva ; Greetings to All, For those who may be interested, This is how I installed my Mandriva 2009 Powerpack: Installing Mandriva 2009.0 Use the instsalation DVD and follow the prompts until you get to the "partition" bit. I always select "Expert ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Greetings to All,

    For those who may be interested, This is how I installed my Mandriva 2009
    Powerpack:

    Installing Mandriva 2009.0

    Use the instsalation DVD and follow the prompts until you get to
    the "partition" bit.

    I always select "Expert Mode", "Auto Allocate", "with /usr"

    In this case, as I was installing over my previous Mandriva 2008.1, I
    selected: "Use existing partitions".

    In my case these were:

    “/”, “/usr”, (“/var” if you are installing as a server) and “/home“.

    Format:

    Select “/” and “/usr” only (if you are using “/var” do not format “/var”)
    and follow the installation as normal.

    Once installed, open “konsole” and type:

    [$] su - (the important thing here is the “-” sign and there is a space
    after the "su")

    [$] Password: (Type your root password)

    Type:
    (the "#" will alresdy be there denoting you are in "root" so you don't have
    to type it in).
    [#] urpmi task-kde3 and press "Enter", (and follow the prompts) and (Chose
    option 1) (there are 116 files to download)

    once completed (back to [#]) do:

    [#] urpme task-kde4 (note the urpme has an “e” not an “i” at the end. Note
    this is an uninstall command).

    once completed (back to [#]) do:

    [#] urpme –auto-orphans (Note there are two "dashes" before the "auto")
    (this uninstalls all orphan files from your computer)

    Having completed the above, proceed to install:

    Guarddog, skype, streamtuner/streamripper your printer/scanner and any other
    programs you may wish to add.

    The system works beatifully and I have followed instaling all the updates
    offered, as they come along.

    I am now able to do a "Ctrl+F2" and go into the options and select "other
    user" and enter root.....

    Hope this assists

    --
    Rgds
    Edward

  2. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:36:45 +0000, egh wrote:

    > The system works beatifully

    Your description was just what I was looking for, and it appeared
    to work on my 2009.0 'One/Live' CD trial installation.

    But I ended up with an empty blue screen - apart from a minimal Main
    Panel containing (L to R):

    - Tiny icon to look at main menu (which is very sparsely populated,
    and does not allow the usual facility to place icon on desktop or in
    Main Panel).
    .. - Tiny icon that doesn't do anything
    - Icon giving access to 'Workspaces' 2,3,4
    - The word "Terminal" (gives terminal)
    - The word "Browser" (gives Firefox 3.0)
    - The acronym "MCC" (goes to MCC)
    - Boxes containing "1", "2" , "3", and "4"

    So I shall be re-installing from One CD and trying some other scheme
    to replace KDE4 with KDE3!
    --
    /\/\aurice
    Linux Mandriva 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv 2008.0 PP 32-bit

  3. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:14:45 -0400, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > But I ended up with an empty blue screen - apart from a minimal Main
    > Panel containing (L to R):
    > - Tiny icon to look at main menu (which is very sparsely populated,
    > and does not allow the usual facility to place icon on desktop or in

    That's IceWM, which is the default if no version of kde or gnome is found.
    Right click on the desktop for the menu.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:55:13 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Right click on the desktop for the menu.

    Every time I need the pukka menu, or just to acquire KDE3, David?

    (In the meantime I have re-installed 2009.0 One...)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  5. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:55:10 -0400, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Every time I need the pukka menu, or just to acquire KDE3, David?
    > (In the meantime I have re-installed 2009.0 One...)

    IceWM is a good lightweight window manager, however, if you want kde run
    "urpmi task-kde3" or "urpmi task-kde4" (or both). Then you'll want to
    run "startx" for kde4 or "startx KDE3" for kde3, or change the selection
    in the display manager.

    The menu shown in IceWM is based on the same structure as kde or gnome,
    and will remain sparse, until additional applications are installed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:28:24 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > if you want kde run
    > "urpmi task-kde3" or "urpmi task-kde4" (or both).

    I got 2009.0 'One' with KDE4 as default.

    Did urpmi task-kde3.

    > Then you'll want to run
    > "startx" for kde4 or "startx KDE3" for kde3, or change the selection in
    > the display manager.

    Having done 'urpmi task-kde3' in a root session, what are the next
    steps before I can do the 'startx kde3'?

    (Optimistically, I tried it in the same root session just after
    'urpmi task-kde3', and got:

    "Auth: Creating new authority file /root/.SERVICEAUTH.5049
    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock")
    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:28:24 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> if you want kde run
    >> "urpmi task-kde3" or "urpmi task-kde4" (or both).

    > I got 2009.0 'One' with KDE4 as default.
    >
    > Did urpmi task-kde3.
    >
    >> Then you'll want to run
    >> "startx" for kde4 or "startx KDE3" for kde3, or change the selection in
    >> the display manager.

    > Having done 'urpmi task-kde3' in a root session, what are the next
    > steps before I can do the 'startx kde3'?
    >
    > (Optimistically, I tried it in the same root session just after
    > 'urpmi task-kde3', and got:
    >
    > "Auth: Creating new authority file /root/.SERVICEAUTH.5049
    > Fatal server error:
    > Server is already active for display 0
    > If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock")

    Greetings,
    What seems to be happening is you are defaulting to IceWM.
    When you reach the point in which it asks you to enter your "User name"
    and "password" you will find a "desktop icon" at the bottom RH corner of
    the dialog. Right click on it and select KDE3. You have to do this only
    once as, the next time you log in, it will the default to the previous
    login and default to KDE3.

    Hope this assists and please let me know if this solved your problem.
    --
    Rgds
    Edward
    Registered Linux User No. 224802

  8. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:13:53 +0000, egh wrote:

    > What seems to be happening is you are defaulting to IceWM.

    Yes, apparently so!

    > When you reach the point in which it asks you to enter your "User
    > name" and "password" you will find a "desktop icon" at the bottom
    > RH corner of the dialog.

    No, all I see is "Welcome to localhost" and a single login slot.
    Then - after entering username - a 'password' slot, after which I get
    put into IceW - i.e. there is no visible option such as 'Desktop' or
    'menu'; nothing...

    > Right click on it and select KDE3.You have to do this only once as,
    > the next time you log in, it will the default to the previous
    > login and default to KDE3.

    Which it were so...

    Is there anyone here who can tell me how to start a 2009.0 'One/Live'
    (hard-drive installed) with KDE3, please?

    (I have done urpmi task-kde3, urpme task-kde4, and
    urpme --auto-orphans)

    Someone suggested using 'startx kde3', but that doesn't work - at
    least in the same root session as the above urpmx's.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  9. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:13:53 +0000, egh wrote:
    >
    >> What seems to be happening is you are defaulting to IceWM.

    > Yes, apparently so!
    >
    >> When you reach the point in which it asks you to enter your "User
    >> name" and "password" you will find a "desktop icon" at the bottom
    >> RH corner of the dialog.

    > No, all I see is "Welcome to localhost" and a single login slot.
    > Then - after entering username - a 'password' slot, after which I get
    > put into IceW - i.e. there is no visible option such as 'Desktop' or
    > 'menu'; nothing...
    >
    >> Right click on it and select KDE3.You have to do this only once as,
    >> the next time you log in, it will the default to the previous
    >> login and default to KDE3.

    > Which it were so...
    >
    > Is there anyone here who can tell me how to start a 2009.0 'One/Live'
    > (hard-drive installed) with KDE3, please?
    >
    > (I have done urpmi task-kde3, urpme task-kde4, and
    > urpme --auto-orphans)
    >
    > Someone suggested using 'startx kde3', but that doesn't work - at
    > least in the same root session as the above urpmx's.

    Running urpme --auto-orphans is a bad idea (it's broken)

    Try the following in order (until something works)

    urpmi task-kde3 (--auto-orphans may have removed essential parts of KDE3)
    urpmi kdebase-kdm (installs kdm for KDE3)
    urpmi kdm (installs kdm for KDE4, which is sometimes more reliable than the
    KDE3 version)

    Jim

  10. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 07:29:40 -0400, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > No, all I see is "Welcome to localhost" and a single login slot.
    > Then - after entering username - a 'password' slot, after which I get
    > put into IceW - i.e. there is no visible option such as 'Desktop' or
    > 'menu'; nothing...

    Which display manager are you using?

    > Someone suggested using 'startx kde3', but that doesn't work - at
    > least in the same root session as the above urpmx's.

    The "startx KDE3" is currently failing because IceWM is currently running
    on display 0 (alt+f7).

    You can run it on display 1 using "startx KDE3 -- :1". Note kde must be
    in uppercase. Switching between IceWM and KDE3 would be done with
    alt+f7 and alt+f8.

    I'd turn off the display manager either in mcc, or by editing /etc/inittab
    and changing the line with
    id:5:initdefault:
    id:3:initdefault:

    Then you would sign in at the text console, and run "startx KDE3", and let
    it default to display 0, instead of having to enter "-- :1".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  11. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:29:40 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Someone suggested using 'startx kde3', but that doesn't work - at
    > least in the same root session as the above urpmx's.

    You might try startx KDE if system comes up in run level 3.

  12. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:53:00 +0000, James Kerr wrote:

    > Running urpme --auto-orphans is a bad idea (it's broken)
    >
    > Try the following in order (until something works)
    >
    > urpmi task-kde3 (--auto-orphans may have removed essential parts of KDE3)
    > urpmi kdebase-kdm (installs kdm for KDE3) urpmi kdm (installs kdm for
    > KDE4, which is sometimes more reliable than the
    > KDE3 version)

    Many thanks, Jim (and Dave H and BT) for your helpful suggestions.

    First, I tried Jim's. The urpmi task-kde3 came back with "Already
    installed", so I pressed on with installing kdebase-kdm and kdm.

    (Then I tried Dave's, and I'll comment on the result alsewhere.)

    After re-booting, a Login window option offered choices including
    "KDE", which - as KDE4 had been removed - I assumed meant KD3, so
    selected that, and - lo and behold - I was put into KDE 3.5.10.
    Phew - what a relief to see sanity returning to the screen!
    And subsequent boots continued to use KDE3.

    Presumably reverting to the KDE4 KDM (which had been removed by the
    urpme task-kde4) allowed me to see the above 'KDE' option at Login.

    Many thanks once again. Now to see how the rest of 2009 does...

    --
    /\/\aurice

  13. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:38:45 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > Which display manager are you using?

    Preaumably the KDE4 KDM, if it wasn't removed by urpme task-kde4.

    > You can run it on display 1 using "startx KDE3 -- :1". Note kde
    > must be in uppercase. Switching between IceWM and KDE3 would be
    > done with alt+f7 and alt+f8.

    When I did that, the screen covered in an intricate mesh of
    red-tinted 'knitting'; Alt+f7 and alt+f8 had no effect, so had to
    force reboot with Ctl+Alt+SysReq+B.

    Then obtained KDE3 via re-boot Login options as in other posting.

    Many thanks for the technical suggestions; have filed for future...
    --
    /\/\aurice

  14. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:48:31 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > subsequent boots continued to use KDE3

    The only odd thing is that 3.5's Control Center is missing from
    the main menu's lists.

    (No problem - just did a 'Create link to application' for the
    'kcontrol' executable.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  15. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:48:31 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:
    >
    >> subsequent boots continued to use KDE3

    > The only odd thing is that 3.5's Control Center is missing from
    > the main menu's lists.
    >
    > (No problem - just did a 'Create link to application' for the
    > 'kcontrol' executable.)

    You will find it in:
    Menu,Tools, Desktop setting Wizard, then judt click
    on "next", "next" .....until you get to the "Finish and just under the
    text, there is a button "Launch KDE Control Center". Click on it!
    Why on earth they relegated back there is anyone's guess!

    Hope this assists
    --
    Rgds
    Edward
    Registered Linux User No. 224802

  16. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:44:47 +0000, egh wrote:

    > Menu,Tools, Desktop setting Wizard, then judt click on "next", "next"
    > .....until you get to the "Finish and just under the text, there is a
    > button "Launch KDE Control Center". Click on it!

    Oh, yes - I had found that! The trouble is that to get to that
    button one has to slog through the Wizard each time.
    Much simpler just to click on the icon I have put on the desktop!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  17. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:44:47 +0000, egh wrote:
    >
    >> Menu,Tools, Desktop setting Wizard, then judt click on "next", "next"
    >> .....until you get to the "Finish and just under the text, there is a
    >> button "Launch KDE Control Center". Click on it!

    > Oh, yes - I had found that! The trouble is that to get to that
    > button one has to slog through the Wizard each time.
    > Much simpler just to click on the icon I have put on the desktop!

    and, how did you get to put an icon on the desktop/panel?
    --
    Rgds
    Edward
    Registered Linux User No. 224802

  18. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:39:13 GMT, egh wrote:

    > and, how did you get to put an icon on the desktop/panel?

    For me, I just right click in the Desktop Folder Viewer.
    Once I am happy and testing passes, left click-drag onto desktop.

  19. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:39:13 +0000, egh wrote:

    > how did you get to put an icon on the desktop/panel?

    - R.click on desktop, select "Create New -> link to application"
    - Enter address of the 'kcontrol' executable**
    - Hit default icon and scan through list of icons to find CC's icon.

    (** Sorry, I'm not on the 2009 installation at the moment, and can't
    remember the address. Looking at the Control Center icon here on
    2008.0 it just calls 'kcontrol', but ISTR that didn't work on 2009.0.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  20. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:31:02 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > I just right click in the Desktop Folder Viewer

    But tha's using KDE4, isn't it?! 8-)
    --
    /\/\aurice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast