My Mandriva 2009 installation - Mandriva

This is a discussion on My Mandriva 2009 installation - Mandriva ; On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:17:05 +0000, I wrote: > Enter address of the 'kcontrol' executable The full address is: /opt/kde3/bin/kcontrol but just 'kcontrol' will suffice! One odd thing I notice is that - having installed gtk-qt to try to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:17:05 +0000, I wrote:

    > Enter address of the 'kcontrol' executable

    The full address is: /opt/kde3/bin/kcontrol

    but just 'kcontrol' will suffice!

    One odd thing I notice is that - having installed gtk-qt to try to
    get a colour background in Pan - in Control Center/'Appearance and
    themes' there is no "GTK Styles and Fonts" entry (as there is here on
    2008.0), which I need to access to get that colour background in Pan.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  2. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:39:13 +0000, egh wrote:
    >
    >> how did you get to put an icon on the desktop/panel?

    > - R.click on desktop, select "Create New -> link to application"
    > - Enter address of the 'kcontrol' executable**
    > - Hit default icon and scan through list of icons to find CC's icon.
    >
    > (** Sorry, I'm not on the 2009 installation at the moment, and can't
    > remember the address. Looking at the Control Center icon here on
    > 2008.0 it just calls 'kcontrol', but ISTR that didn't work on 2009.0.)

    Brilliant!

    Today I learned something new!

    You have made my day!

    Thanks
    --
    Rgds
    Edward

  3. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:12:01 +0000, egh wrote:

    > You have made my day!

    As others in here have made mine - many times...

    Newsgroups can be great!

    --
    /\/\aurice

  4. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:53:00 +0000, James Kerr wrote:

    > Running urpme --auto-orphans is a bad idea (it's broken)

    I've just had to do a re-install of 2009.0 'One', and this time I
    tried omitting the auto-orphans thing, but found that - without it
    - the menu at Login had a 'KDE4' button (even though I had
    uninstalled KDE4), rather than a 'KDE' button that does give me KDE3.

    I'm not aware that auto-orphans did any harm, though (unless it
    caused e.g. the Control Center button to be missing in the main menu).
    --
    /\/\aurice

  5. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:09:37 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I'm not aware that auto-orphans did any harm, though (unless it
    > caused e.g. the Control Center button to be missing in the main menu).

    https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...h=auto-orphans

  6. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 15:38:48 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > https://qa.mandriva.com/buglist.cgi?...h=auto-orphans

    Mmm, it does appear all is not well in that area, but I'm not aware
    (yet) of any such problem in my installation.

    As I said elsewhere in here, I had to use the 'orphans' thing so I
    could get access to KDE3 at login, having removed KDE4.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  7. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:53:00 +0000, James Kerr wrote:

    > urpmi kdebase-kdm (installs kdm for KDE3)
    > urpmi kdm (installs kdm for KDE4, which is sometimes more reliable
    > than the KDE3 version)

    Jim, I was just checking through my notes for 're-installing
    2009.0' when I came across the above suggestion (regarding using KDE3
    instead of KDE4 - removed by urpme), and realised I don't understand
    the significance of the two commands as shown.

    I'm puzzled that - after 'installing kdm for KDE3' the second
    command immediately 'installs kdm for KDE4'.
    Is it that the 1st command installs a bundle of KDE3 function
    including kdm, and that the second simply replaces the KDE3 component
    of that bundle with the KDE4 version?

    (I'm looking for clues as to why the latest update (incl. kernel) that
    messed up my 2009.0 seemed to think I was using KDE4, when I had
    removed it with urpme.)

    --
    /\/\aurice

  8. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:53:00 +0000, James Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> urpmi kdebase-kdm (installs kdm for KDE3)
    >> urpmi kdm (installs kdm for KDE4, which is sometimes more reliable
    >> than the KDE3 version)

    > Jim, I was just checking through my notes for 're-installing
    > 2009.0' when I came across the above suggestion (regarding using KDE3
    > instead of KDE4 - removed by urpme), and realised I don't understand
    > the significance of the two commands as shown.
    >
    > I'm puzzled that - after 'installing kdm for KDE3' the second
    > command immediately 'installs kdm for KDE4'.
    > Is it that the 1st command installs a bundle of KDE3 function
    > including kdm, and that the second simply replaces the KDE3 component
    > of that bundle with the KDE4 version?
    >
    > (I'm looking for clues as to why the latest update (incl. kernel) that
    > messed up my 2009.0 seemed to think I was using KDE4, when I had
    > removed it with urpme.)

    locate kdm |grep kde

    /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/common/share/apps/kdm
    /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/common/share/apps/kdm/pics
    /var/lib/mandriva/kde-profiles/common/share/apps/kdm/pics/shutdown.jpg
    /var/lib/mandriva/kde4-profiles/common/share/apps/kdm
    /var/lib/mandriva/kde4-profiles/common/share/apps/kdm/pics
    /var/lib/mandriva/kde4-profiles/common/share/apps/kdm/pics/shutdown.jpg

    Looks to me like there are two kdm programs. Where they are called
    from I do not know, but whatever calls KDE or KDE4 should know which
    to call.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:53:00 +0000, James Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> urpmi kdebase-kdm (installs kdm for KDE3)
    >> urpmi kdm (installs kdm for KDE4, which is sometimes more reliable
    >> than the KDE3 version)

    > Jim, I was just checking through my notes for 're-installing
    > 2009.0' when I came across the above suggestion (regarding using KDE3
    > instead of KDE4 - removed by urpme), and realised I don't understand
    > the significance of the two commands as shown.
    >
    > I'm puzzled that - after 'installing kdm for KDE3' the second
    > command immediately 'installs kdm for KDE4'.
    > Is it that the 1st command installs a bundle of KDE3 function
    > including kdm, and that the second simply replaces the KDE3 component
    > of that bundle with the KDE4 version?
    >
    > (I'm looking for clues as to why the latest update (incl. kernel) that
    > messed up my 2009.0 seemed to think I was using KDE4, when I had
    > removed it with urpme.)

    Those are alternatives. In theory, any one of KDM(3), KDM(4) or GDM should
    be capable of launching any available WM session (KDE3, KDE4, Gnome, IceWM
    etc). My own experience was that KDM(4) was more reliable than KDM(3) in
    identifying all that were available (i.e.all WM's that were installed).
    YMMV.

    Jim

  10. Re: My Mandriva 2009 installation

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:46:24 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:

    > Looks to me like there are two kdm programs. Where they are called
    > from I do not know, but whatever calls KDE or KDE4 should know which
    > to call.

    Which are you running, Jim: KDE3 or KDE4?

    (If KDE3, did you remove KDE4 with urpme and do urpme--auto-orphans?)

    --
    /\/\aurice

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:46:24 -0500, Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Looks to me like there are two kdm programs. Where they are called
    >> from I do not know, but whatever calls KDE or KDE4 should know which
    >> to call.

    > Which are you running, Jim: KDE3 or KDE4?
    >
    > (If KDE3, did you remove KDE4 with urpme and do urpme--auto-orphans?)

    Bothare installed. I tried KDE4 briefly but then returned to KDE3.
    I have not removed KDE4 or done anything about orphans.

    Cheers!

    jim b.