Actualizing amoutn of RAM ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Actualizing amoutn of RAM ? - Mandriva ; Hi All, I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing under Mandriva2008. Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole I still cannot see the whole 2G.. Is ...

  1. Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    Hi All,

    I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    under Mandriva2008.
    Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    I still cannot see the whole 2G..

    Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right amount of
    RAM ?

    Thanks !
    Vincent

  2. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    Vincent M wrote:

    > Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a
    > konsole I still cannot see the whole 2G..

    how much rum is shown there?

    > Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right
    > amount of RAM ?

    in a console, do

    uname -a

    does it say i586 oder i686 there?

    cheers

    Mark

  3. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    Mark, Thanks for your answer.

    >> Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a
    >> konsole I still cannot see the whole 2G..

    > how much rum is shown there?

    [vincent@localhost ~]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 905852 750760 155092 0 90160 441464
    -/+ buffers/cache: 219136 686716
    Swap: 4088500 0 4088500

    [vincent@localhost ~]$ uname -a
    Linux localhost 2.6.22.19-desktop586-2mdv #1 SMP Mon May 5 20:45:47 EDT 2008
    i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz GNU/Linux

    So it s a i686

    I tried also to add 2048 (1024 x 2) in the config file of Grub, but it didn
    t change anything.

    Best regards
    Vincent

    >> Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right
    >> amount of RAM ?

    > in a console, do
    >
    > uname -a
    >
    > does it say i586 oder i686 there?
    >

    > cheers
    >
    > Mark

  4. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:26:39 +0100, Vincent M wrote:

    > I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    > under Mandriva2008.
    > Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    > I still cannot see the whole 2G..

    Are you running Free or One? The default One kernel in 2008 only
    recognises 1GB.

  5. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:59:19 -0400, Vincent M wrote:

    > [vincent@localhost ~]$ uname -a
    > Linux localhost 2.6.22.19-desktop586-2mdv #1 SMP Mon May 5 20:45:47 EDT 2008
    > i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz GNU/Linux
    > So it s a i686

    It's a 686 cpu, but using a desktop586 kernel. You'll have to install the
    regular desktop kernel. Run the following in a terminal, as root.
    "urpmi kernel-desktop-latest kernel-desktop-devel-latest"

    Then reboot, selecting the new kernel at the lilo/grub menu. Once you've
    confirmed the new kernel works ok, you can change the default, in the
    boot manager.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    Thanks David and Mark, I did what you told me to do (install a new kernel),
    and it works fine now !

    Best regards
    Vincent

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:59:19 -0400, Vincent M wrote:
    >
    >> [vincent@localhost ~]$ uname -a
    >> Linux localhost 2.6.22.19-desktop586-2mdv #1 SMP Mon May 5 20:45:47 EDT
    >> 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz GNU/Linux
    >> So it s a i686

    > It's a 686 cpu, but using a desktop586 kernel. You'll have to install the
    > regular desktop kernel. Run the following in a terminal, as root.
    > "urpmi kernel-desktop-latest kernel-desktop-devel-latest"
    >
    > Then reboot, selecting the new kernel at the lilo/grub menu. Once you've
    > confirmed the new kernel works ok, you can change the default, in the
    > boot manager.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    Vincent M writes:

    >Hi All,

    >I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    >under Mandriva2008.
    >Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    >I still cannot see the whole 2G..

    If you were to perhaps tell us what "free" actaully reports, perhaps you
    might get some help.

  8. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    "Vincent M" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    > under Mandriva2008.
    > Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    > I still cannot see the whole 2G..
    >
    > Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right amount
    > of
    > RAM ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Vincent

    Off topic:
    But I have ubuntu running on an older machine laying around with 512mb.
    I am not about to get a 2gb machine to run Linux.

  9. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    On Thursday 30 October 2008 18:32, someone identifying as *Pete* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > "Vincent M" wrote in message
    >
    >> I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    >> under Mandriva2008.
    >> Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    >> I still cannot see the whole 2G..
    >>
    >> Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right amount
    >> of RAM ?
    >>

    > Off topic:
    > But I have ubuntu running on an older machine laying around with 512mb.
    > I am not about to get a 2gb machine to run Linux.

    Memory modules for commodity hardware are quite affordable these days.
    Besides, there are plenty of people who have gotten themselves machines
    with 2 GB of RAM just to be able to run Vista - slowly.

    Oh, but wait a minute...

    Oh, yeah, right...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    On 2008-10-30, Aragorn wrote:
    > On Thursday 30 October 2008 18:32, someone identifying as *Pete* wrote
    > in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> "Vincent M" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    >>> under Mandriva2008.
    >>> Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    >>> I still cannot see the whole 2G..
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right amount
    >>> of RAM ?
    >>>

    >> Off topic:
    >> But I have ubuntu running on an older machine laying around with 512mb.
    >> I am not about to get a 2gb machine to run Linux.

    > Memory modules for commodity hardware are quite affordable these days.
    > Besides, there are plenty of people who have gotten themselves machines
    > with 2 GB of RAM just to be able to run Vista - slowly.
    >
    > Oh, but wait a minute...

    > Oh, yeah, right...

    Two of my home systems running Mandriva 2008.0 have 512MB
    RAM each. The other has 1GB RAM. The smaller amount is
    more than adequate, even for running Gnome and other bloated
    GUI stuff. There's no need for 2GB RAM on an ordinary
    desktop (or laptop) Linux system, though more RAM is useful
    as disk cache.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  11. Re: Actualizing amoutn of RAM ?

    Vincent M wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I just purchased and installed 2 Gb of RAM for my toshiba laptop runing
    > under Mandriva2008.
    > Under Windows, the RAM was detected, but when I type "free" in a konsole
    > I still cannot see the whole 2G..
    >
    > Is there anything I should do so that my Mandriva detect the right amount
    > of RAM ?
    >
    > Thanks !
    > Vincent

    Can we see 'free' ouput?