Just out of Interest (Flash Drive) - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Just out of Interest (Flash Drive) - Mandriva ; The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card. What computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be everywhere. ...

  1. Just out of Interest (Flash Drive)

    The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But
    the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card. What
    computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be everywhere.

    Doug.
    --
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.
    - William James.

  2. Re: Just out of Interest (Flash Drive)

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But
    > the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card. What
    > computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be everywhere.

    ==================

    USB Multicard readers/writers are small and cheap.

    Frank

  3. Re: Just out of Interest (Flash Drive)

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But
    > the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card. What
    > computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be
    > everywhere.
    >
    > Doug.

    Which photo of 2009? All I can see is the mandriva.com page image, which is
    exactly as was sent to me 2008 Spring page, but the one at
    store.mandriva.com is also 2008 Spring
    (http://store.mandriva.com/images/3D-...E-blue-8GO.png). I assumed
    the 2009 version wasn't yet available.

    Chris

  4. Re: Just out of Interest (Flash Drive)

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But
    > the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card. What
    > computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be
    > everywhere.
    >
    > Doug.

    There has been a recent exchange of messages on the EEE PC User Forum
    devoted to Mandriva concerning the subject of bootable USB drives holding
    2009.0. Apparently there was a management decision not to have one for
    commercial reasons. However there was a hint that they may have changed
    their minds under public pressure.

  5. Re: Just out of Interest (Flash Drive)

    rousseau wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But
    >> the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card.
    >> What
    >> computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be
    >> everywhere.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > Which photo of 2009? All I can see is the mandriva.com page image, which
    > is exactly as was sent to me 2008 Spring page, but the one at
    > store.mandriva.com is also 2008 Spring
    > (http://store.mandriva.com/images/3D-...E-blue-8GO.png). I assumed
    > the 2009 version wasn't yet available.
    >
    > Chris

    The one on the installer screen, which is now repeated on the Web site for
    2008.1, just to confuse things
    (http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/m...sh-2008-spring.) The one
    on the 2009 installer is nothing like the one on the 2008.1 installer
    graphics.

    Doug
    --
    Be wisely worldly, be not worldly wise.
    - Francis Quarles.

  6. Re: Just out of Interest (Flash Drive)

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> The photo of Mandriva 2008.1 on a Flash Drive is definitely for USB. But
    >> the photo on 2009 looks more like a SmartCard or cellphone sim card.
    >> What
    >> computers have sockets for those? I doubt whether they will be
    >> everywhere.
    >>
    >> Doug.

    > There has been a recent exchange of messages on the EEE PC User Forum
    > devoted to Mandriva concerning the subject of bootable USB drives holding
    > 2009.0. Apparently there was a management decision not to have one for
    > commercial reasons. However there was a hint that they may have changed
    > their minds under public pressure.

    And the first 2 GB Flash drive was sold out within two weeks!! Sounds like
    another case of the reason why they sacked Gaƫl Duval - he believed in
    market research.

    Doug.
    --
    Whenever there's a will, you'll see an heir loom.
    -- Genealogy site.

+ Reply to Thread