Checking CD with BitTorrent - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Checking CD with BitTorrent - Mandriva ; (I think that I already know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to ask.) The Mandriva Wiki explains that a damaged CD ISO can be fixed by running BitTorrent on it (if available, of course.) I have a ...

  1. Checking CD with BitTorrent

    (I think that I already know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to
    ask.)

    The Mandriva Wiki explains that a damaged CD ISO can be fixed by running
    BitTorrent on it (if available, of course.)

    I have a scratched CD. I can't get an ISO from it with the rawread script
    from Coasterless CDs, and large chunks of files won't copy from it. I have
    tried running BitTorrent on what I could salvage, using Transmission,
    but it doesn't work. I assume that as well, there must be info about where
    they go.

    As I was typing, I recalled that BitTorrent can work two ways. Either it
    creates a full-sized blank file first, as in my case, or it creates a file
    only as large as the data retrieved. Am I likely to have more luck doing
    it the second way?

    Doug.
    --
    Husbands are like the fire on the hearth - likely to go out if left
    unattended.

  2. Re: Checking CD with BitTorrent

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > (I think that I already know the answer to this, but it doesn't hurt to
    > ask.)
    >
    > The Mandriva Wiki explains that a damaged CD ISO can be fixed by running
    > BitTorrent on it (if available, of course.)
    >
    > I have a scratched CD. I can't get an ISO from it with the rawread script
    > from Coasterless CDs, and large chunks of files won't copy from it. I have
    > tried running BitTorrent on what I could salvage, using Transmission,
    > but it doesn't work. I assume that as well, there must be info about where
    > they go.
    >
    > As I was typing, I recalled that BitTorrent can work two ways. Either it
    > creates a full-sized blank file first, as in my case, or it creates a file
    > only as large as the data retrieved. Am I likely to have more luck doing
    > it the second way?
    >
    > Doug.

    I don't believe so.

    I am fairly certain that is unlikely that the iso you have created will
    be similar enough to the iso in the torrent download to permit
    interchangeability between the two.

+ Reply to Thread