KDE 4.1 on 2009.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on KDE 4.1 on 2009.0 - Mandriva ; I now have a machine with everything on it working as I want it to, albeit my wife's. When I handed it over to her, she was over the moon with it but within seconds there was a 'I don't ...

  1. KDE 4.1 on 2009.0

    I now have a machine with everything on it working as I want it to, albeit
    my wife's. When I handed it over to her, she was over the moon with it but
    within seconds there was a 'I don't know what I I did but the icons have
    gone'. She was referring to the desktop icons I had created on the visible
    desktop folder.

    I couldn't get them back and in the process made things worse. A horizontal
    white band appeared occupying most of the screen with just the kicker and a
    similarly sized band at the top. In the end I had to delete her a a use and
    recreate her as a new user.

    While I was recreating the desktop icons I remembered what a chore it is to
    rename each one so a to remove the suffix .desktop from each name. What
    thinking led to it being there in the first place!

    Anyway, might there be a way of locking the folder/icons in place to prevent
    accidental deletion?

  2. Re: KDE 4.1 on 2009.0

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:19:52 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Anyway, might there be a way of locking the folder/icons in place to prevent
    > accidental deletion?

    Change owner or directory permissions. 8-)

    Guessing you have not made backups yet. :-(

  3. Re: KDE 4.1 on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Anyway, might there be a way of locking the folder/icons in place to
    > prevent accidental deletion?

    To prevent deletion of the folder view (if that's what you mean) right-click on the desktop (outside of the folder view) and select "lock widgets"

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread