vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor - Mandriva

This is a discussion on vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor - Mandriva ; I am suddenly having trouble with vi on 2008.1 (recently installed). a) Under my username I get no colour, while under root, I do. b) Under my username, the black rectangle which acts as the cursor bahaves bacly when it ...

  1. vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    I am suddenly having trouble with vi on 2008.1 (recently installed).
    a) Under my username I get no colour, while under root, I do.
    b) Under my username, the black rectangle which acts as the cursor bahaves
    bacly when it is for example pairing a bracket. If I advance the cursor
    onto a bracket, all I get is the "cursor" ( black rectangle) on paired bracket, and
    the actual cursor position has nothing (except that opening bracket) on it.
    For example, if in that last sentence I place the cursor on that opening
    parenthesis just before "except", the cursor (black rectangle) jumps to the
    closing parenthesis just after "bracket". Of course the cursor really is
    still on that opening parenthesis, as I find if I type anything or advance
    it one more step when it is not on the e of "except".
    As far as I can see the .vimrc files for root and for me are identical, but
    under root I get colour ( brackets, C exxpressions, etc) but as user
    nothing.

    Where should I be looking for a solution?

  2. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:36:33 -0400, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > I am suddenly having trouble with vi on 2008.1 (recently installed).
    > a) Under my username I get no colour, while under root, I do.

    Running vi under strace (as a regular user), I find it's looking for the
    following files ...
    /home/dave/.exrc
    /home/dave/.vim/after/ftdetect/
    /home/dave/.vim/after/plugin/
    /home/dave/.vim/ftdetect/
    /home/dave/.viminfo
    /home/dave/.vim/plugin/
    /home/dave/_vimrc
    /home/dave/.vimrc

    I'd start by deleting any of the above files, if present.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:36:33 -0400, Bill Unruh wrote:

    >> I am suddenly having trouble with vi on 2008.1 (recently installed).
    >> a) Under my username I get no colour, while under root, I do.

    >Running vi under strace (as a regular user), I find it's looking for the
    >following files ...
    >/home/dave/.exrc
    >/home/dave/.vim/after/ftdetect/
    >/home/dave/.vim/after/plugin/
    >/home/dave/.vim/ftdetect/
    >/home/dave/.viminfo
    >/home/dave/.vim/plugin/
    >/home/dave/_vimrc
    >/home/dave/.vimrc

    >I'd start by deleting any of the above files, if present.

    I have no .vim. My .vimrc file I have deleted, my .exrc file I have
    deleted.
    ..viminfo I have moved away, and still no colours and back cursor.

    Thanks for the feedback but still no luck.

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  4. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:27:59 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > Thanks for the feedback but still no luck.

    Which shell and locale are you using? I'm using /bin/bash, with the locale
    set to en_CA.UTF-8.

    See if running "/usr/bin/vim-enhanced $somefile" shows colours. If it does,
    then look at the symlinks in path directories available to the user, that are
    not available to root.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:27:59 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    >> Thanks for the feedback but still no luck.

    >Which shell and locale are you using? I'm using /bin/bash, with the locale
    >set to en_CA.UTF-8.

    Same here.

    >See if running "/usr/bin/vim-enhanced $somefile" shows colours. If it does,
    >then look at the symlinks in path directories available to the user, that are
    >not available to root.

    Nope, I have tried running vim-enhanced directly and get the same problem. I have now also logged on to root and then to
    another user, and tried vim there and it is full colour. It seems to be
    only MY account that refuses to show color.

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:31:58 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > another user, and tried vim there and it is full colour. It seems to be
    > only MY account that refuses to show color.

    Probably a bash/terminal setting then. How about ...
    $ echo $TERM
    xterm

    Also try "cp /etc/skel/.screenrc ~/", logging out, then in.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  7. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:31:58 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    >> another user, and tried vim there and it is full colour. It seems to be
    >> only MY account that refuses to show color.

    >Probably a bash/terminal setting then. How about ...
    >$ echo $TERM
    >xterm

    info[unruh]>echo $TERM
    xterm

    >Also try "cp /etc/skel/.screenrc ~/", logging out, then in.

    That did nothing to help ( and none of root or the other test user for whom
    it vim color works have a .screenrc.)

    >Regards, Dave Hodgins

    >--
    >Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    >(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    >use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  8. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:31:58 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    >> another user, and tried vim there and it is full colour. It seems to be
    >> only MY account that refuses to show color.

    >Probably a bash/terminal setting then. How about ...
    >$ echo $TERM
    >xterm

    >Also try "cp /etc/skel/.screenrc ~/", logging out, then in.

    Finally found it. I created a new user test, and copied over . files and
    directories from my own home directory to test's home directory
    until vi under the user test
    again gave no colours. It turns out that I have a
    ..terminfo directory under my home directory dating back from 1998
    (probably on a SunOS machine I had then) with an xterm entry. vi was
    reading that and I guess it had no colour information.

    When I removed it, lo and behold I had colours in my vi files.

    Sheesh. Thanks for the help which pushed me to try really hard to find the
    problem

    Thanks.

    By the way, is there some way I can get a blinking cursor, instead of a
    solid black blob?

  9. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    > By the way, is there some way I can get a blinking cursor, instead of a
    > solid black blob?

    man terminfo |grep blinking
    for a clue or two.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  10. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    On Oct 23, 10:53*pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > > By the way, is there some way I can get a blinking cursor, instead of a
    > > solid black blob?

    > man terminfo |grep blinking
    > for a clue or two.

    That won't offer much help, without knowing a little more: whether a
    cursor can be made to blink depends on the terminal - and how it's
    configured. Several terminal descriptions use "cvvis" (very-visible)
    capability to set the blinking state of the cursor.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  11. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    dickey wrote:
    > On Oct 23, 10:53 pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    >>> By the way, is there some way I can get a blinking cursor, instead of a
    >>> solid black blob?

    >> man terminfo |grep blinking
    >> for a clue or two.

    > That won't offer much help, without knowing a little more: whether a
    > cursor can be made to blink depends on the terminal - and how it's
    > configured. Several terminal descriptions use "cvvis" (very-visible)
    > capability to set the blinking state of the cursor.

    It seems to me the terminal was mentioned:
    info[unruh]>echo $TERM
    xterm

    So the next step would be man xterm, or maybe xterm -help
    to try to find out more about the terminal's capabilities,
    and somewhere among the options there might be -bc
    and sure enough xterm -bc starts up a window with a blinking
    cursor. Next, one has to find the place to put this option...

    And my apologies for not going directly to the proper
    instructions, but I have not dealt seriously with termcap
    or terminfo capabilities since the days when I had Sys V Rel 4
    Ver 2.5 running on an AT&T 6300 PLUS personal computer. That
    did require some rather low-level commands, and I could not
    tell you how to do such things under Linux today.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  12. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    On Oct 24, 7:54*pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    > dickey wrote:
    > >> man terminfo |grep blinking
    > >> for a clue or two.

    > > That won't offer much help, without knowing a little more: whether a
    > > cursor can be made to blink depends on the terminal - and how it's
    > > configured. *Several terminal descriptions use "cvvis" (very-visible)
    > > capability to set the blinking state of the cursor.

    > It seems to me the terminal was mentioned:
    > info[unruh]>echo $TERM
    > xterm

    that was the $TERM value (some programs set it to "xterm" without
    making their behavior match the terminal description ;-).

    > So the next step would be man xterm, or maybe xterm -help
    > to try to find out more about the terminal's capabilities,
    > and somewhere among the options there might be -bc
    > and sure enough xterm -bc starts up a window with a blinking
    > cursor. *Next, one has to find the place to put this option...

    yes - command-line and resource settings (it's not always clear
    in the manpage, but most of the command-line options correspond
    to resource settings).

    > And my apologies for not going directly to the proper
    > instructions, but I have not dealt seriously with termcap
    > or terminfo capabilities since the days when I had Sys V Rel 4
    > Ver 2.5 running on an AT&T 6300 PLUS personal computer. *That
    > did require some rather low-level commands, and I could not
    > tell you how to do such things under Linux today.

    I used to find it hard...

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  13. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    dickey writes:

    >On Oct 24, 7:54=A0pm, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> dickey wrote:

    >> > That won't offer much help, without knowing a little more: whether a
    >> > cursor can be made to blink depends on the terminal - and how it's
    >> > configured. =A0Several terminal descriptions use "cvvis" (very-visible)
    >> > capability to set the blinking state of the cursor.

    >> It seems to me the terminal was mentioned:
    >> info[unruh]>echo $TERM
    >> xterm

    >that was the $TERM value (some programs set it to "xterm" without
    >making their behavior match the terminal description ;-).

    >> So the next step would be man xterm, or maybe xterm -help
    >> to try to find out more about the terminal's capabilities,
    >> and somewhere among the options there might be -bc
    >> and sure enough xterm -bc starts up a window with a blinking
    >> cursor. =A0Next, one has to find the place to put this option...

    >yes - command-line and resource settings (it's not always clear
    >in the manpage, but most of the command-line options correspond
    >to resource settings).

    gnome-terminal seems to read the xterm /etc/termcap option. Konsole does
    not seems to do so. (Ie, I get blinking cursor for gnome-terminal and not
    with Konsole)

    >> And my apologies for not going directly to the proper
    >> instructions, but I have not dealt seriously with termcap
    >> or terminfo capabilities since the days when I had Sys V Rel 4
    >> Ver 2.5 running on an AT&T 6300 PLUS personal computer. =A0That
    >> did require some rather low-level commands, and I could not
    >> tell you how to do such things under Linux today.

    >I used to find it hard...

    >--
    >Thomas E. Dickey
    >http://invisible-island.net
    >ftp://invisible-island.net

  14. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:53:06 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    > gnome-terminal seems to read the xterm /etc/termcap option. Konsole does
    > not seems to do so. (Ie, I get blinking cursor for gnome-terminal and not
    > with Konsole)

    For konsole in kde 3.5, select settings, Configure konsole, and the option
    to have a blinking cursor is in the General page.

    For konsole in kde 4, select settings, Edit current profile, and look on
    the advanced tab.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  15. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    "David W. Hodgins" writes:

    >On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:53:06 -0400, Unruh wrote:

    >> gnome-terminal seems to read the xterm /etc/termcap option. Konsole does
    >> not seems to do so. (Ie, I get blinking cursor for gnome-terminal and not
    >> with Konsole)

    >For konsole in kde 3.5, select settings, Configure konsole, and the option
    >to have a blinking cursor is in the General page.

    Thanks-- I looked at that page three times and never saw it.
    Ah well.

    >For konsole in kde 4, select settings, Edit current profile, and look on
    >the advanced tab.

  16. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > By the way, is there some way I can get a blinking cursor, instead
    > of a solid black blob?

    Have you tried the terminal emulator Eterm? I like Eterm because it
    has white text and dark backgrounds, and the backgrounds are cool.
    The default cursor for Eterm is a solid yellow rectangle/blob.

    One potential problem with Eterm may be a long load time until the
    terminal emulator window is ready for action. On this P3 500 2008.1
    KDE box, each Eterm terminal emulator window takes at least thirty
    seconds and maybe as much as ninety seconds before it is ready for
    use. I have not timed how long it takes. I have noticed this
    behavior for the last two years or so. Versions of Mandrake/Mandriva
    older than two years were as quick at starting Eterm windows as any
    other terminal emulator window. I googled to try to find a solution
    to the delay, but I was unsuccessful. I decided that the delay while
    starting up an Eterm terminal emulator window is a minor irritation
    compared to having white text on nice dark backgrounds.

  17. Re: vim on 2008.1 and lack of cursor

    Scott B. wrote:
    > I decided that the delay while starting up an Eterm terminal
    > emulator window is a minor irritation compared to having white text
    > on nice dark backgrounds.

    I should have mentioned that once the Eterm window is available,
    there is no delay.

+ Reply to Thread