Suggestion - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Suggestion - Mandriva ; For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of downloading "One" iso images for GNOME. It would also be nice to be able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One....

  1. Suggestion

    For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of
    downloading "One" iso images for GNOME. It would also be nice to be
    able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One.

  2. Re: Suggestion

    on Wednesday 22 October 2008 07:54
    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of
    > downloading "One" iso images for GNOME.

    They already exist; there is the Gnome Afro Asia, Gnome extra i18n,
    Gnome int, and Gnome Jp Zh.

    > It would also be nice to be
    > able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One.

    The emphasis for ONE is that you put it in the drive and it should
    work, rather that have it optimised for the hardware.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: Suggestion

    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of
    > downloading "One" iso images for GNOME. It would also be nice to be
    > able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One.

    There are Mandriva One Live Gnome and KDE each on CD, it comes with
    proprietary video drivers, Sun Java, Adobe flash, already installed. Its
    what I always use to get started, you know if your hardware will work
    before installing.
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  4. Re: Suggestion

    Peter D. wrote:
    > on Wednesday 22 October 2008 07:54
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >
    >> For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of
    >> downloading "One" iso images for GNOME.

    > They already exist; there is the Gnome Afro Asia, Gnome extra i18n,
    > Gnome int, and Gnome Jp Zh.

    Only if one knows to look at the site rather than just click on the link.

    >> It would also be nice to be
    >> able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One.

    > The emphasis for ONE is that you put it in the drive and it should
    > work, rather that have it optimised for the hardware.

    With the myriad of 64-bit systems, it would be. The way that One works
    for 2009.0, its hardly a drop-in-the-drive-and-go situation.

  5. Re: Suggestion

    Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >
    >> For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of
    >> downloading "One" iso images for GNOME. It would also be nice to be
    >> able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One.

    > There are Mandriva One Live Gnome and KDE each on CD, it comes with
    > proprietary video drivers, Sun Java, Adobe flash, already installed. Its
    > what I always use to get started, you know if your hardware will work
    > before installing.

    That's why a 64-bit version would be desirable.

    The only way to get One GNOME is to know to go to the directory. Just
    clocking on the download link will not get GNOME.

  6. Re: Suggestion

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:09:12 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    >> The emphasis for ONE is that you put it in the drive and it should
    >> work, rather that have it optimised for the hardware.

    > With the myriad of 64-bit systems, it would be. The way that One works
    > for 2009.0, its hardly a drop-in-the-drive-and-go situation.

    Drop in and go was exactly my experience of it.

    If you feel so strongly about Mandriva release policy you would have more
    effect contributing suggestions and bug reports on the forum and
    bugzilla, rather than simply complaining to fellow users.

    Unless Mandriva charged you significantly for their product, there is no
    actual basis for complaint or insults.

  7. Re: Suggestion

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 22:09:12 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >
    >>> The emphasis for ONE is that you put it in the drive and it should
    >>> work, rather that have it optimised for the hardware.

    >> With the myriad of 64-bit systems, it would be. The way that One works
    >> for 2009.0, its hardly a drop-in-the-drive-and-go situation.

    > Drop in and go was exactly my experience of it.
    >
    > If you feel so strongly about Mandriva release policy you would have more
    > effect contributing suggestions and bug reports on the forum and
    > bugzilla, rather than simply complaining to fellow users.

    I did. At the Mandriva Forums. And I have been both reporting possible
    problems and contributing to fixes.

    > Unless Mandriva charged you significantly for their product, there is no
    > actual basis for complaint or insults.

    Complaints? Insults? Hardly. Just a suggestion and honest feedback
    about how 2009.0 One worked in my systems. And the problem I
    experienced was widespread enough to post a fix.

    And such a strongly defensive attitude will not gain new users, only
    chase them away.

  8. Re: Suggestion

    Peaceful Bill wrote:
    > Patrick Phillips wrote:
    >> Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> For current and future releases, it might be nice to have the option of
    >>> downloading "One" iso images for GNOME. It would also be nice to be
    >>> able to select the 64-bit versions of both KDE and GNOME for One.

    >> There are Mandriva One Live Gnome and KDE each on CD, it comes with
    >> proprietary video drivers, Sun Java, Adobe flash, already installed. Its
    >> what I always use to get started, you know if your hardware will work
    >> before installing.

    > That's why a 64-bit version would be desirable.
    >
    > The only way to get One GNOME is to know to go to the directory. Just
    > clocking on the download link will not get GNOME.

    Same thing is true of the multiple-CD versions of 2009.0 Free.

    TJ

  9. Re: Suggestion

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:14:00 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> With the myriad of 64-bit systems, it would be. The way that One
    >>> works for 2009.0, its hardly a drop-in-the-drive-and-go situation.

    >> Drop in and go was exactly my experience of it.

    I notice you ignored that bit.

    >> If you feel so strongly about Mandriva release policy you would have
    >> more effect contributing suggestions and bug reports on the forum and
    >> bugzilla, rather than simply complaining to fellow users.

    > I did. At the Mandriva Forums. And I have been both reporting possible
    > problems and contributing to fixes.

    Good. Because the Mandriva devs don't appear here (AFAICT).

    >> Unless Mandriva charged you significantly for their product, there is
    >> no actual basis for complaint or insults.

    > Complaints? Insults? Hardly. Just a suggestion and honest feedback
    > about how 2009.0 One worked in my systems. And the problem I
    > experienced was widespread enough to post a fix.

    I apologise because reading back in the thread, you haven't abused
    anyone. I made the mistake of taking the abuse as read, since normally
    these reports are decorated with remarks about "idiots at Mandriva" and
    "forcing us to". I think I've been reading aolm too long.

    > And such a strongly defensive attitude will not gain new users, only
    > chase them away.

    Defensive? Hardly. I am nothing at all to do with Mandriva. New
    users? I have no users, old or new, to consider.

  10. Re: Suggestion

    TJ wrote:
    > Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >> Patrick Phillips wrote:

    >>> There are Mandriva One Live Gnome and KDE each on CD, it comes with
    >>> proprietary video drivers, Sun Java, Adobe flash, already installed. Its
    >>> what I always use to get started, you know if your hardware will work
    >>> before installing.

    >> That's why a 64-bit version would be desirable.
    >>
    >> The only way to get One GNOME is to know to go to the directory. Just
    >> clocking on the download link will not get GNOME.

    > Same thing is true of the multiple-CD versions of 2009.0 Free.
    >
    > TJ

    Agreed.

  11. Re: Suggestion - Accepted!!

    TJ wrote:
    > Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >> Patrick Phillips wrote:

    >>> There are Mandriva One Live Gnome and KDE each on CD, it comes with
    >>> proprietary video drivers, Sun Java, Adobe flash, already installed. Its
    >>> what I always use to get started, you know if your hardware will work
    >>> before installing.

    >> That's why a 64-bit version would be desirable.
    >>
    >> The only way to get One GNOME is to know to go to the directory. Just
    >> clocking on the download link will not get GNOME.

    > Same thing is true of the multiple-CD versions of 2009.0 Free.
    >
    > TJ

    Thanks for adding a Gnome option for One!!

+ Reply to Thread