Downloading Mandriva - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Downloading Mandriva - Mandriva ; I'm a bit confused. In another thread, I was admonished for trying to download the 2009.0 Free dvd iso from one of the mirrors, when I should have used the torrent to ease the load on the servers. OK, I ...

  1. Downloading Mandriva

    I'm a bit confused. In another thread, I was admonished for trying to
    download the 2009.0 Free dvd iso from one of the mirrors, when I should
    have used the torrent to ease the load on the servers. OK, I accept
    that. It could be that way the first few weeks that the release is
    available. The part that confuses me is this:

    If Mandriva prefers that we use the torrent for the download, why do
    they put it at a secondary position on the download page and label it as
    an "alternative" method? "Alternative," to me, means "Use this if the
    preferred method doesn't work." Why not say what they actually mean?

    TJ

  2. Re: Downloading Mandriva

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:59:33 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I'm a bit confused. In another thread, I was admonished for trying to
    > download the 2009.0 Free dvd iso from one of the mirrors, when I should
    > have used the torrent to ease the load on the servers. OK, I accept

    I don't accept that. Use whatever is more appropriate for you. If you
    have the bandiwidth, no traffic shaping by your isp (or their upstream),
    and it fits within your traffic limits (if any), then by all means use
    torrent, as it is easier on the server.

    If ftp is more appropriate for you, then use ftp, as I do.

    My isp's upstream (Bell Canada) currently is forcing traffic shaping on
    torrent transfers, making them very slow. There's a decision expected from
    the crtc on this issue, in the next month or so.

    My account has a 10GB/month transfer limit, with a $3/GB charge for each GB
    over that. Using torrent will have an unknown amount of traffic. With the
    dvd download, and then package installations from mirrors, I'm currently at
    8.5GB, with 10 days to go.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Downloading Mandriva

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:59:33 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I'm a bit confused. In another thread, I was admonished for trying to
    > download the 2009.0 Free dvd iso from one of the mirrors, when I should
    > have used the torrent to ease the load on the servers. OK, I accept
    > that. It could be that way the first few weeks that the release is
    > available. The part that confuses me is this:
    >
    > If Mandriva prefers that we use the torrent for the download, why do
    > they put it at a secondary position on the download page and label it as
    > an "alternative" method? "Alternative," to me, means "Use this if the
    > preferred method doesn't work." Why not say what they actually mean?

    Use common sense..
    Most times if its just a CD [rather than DVD] I can be done d/l in
    around 30mins with speed maxed-out.
    And even for DVD if FTP/HTTP maxes-out my d/l speed then I stick with
    it, if not and its slow I configure for and use torrents.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude:40.48*

  4. Re: Downloading Mandriva

    TJ wrote:
    > I'm a bit confused. In another thread, I was admonished for trying to
    > download the 2009.0 Free dvd iso from one of the mirrors, when I should
    > have used the torrent to ease the load on the servers. OK, I accept
    > that. It could be that way the first few weeks that the release is
    > available. The part that confuses me is this:
    >
    > If Mandriva prefers that we use the torrent for the download, why do
    > they put it at a secondary position on the download page and label it as
    > an "alternative" method? "Alternative," to me, means "Use this if the
    > preferred method doesn't work." Why not say what they actually mean?
    >
    > TJ

    personaly I prefer ftp, but use an ftp client like filezilla firefox
    stoped after 2 gb right in the midle of a download, filezilla doesn't

    ftp download speed seems to be more stablee compaired to bittorrent that
    is up and down like a yoyo, and for me at least the ftp is faster

+ Reply to Thread