Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin - Mandriva ; I'm trying to install java so that it will play nicely with Firefox. Downloaded it OK, got it installed per the instructions on the java download web page. But the directly structure for Firefox 3.0.3 doesn't seem to match-up with ...

  1. Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    I'm trying to install java so that it will play nicely with Firefox.
    Downloaded it OK, got it installed per the instructions on the java
    download web page. But the directly structure for Firefox 3.0.3 doesn't
    seem to match-up with the instructions and I can't find how to direct
    Firefox to use java.

    Any help with this install would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA,

    Bill

  2. Re: Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:22:29 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > I'm trying to install java so that it will play nicely with Firefox.
    > Downloaded it OK, got it installed per the instructions on the java
    > download web page. But the directly structure for Firefox 3.0.3 doesn't
    > seem to match-up with the instructions

    So, what exactly "doesn't seem to match-up"

    > and I can't find how to direct Firefox to use java.

    After install, there should be a link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    That is where firefox first looks for system wide plugins.

    > Any help with this install would be greatly appreciated.

    We need to see where java plugin is located. Do the following and post
    results of locate command.

    click up a terminal,
    su - root
    /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

  3. Re: Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:22:29 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > I'm trying to install java so that it will play nicely with Firefox.
    > Downloaded it OK, got it installed per the instructions on the java
    > download web page. But the directly structure for Firefox 3.0.3 doesn't
    > seem to match-up with the instructions and I can't find how to direct
    > Firefox to use java.
    >
    > Any help with this install would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Bill

    You could install Sun Java 1.5 or 1.6 by way of Add/Remove Programs
    because the Mandriva repositories have it with no manual fidling
    around it just works. There are about 4 files but the installer should
    auto-checkmark them as needed.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude:40.48*

  4. Re: Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:22:29 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to install java so that it will play nicely with Firefox.
    >> Downloaded it OK, got it installed per the instructions on the java
    >> download web page. But the directly structure for Firefox 3.0.3 doesn't
    >> seem to match-up with the instructions and I can't find how to direct
    >> Firefox to use java.
    >>
    >> Any help with this install would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Bill

    > You could install Sun Java 1.5 or 1.6 by way of Add/Remove Programs
    > because the Mandriva repositories have it with no manual fidling
    > around it just works. There are about 4 files but the installer should
    > auto-checkmark them as needed.

    Thanks for the tip. It installed and is working.

    I seem to be making this more difficult than I need to. I'm still
    learning that this is not as technically demanding as some of the
    current Windows operations nor as demanding as Linux was a few years ago.

    Bill

  5. Re: Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:03:56 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip. It installed and is working.

    Downside is you have to wait for a security fix to show up
    in a repository.

  6. Re: Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:03:56 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    >> Thanks for the tip. It installed and is working.

    > Downside is you have to wait for a security fix to show up
    > in a repository.

    Heluva lot better than waiting for Microsoft to get around to packaging
    their updates.

  7. Re: Installing java as a Firefox 3.X plugin

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:13:07 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >> Downside is you have to wait for a security fix to show up
    >> in a repository.
    >>

    > Heluva lot better than waiting for Microsoft to get around to packaging
    > their updates.

    No argument there. Downside is Black Hats are out hunting un-patched
    systems around 48 hours after a fix has been released.

+ Reply to Thread