Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem - Mandriva ; I'll be contacting Conexant, but in the meantime any hints would be appreciated... I'll check back tomorrow, 'cause it's after 11pm here now and my brain is running on empty. The Conexant/Linuxant hfs driver I bought for Mandriva 2007 worked ...

  1. Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem

    I'll be contacting Conexant, but in the meantime any hints would be
    appreciated... I'll check back tomorrow, 'cause it's after 11pm here now
    and my brain is running on empty.

    The Conexant/Linuxant hfs driver I bought for Mandriva 2007 worked for
    Mandriva 2008.0 in this Compaq Presario M2000 laptop, and after
    installing 2009.0 "One" I find that a more recent version of that driver
    is already installed.
    This one uses the command "hfsconfig" instead of "hfconfig", though..
    Unfortunately, when I run "/usr/sbin/hfsconfig --info" I'm told a kernel
    wasn't installed. It suggests I run hfsconfig, and when I do I get the
    same error message. No kernel.

    I've installed the Mandriva linux source kernel with associated devel
    files, or tried to, since none of the available kernels listed seemed to
    match the name: "2.6.27-desktop586-0.rc8.2mnb #1 SMP". The kernel I got
    had all of the same info but lacked the word "desktop".

    Any idea as to what kernel I'm missing? I'm a little out of my "user"
    depth here...

    That, and the MCC modem setup says I've got an Intel "82801DB/DBL/DBM"
    modem now... I'll leave that mystery for another day.

    I may just dig out my old PCMCIA modem and see if I can get that going.

    I normally use a ClearWire wireless broadband connection, but I like to
    keep my old Sysmatrix dial-in connection around as backup, for email in
    areas not covered by ClearWire.. In April, my 2-year contract with
    ClearWire will end, though, and I'm looking into other wireless solutions.

    (Especially as both ClearWire and Sysmatrix have recently dropped their
    POP email servers and routed their users through Gmail).

  2. Re: Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem

    > (Especially as both ClearWire and Sysmatrix have recently dropped their
    > POP email servers and routed their users through Gmail).

    =========================
    Thunderbird now has an option to use Gmail through a POP email server.

    Frank in northern Scotland

  3. Re: Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 06:32:18 -0400, highlandham wrote:

    >> (Especially as both ClearWire and Sysmatrix have recently dropped their
    >> POP email servers and routed their users through Gmail).

    > Thunderbird now has an option to use Gmail through a POP email server.

    Gmail provides POP (long time) and IMAP (more recent), and it's always
    been simple to configure T'bird to use either.

  4. Re: Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem

    On 20 Oct 2008 12:41:48 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > Gmail provides POP (long time) and IMAP (more recent), and it's always
    > been simple to configure T'bird to use either.

    Just remember the first step is to log into your gmail account and
    pick which one you are going to be using for remote access.

  5. Re: Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:15:19 -0700,
    none wrote:

    > The Conexant/Linuxant hfs driver I bought for Mandriva 2007 worked
    > for Mandriva 2008.0 in this Compaq Presario M2000 laptop, and after
    > installing 2009.0 "One" I find that a more recent version of that
    > driver is already installed.
    > This one uses the command "hfsconfig" instead of "hfconfig", though..
    > Unfortunately, when I run "/usr/sbin/hfsconfig --info" I'm told a
    > kernel wasn't installed. It suggests I run hfsconfig, and when I do I
    > get the same error message. No kernel.
    >
    > I've installed the Mandriva linux source kernel with associated devel
    > files, or tried to, since none of the available kernels listed seemed
    > to match the name: "2.6.27-desktop586-0.rc8.2mnb #1 SMP". The kernel
    > I got had all of the same info but lacked the word "desktop".
    >
    > Any idea as to what kernel I'm missing? I'm a little out of my "user"
    > depth here...

    First off, ensure that you have your urpmi sources properly configured,
    with at the very least a "main", "contrib", and "non-free" source, and
    a corresponding "updates" source for each of those three. The website
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org can assist with getting them set up.

    If you have the kernel-source-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm
    package installed, chances are you do not need it; it is only for those
    who intend to compile an entire new kernel from scratch. What you need
    is the kernel-desktop586-devel-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm one
    (available in the "main" repository); this contains just those bits of
    the full kernel source code that are required for compiling modules that
    will work with the exact kernel you have now. Rather than installing it
    by its full name, just install "kernel-desktop586-devel-latest", which
    will ensure that this package also gets updated as new kernels come out.

    Next, install the "hsfmodem-kernel-desktop586-latest" RPM, which is in
    the "non-free" repository. This should provide the precompiled kernel
    module that hsfconfig is complaining about not finding. Lastly, install
    the "dkms-hsfmodem" package (also in "non-free"); this will pull in a
    few other dependencies, like dkms, and will allow the system to compile
    its own hsfmodem module on the fly, at boot time, for any new kernels
    which you may install in the future even if you haven't yet acquired
    the precompiled module package for said kernel.

    > That, and the MCC modem setup says I've got an Intel
    > "82801DB/DBL/DBM" modem now... I'll leave that mystery for another
    > day.

    No idea what's up with that, sorry. :-/

    HTH!

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  6. Re: Mandriva 9 "One" and Conexant soft modem

    Bill Mullen wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:15:19 -0700,
    > none wrote:
    >
    >> The Conexant/Linuxant hfs driver I bought for Mandriva 2007 worked
    >> for Mandriva 2008.0 in this Compaq Presario M2000 laptop, and after
    >> installing 2009.0 "One" I find that a more recent version of that
    >> driver is already installed.
    >> This one uses the command "hfsconfig" instead of "hfconfig", though..
    >> Unfortunately, when I run "/usr/sbin/hfsconfig --info" I'm told a
    >> kernel wasn't installed. It suggests I run hfsconfig, and when I do I
    >> get the same error message. No kernel.
    >>
    >> I've installed the Mandriva linux source kernel with associated devel
    >> files, or tried to, since none of the available kernels listed seemed
    >> to match the name: "2.6.27-desktop586-0.rc8.2mnb #1 SMP". The kernel
    >> I got had all of the same info but lacked the word "desktop".
    >>
    >> Any idea as to what kernel I'm missing? I'm a little out of my "user"
    >> depth here...

    > First off, ensure that you have your urpmi sources properly configured,
    > with at the very least a "main", "contrib", and "non-free" source, and
    > a corresponding "updates" source for each of those three. The website
    > http://easyurpmi.zarb.org can assist with getting them set up.
    >
    > If you have the kernel-source-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm
    > package installed, chances are you do not need it; it is only for those
    > who intend to compile an entire new kernel from scratch. What you need
    > is the kernel-desktop586-devel-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb-1-1mnb2.i586.rpm one
    > (available in the "main" repository); this contains just those bits of
    > the full kernel source code that are required for compiling modules that
    > will work with the exact kernel you have now. Rather than installing it
    > by its full name, just install "kernel-desktop586-devel-latest", which
    > will ensure that this package also gets updated as new kernels come out.
    >
    > Next, install the "hsfmodem-kernel-desktop586-latest" RPM, which is in
    > the "non-free" repository. This should provide the precompiled kernel
    > module that hsfconfig is complaining about not finding. Lastly, install
    > the "dkms-hsfmodem" package (also in "non-free"); this will pull in a
    > few other dependencies, like dkms, and will allow the system to compile
    > its own hsfmodem module on the fly, at boot time, for any new kernels
    > which you may install in the future even if you haven't yet acquired
    > the precompiled module package for said kernel.
    >
    >> That, and the MCC modem setup says I've got an Intel
    >> "82801DB/DBL/DBM" modem now... I'll leave that mystery for another
    >> day.

    > No idea what's up with that, sorry. :-/
    >
    > HTH!

    Thanks! I'll take what I can get!
    I'll print your post and get working on it tomorrow - for now, setting
    up Seamonkey Mail for the "POP goes the Gmail Magical Mystery Tour" has
    taken up my evening - got all four email accounts going, though.

+ Reply to Thread