GRUB problems. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on GRUB problems. - Mandriva ; I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions. The installer crashes before it reaches the bootloader stage, and sends me to a normal "live CD" desktop. I am not alone in this, but it does seem to ...

  1. GRUB problems.

    I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions. The
    installer crashes before it reaches the bootloader stage, and sends me to a
    normal "live CD" desktop. I am not alone in this, but it does seem to be a
    minority problem. The GRUB packages are installed, but there is
    no /boot/grub subdirectory, so no menu.lst. I created /boot/grub/ and
    copied the image files across, as advised by info grub.

    I added a line for Ubuntu to my Mdv 2008.1 bootloader with MCC, but the
    Ubuntu bootup hangs immediately after it is called, with just a black
    screen and no prompt or text cursor.

    My hardware is a SATA HD on /dev/sda, which GRUB calls hd0. Partition 1 is
    WinXP, Partitions 2-11 are Mandriva, with boot on sda5 (hd0,4). Partition
    12 is Ubuntu root, and 13 is Ubuntu /home. the current line in menu.lst
    is:

    title ubuntu
    kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda12 vga=788

    There is no initrd.img, only initrd.img.bak I tried renaming it, but that
    was even worse. Previous Ubuntu installations have pointed to /etc/init or
    something similar.

    Origiinally the line included BOOTIMAGE=ubuntu

    Any suggestions please, other than using LILO? In my experience, LILO is
    easier to configure. But I have no initrd.img.

    As an afterthought, should I have Ubuntu's kernel files in Mandriva's /boot?

    Doug.
    --
    Dogmatism is only puppyism come to full growth.

  2. Re: GRUB problems.

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:06:24 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions.

    And your Mandriva question in this Mandraiva Usenet group is....

    > title ubuntu
    > kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda12 vga=788

    Hard coding version in your "Production" boot loader is a maintenance
    headache when the kernel in the other install changes.

    I recommend always doing a grub bootloader install into MBR.
    For booting other installs, add a grub stanza like

    title /2009_0
    root (hd0,7)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Now when an install updates the kernel and it's menu.lst,
    you do not have to change your "Production" menu.lst.

    Downside is you get two grub boot menu selections when booting other install.
    Since I always change timeout to 5 seconds. It is not much of a problem for me.

    > There is no initrd.img, only initrd.img.bak

    The your menu.lst stanza would have
    initrd (hd0,11)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

    and you need to figure out why /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic does
    not exists and create one.

    > I tried renaming it, but that was even worse. Previous Ubuntu
    > installations have pointed to /etc/init or something similar.

    > Any suggestions please, other than using LILO? In my experience, LILO is
    > easier to configure.

    Until you know where initrd and kernel are located, lilo is not going
    to help.

    > But I have no initrd.img.

    But you need one, so get one.

    My recommendation, format and install again, into MBR.
    Once running, add your Mandriva stanza, Example only:

    title Mandriva
    root (hd0,7)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    > As an afterthought, should I have Ubuntu's kernel files in Mandriva's /boot?

    I never bother with that. All my installs have their files in their partition.
    Keeps maintenance down for me.

  3. Re: GRUB problems.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:06:24 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions.

    > And your Mandriva question in this Mandraiva Usenet group is....
    >

    >> title ubuntu
    >> kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda12 vga=788

    > Hard coding version in your "Production" boot loader is a maintenance
    > headache when the kernel in the other install changes.
    >
    > I recommend always doing a grub bootloader install into MBR.
    > For booting other installs, add a grub stanza like
    >
    > title /2009_0
    > root (hd0,7)
    > configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > Now when an install updates the kernel and it's menu.lst,
    > you do not have to change your "Production" menu.lst.
    >
    > Downside is you get two grub boot menu selections when booting other
    > install. Since I always change timeout to 5 seconds. It is not much of a
    > problem for me.
    >

    >> There is no initrd.img, only initrd.img.bak

    > The your menu.lst stanza would have
    > initrd (hd0,11)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
    >
    > and you need to figure out why /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic does
    > not exists and create one.
    >
    >> I tried renaming it, but that was even worse. Previous Ubuntu
    >> installations have pointed to /etc/init or something similar.

    >> Any suggestions please, other than using LILO? In my experience, LILO is
    >> easier to configure.

    > Until you know where initrd and kernel are located, lilo is not going
    > to help.
    >

    >> But I have no initrd.img.

    > But you need one, so get one.
    >
    > My recommendation, format and install again, into MBR.

    I would, but the installer crashes every time, even with [KX]ubuntu.
    If it didn't I would not have this problem.

    > Once running, add your Mandriva stanza, Example only:
    >
    > title Mandriva
    > root (hd0,7)
    > configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    >> As an afterthought, should I have Ubuntu's kernel files in Mandriva's
    >> /boot?

    > I never bother with that. All my installs have their files in their
    > partition. Keeps maintenance down for me.

    Thanks. I was thinking of doing it all in the Mandriva /boot/grub/menu.lst.
    But if I use the "configfile=" I must have a menu.lst for Ubuntu. That is
    how Mandriva2009 does it, except that at one stage, the two were passing
    the buck to each other, in an infinite loop.

    Doug.
    --
    Ugliness is only skin deep.
    - W.G.P.

  4. Re: GRUB problems.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > My hardware is a SATA HD on /dev/sda, which GRUB calls hd0. Partition 1 is
    > WinXP, Partitions 2-11 are Mandriva, with boot on sda5 (hd0,4). Partition
    > 12 is Ubuntu root, and 13 is Ubuntu /home. the current line in menu.lst
    > is:

    In grub terms, your first partition is (hd0,0). This is presumably
    where WinXP is located. Partition sda5, known to grub as (hd0,4),
    is automagically assigned to swap during a normal install.
    Partitions sda2 thru sda4 exist in name only, due to legacy reasons.
    They should not appear in fstab or as the results of the mount command.

    Partitions sda5 thru sda15 will be recognized by grub as (hd0,4) thru
    (hd0,15).

    When booted from your "live CD version," use mount to find out what
    is mounted, and check to make sure the contents are as expected.

    Second, make sure you have an /initrd directory in the partition you
    are booting from. It can be empty, but usually has a file in it that
    is a warning message:

    Don't remove this directory, it's needed at boot time,
    in the initrd, to perform the pivot_root.

    Ownership and permissions are the normal:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-06-08 20:27 initrd/

    As BitTwister mentioned, best to put the boot loader in the MBR.

    You should not mix Ubuntu kernels with those in Mandriva'a /boot.

    You do need an initrd.img, as well as the directory for it to use as
    a pivot. Copying initrd.img.bak to initrd.img should work, if
    ownership and permissions are correct.

    I'm including a couple of grub stanzas, just as a model of something
    that works. The first is for my current 2008.1 kernel. The second
    calls the grub loader for an old 2008.0 install. (Backslashes
    followed immediately by a carriage return continue the line without a
    newline.) Your partition names may be in the format /dev/sda[1-16],
    LABEL, or UUID. For the last, replace LABEL in menu.lst with UUID.
    For the first, use format root=/dev/sda5 for the partition you are
    booting to.

    title desktop 2.6.25.11-tmb-2
    kernel (hd1,9)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.11-tmb-desktop-2mdv \
    BOOT_IMAGE=desktop_2.6.25.11-tmb-2 root=LABEL=2008data mem=4000M \
    splash=verbose vga=788
    initrd (hd1,9)/boot/initrd-2.6.25.11-tmb-desktop-2mdv.img

    title Mandriva Linux release 2008.0 (Official)
    root (hd1,0)
    configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

    HTH.

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: GRUB problems.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:06:24 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions.

    > And your Mandriva question in this Mandraiva Usenet group is....

    (Sorry, I didn't catch my reply to edit it)

    Given that I can't have a working ./grub directory in Ubuntu, what is wrong
    with the menu.lst entry I set out, from my Mandriva /boot ?

    title ubuntu
    kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda12 vga=788

    Or is it all to do with initrd.img? Grub or at least Ubuntu, don't seem to
    have one.

    Doug.
    --
    They change their climate, not their soul, who run beyond the sea.
    - Horace, Roman poet, 1st c. B.C.

  6. Re: GRUB problems.

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 01:08:39 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:06:24 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>> I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions.

    >> And your Mandriva question in this Mandraiva Usenet group is....
    >>

    > (Sorry, I didn't catch my reply to edit it)

    Yep, that is why you put your reply/question/followup under the line
    under observation and trimming the post. Not piling everything at the bottom.

    > Given that I can't have a working ./grub directory in Ubuntu,

    That is what needs to be fixed. You will have to get k/ubuntu to
    complete the install and boot.

    > what is wrong
    > with the menu.lst entry I set out, from my Mandriva /boot ?

    I showed what you needed in my reply under your line

    >There is no initrd.img, only initrd.img.bak

    > Or is it all to do with initrd.img?

    Yes.

    > Grub or at least Ubuntu, don't seem to have one.

    You will have to get *butu to complete/boot before you can make
    any boot loader work.

  7. Re: GRUB problems.

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on a couple of spare partitions. The
    > installer crashes before it reaches the bootloader stage, and sends
    > me to a normal "live CD" desktop. I am not alone in this, but it
    > does seem to be a minority problem. The GRUB packages are installed,
    > but there is no /boot/grub subdirectory, so no menu.lst. I
    > created /boot/grub/ and copied the image files across, as advised by
    > info grub.
    >
    > I added a line for Ubuntu to my Mdv 2008.1 bootloader with MCC, but
    > the Ubuntu bootup hangs immediately after it is called, with just a
    > black screen and no prompt or text cursor.
    >
    > My hardware is a SATA HD on /dev/sda, which GRUB calls hd0.
    > Partition 1 is WinXP, Partitions 2-11 are Mandriva, with boot on sda5
    > (hd0,4). Partition 12 is Ubuntu root, and 13 is Ubuntu /home. the
    > current line in menu.lst is:
    >
    > title ubuntu
    > kernel (hd0,11)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda12 vga=788
    >
    > There is no initrd.img, only initrd.img.bak I tried renaming it, but
    > that was even worse. Previous Ubuntu installations have pointed
    > to /etc/init or something similar.
    >
    > Origiinally the line included BOOTIMAGE=ubuntu
    >
    > Any suggestions please, other than using LILO? In my experience,
    > LILO is easier to configure. But I have no initrd.img.
    >
    > As an afterthought, should I have Ubuntu's kernel files in
    > Mandriva's /boot?

    I had a similar problem while installing Ubuntu, but it apparently got
    a bit further along than yours did before failing, as I found that both
    an initrd and a /boot/grub/menu.lst were created ... just no GRUB in
    the partition's MBR, as I had intended for there to be.

    I added the following 3 lines to MDV2008.1's menu.lst, and they worked:

    title Ubuntu 8.04
    kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda8 ro
    locale=en_US
    initrd (hd0,7)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

    Obviously, that won't work for you, with no initrd file. You could try
    to create one by mounting your Ubuntu root partition under MDV and doing
    a chroot into it, then running mkinitrd with the appropriate options;
    might work, might not, YMMV. Something along these lines, done as root:

    mount /mnt/ubuntu # assumes fstab entry exists for /dev/sda12
    mount -t none /proc /mnt/ubuntu/proc
    chroot /mnt/ubuntu
    source /etc/profile
    mkinitrd --image-version /boot/initrd.img 2.6.24-16-generic
    exit
    umount /mnt/ubuntu/proc
    umount /mnt/ubuntu

    HTH!

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  8. Re: GRUB problems.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >> (Sorry, I didn't catch my reply to edit it)

    > Yep, that is why you put your reply/question/followup under the line
    > under observation and trimming the post. Not piling everything at the
    > bottom.

    That wasn't what I meant. I use leafnode, on an hourly cron job. I often
    add to a post before it goes. I remembered the extra at 5 minutes past the
    hour.

    Ubuntu has initrd.img in /, as an empty link to initrd.img in /boot. The
    same with vmlinuz.

    Doug.
    --
    A lifetime warranty is a fascinating thing. It means that the warranty
    expires the moment the item breaks down.

  9. Re: GRUB problems.

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 15:53:23 -0500,
    Bill Mullen wrote:

    > mount -t none /proc /mnt/ubuntu/proc

    Sorry, should be:

    mount -t none proc /mnt/ubuntu/proc

    --
    Bill Mullen
    RLU #270075

  10. Re: GRUB problems. - SOLVED (so far as Mdv is concerned.)

    A GRUB HOWTO on the Kubuntu site recommended the Super GRUB Boot Disk:
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

    and a HOWTO for it at
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html
    Trust the Aussies!

    Using these resources I was able to boot into Ubuntu and insert a modified
    version of menu.lst.example from my Mandriva /boot/grub/ . This (with
    initrd.img.bak renamed) allowed me to boot into Ubuntu only, (no graphics)
    but the boot process hung halfway through. Plainly my Ubuntu installation
    is defective, but I thought that I would pass on the resources. I already
    had a copy of Super Grub, but the detailed HOWTO was the secret. Instead
    of separate pages, it is one big page bookmarked with # tags, which is a
    bit of a pity. I was wondering why it was such a big print job.

    Sounds as if I am getting too old for Linux and should go back to Windows.

    Doug.

    --
    There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
    - R.L. Stevenson.

  11. Re: GRUB problems.

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 06:30:45 -0400, Bill Mullen wrote:

    > Sorry, should be:
    > mount -t none proc /mnt/ubuntu/proc

    I use (copied from /etc/rc.d/init.d/named) ...
    mount --bind /proc /var/mnt/2008.1/proc -o ro

    Regards, Dave Hodgins