Wireless Problem on 2009.0 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Wireless Problem on 2009.0 - Mandriva ; I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a pug-in Linksys card. I tried removing all security from all three machines (the ...

  1. Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a pug-in
    Linksys card.

    I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being the
    router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The windows
    machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The signal level
    indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will not connect.
    At least most of the time.

    Any suggestions anyone?

  2. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:19:12 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > The signal level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it
    > will not connect. At least most of the time.

    I couldn't get mine to connect (atheros chipset) until I dropped security
    to WEP and set the IP address to automatic. Now working OK.

    What is the wireless protocol on yours? WEP or WPA?

  3. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Artful Codger wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:19:12 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> The signal level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it
    >> will not connect. At least most of the time.

    > I couldn't get mine to connect (atheros chipset) until I dropped security
    > to WEP and set the IP address to automatic. Now working OK.
    >
    > What is the wireless protocol on yours? WEP or WPA?

    I have the atheros chipset too (Gigabyte device).

    Bizarrely tonight. It came up and stayed up! I actually held my first two
    way Skype video exchange with my daughter in Israel. Looking up each
    other's noses isn't all its cracked up to be!.

    The only difference that I can detect from this morning is that I have
    neither a Ethernet cable plugged in nor a USB2.0 connected DVD recorder.

    I am using WEP.

    I'll keep a watch on what seems to affect it.

    What sort of machine are you using?

    Regards, Alan

  4. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    After my last message, tried to look at the wireless settings. That brought
    the contact down an it wouldn't come back until I cold booted. Plugging in
    the power, ethernet lead and DVD drive had no effect.

    Its a bit like schrodinger's cat(!)

    Regards, Alan

  5. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Saturday 18 October 2008 22:38, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > After my last message, tried to look at the wireless settings. That
    > brought the contact down an it wouldn't come back until I cold booted.
    > Plugging in the power, ethernet lead and DVD drive had no effect.
    >
    > Its a bit like schrodinger's cat(!)

    The analogy of that last remark eludes me...

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  6. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Aragorn wrote:

    > On Saturday 18 October 2008 22:38, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    > wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >
    >> After my last message, tried to look at the wireless settings. That
    >> brought the contact down an it wouldn't come back until I cold booted.
    >> Plugging in the power, ethernet lead and DVD drive had no effect.
    >>
    >> Its a bit like schrodinger's cat(!)

    > The analogy of that last remark eludes me...

    It's a bit of a stretch from one aspect of quantum theory to another.
    Look up quantum theory. You'll see it after a bit of Googling .

    Regards, Alan

  7. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Saturday 18 October 2008 22:38, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    >> wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> After my last message, tried to look at the wireless settings. That
    >>> brought the contact down an it wouldn't come back until I cold booted.
    >>> Plugging in the power, ethernet lead and DVD drive had no effect.
    >>>
    >>> Its a bit like schrodinger's cat(!)

    >> The analogy of that last remark eludes me...
    >>

    > It's a bit of a stretch from one aspect of quantum theory to another.
    > Look up quantum theory. You'll see it after a bit of Googling .

    Briefly, if something is of uncertain status, it may be in the status
    you want or the status you do not want (assuming a bimodal choice).
    Maybe it will work, or maybe not. Mathematically, it can be treated
    as indeterminate.

    But if you inspect the status, the very act of checking it will force
    the status to one and only one of the possibilities, irrevocably. In
    accordance with Murphy's Law, this will usually be the one you do not
    want.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  8. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Sunday 19 October 2008 00:39, someone identifying as *Alan Secker* wrote
    in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > Aragorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Saturday 18 October 2008 22:38, someone identifying as *Alan Secker*
    >> wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/
    >>
    >>> After my last message, tried to look at the wireless settings. That
    >>> brought the contact down an it wouldn't come back until I cold booted.
    >>> Plugging in the power, ethernet lead and DVD drive had no effect.
    >>>
    >>> Its a bit like schrodinger's cat(!)

    >> The analogy of that last remark eludes me...

    > It's a bit of a stretch from one aspect of quantum theory to another.
    > Look up quantum theory. You'll see it after a bit of Googling .

    I think you may have misunderstood me, Alan. ;-) I am very much aware of
    the laws of quantum physics, and of the meaning of Schrödinger's thought
    experiment regarding his cat - which was basically just his way of showing
    that the Copenhagen definition of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle left
    room for paradoxes ;-) - but what I don't understand is how you equate your
    experiences with your machine to Schrödinger's thought experiment.

    It seems like a non-sequitur to me. Perhaps that is where your mentioning
    of a /stretch/ comes in... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  9. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Aragorn writes:

    >On Sunday 19 October 2008 00:39, someone identifying as *Alan Secker* wrote
    >in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    >> Aragorn wrote:

    >>> The analogy of that last remark eludes me...

    >> It's a bit of a stretch from one aspect of quantum theory to another.
    >> Look up quantum theory. You'll see it after a bit of Googling .

    >I think you may have misunderstood me, Alan. ;-) I am very much aware of
    >the laws of quantum physics, and of the meaning of Schrödinger's thought
    >experiment regarding his cat - which was basically just his way of showing
    >that the Copenhagen definition of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle left
    >room for paradoxes ;-) - but what I don't understand is how you equate your
    >experiences with your machine to Schrödinger's thought experiment.

    >It seems like a non-sequitur to me. Perhaps that is where your mentioning
    >of a /stretch/ comes in... ;-)

    Maybe when he observed his machine to be dead, it was always dead
    thereafter-- just as if you observer the cat to be dead, all future
    observations will find it to be dead as well.

    >--
    >*Aragorn*
    >(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  10. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:16:55 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Maybe when he observed his machine to be dead, it was always dead
    > thereafter-- just as if you observer the cat to be dead, all future
    > observations will find it to be dead as well.

    ohhhh, I thought he meant Schrodingers cat had wireless connection
    problems too. B-p

    To return to Alans question, the hardware is an Acer Aspire 3053 laptop,
    dual booting with XP and 2009 X64 powerpack installed.

  11. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    > PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a pug-in
    > Linksys card.
    >
    > I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being the
    > router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The windows
    > machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The signal level
    > indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will not connect.
    > At least most of the time.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    what driver are you using, madwifi or ath5k
    maby try switching ad see if that helps

  12. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:58:06 -0600, chris gareau wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >> I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    >> PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a
    >> pug-in Linksys card.
    >>
    >> I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being
    >> the router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The
    >> windows machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The
    >> signal level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will
    >> not connect. At least most of the time.
    >>

    > what driver are you using, madwifi or ath5k maby try switching ad see if
    > that helps

    The 901 has a Ralink (2680 or suchlike?) not the Atheros card in the 701
    and 900.

    The switching suggestion made me recall that I saw a suggestion by no
    less than Adam Williamson to try changing the DHCP client in the control
    centre. Some people apparently get better results using dhcpcd than the
    default dhclient.

    It's a simple and easily reversible change to try, after all.

  13. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    O.K. It had more to do with entanglement. Try to measure EITHER the location
    or velocity and your connection drops. Or rather it did until Mandriva
    posted a fix on Saturday. Works a treat! The link is

    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=96921

    Regards, Alan

  14. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:58:06 -0600, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>> I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    >>> PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a
    >>> pug-in Linksys card.
    >>>
    >>> I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being
    >>> the router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The
    >>> windows machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The
    >>> signal level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will
    >>> not connect. At least most of the time.
    >>>

    >> what driver are you using, madwifi or ath5k maby try switching ad see if
    >> that helps

    > The 901 has a Ralink (2680 or suchlike?) not the Atheros card in the 701
    > and 900.
    >
    > The switching suggestion made me recall that I saw a suggestion by no
    > less than Adam Williamson to try changing the DHCP client in the control
    > centre. Some people apparently get better results using dhcpcd than the
    > default dhclient.
    >
    > It's a simple and easily reversible change to try, after all.

    oh ok well I thought somebody here mentioned Atheros

  15. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:58:06 -0600, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>> I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    >>> PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a
    >>> pug-in Linksys card.
    >>>
    >>> I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being
    >>> the router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The
    >>> windows machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The
    >>> signal level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will
    >>> not connect. At least most of the time.
    >>>

    >> what driver are you using, madwifi or ath5k maby try switching ad see if
    >> that helps

    > The 901 has a Ralink (2680 or suchlike?) not the Atheros card in the 701
    > and 900.

    It does if you change it, and I did!

    Regards, Alan

    > The switching suggestion made me recall that I saw a suggestion by no
    > less than Adam Williamson to try changing the DHCP client in the control
    > centre. Some people apparently get better results using dhcpcd than the
    > default dhclient.
    >
    > It's a simple and easily reversible change to try, after all.

  16. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:22:41 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    >> The 901 has a Ralink (2680 or suchlike?) not the Atheros card in the
    >> 701 and 900.

    > It does if you change it, and I did!

    Wimp. If you had been really tough you would have fitted a Broadcom 4318.

    ;-)

  17. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:22:41 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >>> The 901 has a Ralink (2680 or suchlike?) not the Atheros card in the
    >>> 701 and 900.

    >> It does if you change it, and I did!

    > Wimp. If you had been really tough you would have fitted a Broadcom 4318.
    >
    > ;-)

    I took the recommendation of other users on the EEE PC User Forum. I had
    not read or heard any reports about the broadcom or indeed the Intel WiFi
    module, now receiving attention. However now that my Mandriva powered EEE
    901 PC has everything working and been given a field test, I am amazed to
    find it will resolve pretty low signal strengths very well indeed although
    I have no way of knowing which frequency band(s) is/are responsible.

    Regards, Alan

  18. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:11:50 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> It does if you change it, and I did!

    >> Wimp. If you had been really tough you would have fitted a Broadcom
    >> 4318.
    >>
    >> ;-)

    > I took the recommendation of other users on the EEE PC User Forum. I had
    > not read or heard any reports about the broadcom or indeed the Intel
    > WiFi module, now receiving attention.

    It was an attempt at tasteless humour. The Broadcom wireless chipsets
    were historically the nastiest to get working with Linux, and are still a
    pain, although nothing like so bad as they once were.

    > However now that my Mandriva
    > powered EEE 901 PC has everything working and been given a field test, I
    > am amazed to find it will resolve pretty low signal strengths very well
    > indeed although I have no way of knowing which frequency band(s) is/are
    > responsible.

    The Atheros chips seem to be better than others at channel
    discrimination. They are definitely harder to confuse (IME) when there
    are multiple access points in the area.

  19. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    > PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a
    > pug-in Linksys card.
    >
    > I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being the
    > router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The windows
    > machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The signal
    > level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will not
    > connect. At least most of the time.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    Try these erratas:
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_E..._on_Eee_models

    And there is a new issue, dhcp seems to have a problems on some machines,
    and to resolve this, in drakconnect change DHCP client to DHCPCD client.

    --
    Web Dreamer

  20. Re: Wireless Problem on 2009.0

    Web Dreamer wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I had this working fine, then it suddenly dropped. The system is an EEE
    >> PC901. I have a reference machine, a Windows 98 based laptop using a
    >> pug-in Linksys card.
    >>
    >> I tried removing all security from all three machines (the third being
    >> the router supplying DHCP services) and bringing them back slowly. The
    >> windows machine responded at all levels but the Linux one did not. The
    >> signal level indicator shows a strong signal being received but it will
    >> not connect. At least most of the time.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions anyone?

    > Try these erratas:
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_E..._on_Eee_models

    > And there is a new issue, dhcp seems to have a problems on some machines,
    > and to resolve this, in drakconnect change DHCP client to DHCPCD client.

    It was fixed, thanks. See my message of 23 Oct 2008/

    Regards

    Alan

+ Reply to Thread