FYI for dovecot users - Mandriva

This is a discussion on FYI for dovecot users - Mandriva ; Check this out http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards My solution, move dovecot start up links to start after ntpd. In /etc/init.d/dovecot change # chkconfig: 345 54 46 to # chkconfig: 345 57 46 then do a service dovecot stop chkconfig --del dovecot chkconfig --add ...

  1. FYI for dovecot users

    Check this out
    http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards

    My solution, move dovecot start up links to start after ntpd.

    In /etc/init.d/dovecot
    change # chkconfig: 345 54 46
    to # chkconfig: 345 57 46

    then do a
    service dovecot stop
    chkconfig --del dovecot
    chkconfig --add dovecot
    service dovecot start

    I happen to have created and install_changes script to automate all my
    custom changes after a clean install. dovecot snippet follows:

    #*******************************
    # dovecot fix
    #*******************************

    _fn=/etc/init.d/dovecot
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    if [ ! -e ${_fn}_orig ] ; then
    echo "fixing $_fn"
    cp $_fn ${_fn}_orig
    chmod -x ${_fn}_orig
    /bin/cp /dev/null $_fn
    while read line ; do
    set -- $line
    if [ "$2" = "chkconfig:" ] ; then
    line="# chkconfig: 345 57 46"
    fi
    if [ "$2" = "\"Usage:" ] ; then
    line=" gprintf \"Usage: %s {start|stop|restart|reload|condrestart|status}\\n\" \"\$0\" "
    fi
    echo "$line" >> $_fn
    done < ${_fn}_orig
    fi

    service dovecot stop
    /sbin/chkconfig --del dovecot
    /sbin/chkconfig --add dovecot
    service dovecot start
    fi

    _fn=/etc/dovecot.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    if [ ! -e ${_fn}_orig ] ; then
    echo "fixing $_fn"
    cp $_fn ${_fn}_orig
    chmod -x ${_fn}_orig
    /bin/cp /dev/null $_fn
    while read line ; do
    set -- $line
    if [ "$1" = "#mail_location" ] ; then
    line="mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u"
    fi
    if [ "$1" = "#protocols" ] ; then
    line="protocols = imap imaps"
    fi
    echo "$line" >> $_fn
    done < ${_fn}_orig
    fi
    fi

  2. Re: FYI for dovecot users

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:03:45 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
    > Check this out
    > http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards
    >
    > My solution, move dovecot start up links to start after ntpd.
    >
    > In /etc/init.d/dovecot
    > change # chkconfig: 345 54 46
    > to # chkconfig: 345 57 46
    >
    > then do a
    > service dovecot stop
    > chkconfig --del dovecot
    > chkconfig --add dovecot
    > service dovecot start

    If using ntp, you might consider changing the /etc/init.d/dovecot header to read

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Init file for Dovecot IMAP daemon
    #
    # Written by Dag Wieers .
    #
    # chkconfig: 345 57 46
    #
    # processname: dovecot
    # config: /etc/dovecot.conf
    # pidfile: /var/run/dovecot
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: dovecot
    # Should-Start: ntpd
    # Default-Start: 3 4 5
    # Short-Description: Starts dovecot daemon
    ### END INIT INFO

    # source function library

  3. Re: FYI for dovecot users

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:03:45 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Check this out
    > http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards
    >
    > My solution, move dovecot start up links to start after ntpd.

    So for systems where the clock is set to localtime, will it be a problem
    using dovecot between Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 0200 Daylight Saving time
    and 0200 Standard time?

    Looking at the code (in dovecot-1.1.3/src/lib/ioloop.c), it'll sleep if the
    time has moved back by 5 seconds or less, but will terminate with an error
    message, if the time is more than 5 seconds.

    Looks like it will die when Standard time kicks in, and will be down for
    an hour. Pretty messy way to handle things.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: FYI for dovecot users

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > So for systems where the clock is set to localtime, will it be a problem
    > using dovecot between Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 0200 Daylight Saving
    > time and 0200 Standard time?

    I doubt it. DST & timezone offsets are applied when rendering the clock into
    a human-readable form. I would expect dovecot to use some form of the
    system clock which is typically UTC.

    Simon

+ Reply to Thread