Stopping mdkapplet from starting - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Stopping mdkapplet from starting - Mandriva ; Multiple boot laptop. One of the distros is Mandriva 2008.1 mini with IceWM and is used exclusively for online gaming. The annoyance is mdkapplet running from time to time and making the system less responsive when checking for updates. I ...

  1. Stopping mdkapplet from starting

    Multiple boot laptop. One of the distros is Mandriva 2008.1 mini with
    IceWM and is used exclusively for online gaming. The annoyance is
    mdkapplet running from time to time and making the system less
    responsive when checking for updates. I would like to stop it from
    running at all and do a manual check for updates through MCC.

    There is only one autostart folder I could find, /usr/share/autostart/,
    and I moved Mandriva Online Applet to a user created folder in
    /usr/share/. After a reboot mdkapplet is still running.

    Is there a way of stopping mdkapplet from running, short of removing
    /usr/bin/mdkapplet from the system? There is a configuration file
    /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet, but there are no options in it to disable
    mdkapplet from running, or to limit it to only one run after login.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Stopping mdkapplet from starting

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:25:23 +1100, cMz wrote:

    > Is there a way of stopping mdkapplet from running, short of removing
    > /usr/bin/mdkapplet from the system?

    Please bookmark this very large FAQ search engine url
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    putting disable mdkapplet in the first box, we find

    Results 1 - 10 of 13 for disable mdkapplet

  3. Re: Stopping mdkapplet from starting

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:25:23 +1100, cMz wrote:
    >> Is there a way of stopping mdkapplet from running, short of removing
    >> /usr/bin/mdkapplet from the system?

    > Please bookmark this very large FAQ search engine url
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
    > putting disable mdkapplet in the first box, we find
    >

    > Results 1 - 10 of 13 for disable mdkapplet

    Unfortunately there is no mdkapplet icon in my IceWM task bar. I tried
    removing any reference to it from all autostart folders I could find
    without joy. In the end I created a script ~/.icewm/startup with a line
    pkill mdkapplet, which appears to get rid of the sucker. Not elegant,
    I have to admit, but effective.

    Anyway, thanks for your interest.

  4. Re: Stopping mdkapplet from starting

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 01:44:23 +1100, cMz wrote:

    > Unfortunately there is no mdkapplet icon in my IceWM task bar.

    Looking through the first link found in the search engine you might
    have missed

    "I disable mdkapplet (right click, disable). This sets AUTOSTART=FALSE in
    ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline.

    Change it to TRUE, or run mdkapplet -f, if you
    later want it back. "

    Doing a
    echo AUTOSTART=FALSE > ~/.MdkOnline/mdkonline
    should have disable it.

    > I tried
    > removing any reference to it from all autostart folders I could find
    > without joy.

    Doing a locate mdkapplet might have suggested /etc/X11/xinit.d/mdkapplet

    > In the end I created a script ~/.icewm/startup with a line

    Always helps to proved those kinds of details. To enhance your Usenet
    experience you might want to read

    > pkill mdkapplet, which appears to get rid of the sucker. Not elegant,
    > I have to admit, but effective.

    I would say so. 8-)

+ Reply to Thread