Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5 - Mandriva ; I thought I was going to get KDE 4 with this upgrade but I did not. When I run Software Update Packages from Mandriva Control Center it does not tell me anything about KDE 4. I also lost 3D desktop. ...

  1. Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5

    I thought I was going to get KDE 4 with this upgrade but I did not.

    When I run Software Update Packages from Mandriva Control Center it
    does not tell me anything about KDE 4.

    I also lost 3D desktop. Now it's plain 2D.

    How can I upgrade to KDE 4?

    thanks.

  2. Re: Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5

    agron.usa.2008@gmail.com wrote:
    > I thought I was going to get KDE 4 with this upgrade but I did not.
    >
    > When I run Software Update Packages from Mandriva Control Center it
    > does not tell me anything about KDE 4.
    >
    > How can I upgrade to KDE 4?

    Pretty much everyone else here is busy migrating back to KDE3. You'll
    see why when you finally get KDE4 installed.

  3. Re: Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5

    Keith wrote:

    > agron.usa.2008@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I thought I was going to get KDE 4 with this upgrade but I did not.
    >>
    >> When I run Software Update Packages from Mandriva Control Center it
    >> does not tell me anything about KDE 4.
    >>
    >> How can I upgrade to KDE 4?

    To install kde4:
    urpmi task-kde4

    To start kde3 or kde4:
    In the login screen of you dm, you can select if you want to start kde or
    kde4.

    To start single kde3-applications, you find the binaries here:
    /opt/kde3/bin/

    > Pretty much everyone else here is busy migrating back to KDE3. You'll
    > see why when you finally get KDE4 installed.

    To install kde3:
    urpmi task-kde3

    I think kde3 is the best option for users that are in a hurry, and they want
    to do things real quickly.
    Kde4 might be good for users that are looking for trendy graphic.

    For users that works hard and fast, i think kde3 is the most efficient
    option. Here you can quickly do what you want with some fast keystrokes. In
    KDE4, you might struggle with grapics, click and search, and scroll, and
    waist a lot of time.
    KDE3 has some real smart solutions. The file dialog that you use to open and
    save files, is just a miracle. There is a location bar, where you can enter
    the name of the folder. Here, you can use any protokoll, to access folders
    on local machine, or remote machines. To use scp, for example, you can
    write fish://hostname/folder/subfolder/, or
    fish://username@hostort/folder/subfolder, etc. While you are writing the
    name of the folder, you will see available name complitions.
    This is a good reason to stay to kde3.
    There are some smart things that still works in kde4. Like the web shortcuts
    in konqueror. I can't live without them:
    http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000020

    Every time i start kde3 for a new user, there are few adjustments that i do.
    Like changing the size of the task bar from small to normal. I did not find
    that option in kde4.
    There are few adjustments to do when you start to use kde4:
    To get detailed view of folders and files, you should go to the kde
    settings, and set the filemanager to use the same properties for every
    folder. Then you can select detailed view next time you browse through a
    folder.

    After installing 2009, you can look at this site:
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata

  4. Re: Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5

    Keith wrote:

    >Pretty much everyone else here is busy migrating back to KDE3. You'll
    >see why when you finally get KDE4 installed.

    Yep. I've thrown in the towel.

    I tried to set up some scripts to use as workarounds for some missing
    functions in kde4, then found that the scripts could not be given file
    associations because any attempt to do so caused "Configure Your Desktop"
    to crash. Too many show-stoppers. Sigh. urpmi task-kde3.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  5. Re: Upgraded from 2008.1 to 2009.0 but still on KDE 3.5

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:57:56 +0200, Amund wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    >
    >> agron.usa.2008@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I thought I was going to get KDE 4 with this upgrade but I did not.
    >>>
    >>> When I run Software Update Packages from Mandriva Control Center it
    >>> does not tell me anything about KDE 4.
    >>>
    >>> How can I upgrade to KDE 4?

    > To install kde4:
    > urpmi task-kde4
    >
    > To start kde3 or kde4:
    > In the login screen of you dm, you can select if you want to start kde or
    > kde4.

    For the "startx" fokes, you can hard code kde3 with
    echo DESKTOP=KDE > .desktop

+ Reply to Thread