Firefox Open Java - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Firefox Open Java - Mandriva ; I wanted to know if the new Open Java plugin for Firefox was installed by default in Mandriva 2009, so I googled on "Java Test", and got: www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml It popped up a window containing the prompt: Open Source JNLP Client ...

  1. Firefox Open Java

    I wanted to know if the new Open Java plugin for Firefox was installed by
    default in Mandriva 2009, so I googled on "Java Test", and got:

    www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

    It popped up a window containing the prompt:

    Open Source JNLP Client
    Netx needs a location for storing cache files:
    /tmp

    Now, that's a trustworthy site, so I'm sure that all I needed to do was
    accept "/tmp", and Java would be working fine, but I always close popup
    boxes generated by websites on the principle of good security.

    It wouldn't close. The ctrl-alt-esc cursor of death killed the window but
    left a firefox process running in the background. The only way to get
    rid of it was to forcibly kill the firefox process.

    Ho hum. I tell people *never* to accept popups unless they're sure that
    they understand them. And yet situations like this seem to force
    exceptions to that rule.

    Does anybody else get this prompt or is it some misconfiguration of my
    installation?

    --
    Dave Farrance

  2. Re: Firefox Open Java

    Dave Farrance wrote:
    > I wanted to know if the new Open Java plugin for Firefox was installed by
    > default in Mandriva 2009, so I googled on "Java Test", and got:
    >
    > www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
    >
    > It popped up a window containing the prompt:
    >
    > Open Source JNLP Client
    > Netx needs a location for storing cache files:
    > /tmp
    >
    > Now, that's a trustworthy site, so I'm sure that all I needed to do was
    > accept "/tmp", and Java would be working fine, but I always close popup
    > boxes generated by websites on the principle of good security.
    >
    > It wouldn't close. The ctrl-alt-esc cursor of death killed the window but
    > left a firefox process running in the background. The only way to get
    > rid of it was to forcibly kill the firefox process.
    >
    > Ho hum. I tell people *never* to accept popups unless they're sure that
    > they understand them. And yet situations like this seem to force
    > exceptions to that rule.
    >
    > Does anybody else get this prompt or is it some misconfiguration of my
    > installation?

    I clicked the link, and got the standard Sun test to see if Java is
    correctly installed. (It was, version 1.7).

    Open Source JNLP Client
    Netx needs a location for storing cache files

    The above two lines in your pop-up are for javaws (java web start),
    and the jnlp specifically is java network launch program. The
    version of Java I use on my 64-bit machine does not support javaws
    and the Sun server apparently recognizes this and reacts accordingly.

    It may be that javaws has never been configured on your machine,
    which would explain the request for a storage area (though I would
    think that would be set on installation).

    Another possible problem is with the javaws itself. My understanding
    is that jnlp is for launch of javaws outside the browser (e.g. from
    the command line), and since you were using a browser this should not
    have been invoked. However, it is possible for a jnlp launch to be
    made from within a browser but then run outside and independently of
    the browser. I do some indexing, and using javaws on a 32-bit
    virtual machine I have my choice of running javaws ${program}.jnlp
    from the command line or launching a browser, going to the indexing
    site, and starting things off there. In the latter case, the .jnlp
    file is downloaded to may machine and started up automatically.

    The final possibility is DNS poisoning, and the URL above taking you
    not to the Sun server but "somewhere else."

    Cheers!

    jim b.

  3. Re: Firefox Open Java

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:17:55 GMT, Dave Farrance wrote:
    > I wanted to know if the new Open Java plugin for Firefox was installed by
    > default in Mandriva 2009, so I googled on "Java Test", and got:
    >
    > www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
    >
    > It popped up a window containing the prompt:
    >
    > Open Source JNLP Client
    > Netx needs a location for storing cache files:
    > /tmp
    >
    > Now, that's a trustworthy site, so I'm sure that all I needed to do was
    > accept "/tmp", and Java would be working fine, but I always close popup
    > boxes generated by websites on the principle of good security.

    No site can be considered trustworthy any more. All you can do is hope
    the site has not been cracked. Worse is dns cache or browser poisoning.
    Not to mention cross-scripting, Clickjacking exploits.

    A quick "grep java /local/doc/urls | grep test" returns

    http://enigmasand.com/pyro2.html # test java plugin
    http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp # test java virtual machine install
    http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm # test java

    those will run with popups disabled.

  4. Re: Firefox Open Java

    Jim Beard wrote:

    >Another possible problem is with the javaws itself. My understanding
    >is that jnlp is for launch of javaws outside the browser (e.g. from
    >the command line), and since you were using a browser this should not
    >have been invoked. However, it is possible for a jnlp launch to be
    >made from within a browser but then run outside and independently of
    >the browser. I do some indexing, and using javaws on a 32-bit
    >virtual machine I have my choice of running javaws ${program}.jnlp
    >from the command line or launching a browser, going to the indexing
    >site, and starting things off there. In the latter case, the .jnlp
    >file is downloaded to may machine and started up automatically.

    Thanks for the info. It does seem that open java aka icedtea has some
    problems (the i586 version, anyway). I allowed it to use /tmp as a
    cache, and the popup went away permanently. However, although java then
    worked if I went to the java test websites, firefox continued to run as a
    high cpu-loading process in the background after closing the firefox
    window.

    I saw that Sun's Java was in the Mandriva non-free repository, so:

    urpme java-1.6.0-openjdk
    urpmi java-1.6.0-sun-plugin

    That fixed it.

    >The final possibility is DNS poisoning, and the URL above taking you
    >not to the Sun server but "somewhere else."

    I installed the java demos and found that they had the same issue. I was
    then that I accepted the popup's suggestion.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  5. Re: Firefox Open Java

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >A quick "grep java /local/doc/urls | grep test" returns
    >
    >http://enigmasand.com/pyro2.html # test java plugin
    >http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp # test java virtual machine install
    >http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm # test java
    >
    >those will run with popups disabled.

    Thanks, but they caused a popup for me. It seems to have been an issue
    with the i586 version of IcedTea/OpenJava. Fixed by using Sun's Java.

    --
    Dave Farrance

+ Reply to Thread