Mdv2008.1: system crash with a blank cd - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mdv2008.1: system crash with a blank cd - Mandriva ; Today I wanted to burn a cd with k3b but when I inserted the cd the system crashed instantaneously. Some times it reboots but in a couple of times the BIOS gave me the message "CPU unavailable" and I have ...

  1. Mdv2008.1: system crash with a blank cd

    Today I wanted to burn a cd with k3b but when I inserted the cd the
    system crashed instantaneously. Some times it reboots but in a couple of
    times the BIOS gave me the message "CPU unavailable" and I have to enter
    the BIOS setup and change by hand the RAM settings (I have to put CAS/
    Latency times by hand because of different values in the RAM banks).

    This is a new problem, may be due to some upgrade (it was a while I did
    try to burn disks). This is the output of lsscsi:

    [0:0:0:0] cd/dvd HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B A201 /dev/sr0
    [0:0:1:0] cd/dvd LITE-ON DVD SOHD-16P9SV F$01 /dev/sr1
    [1:0:0:0] disk ATA Maxtor 6Y120M0 YAR5 /dev/sda
    [1:0:1:0] disk ATA Hitachi HDP72505 GM4O /dev/sdb

    (the two disk are SATA) on an up-to-dated 2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb system.

    Because of the instant crash I have no information in the logs (or I was
    not able to find it...)

    Any clue?

    Thank you,
    Mauro

    PS For private reply please change tesre.bo.cnr.it with
    iasfbo dot inaf dot it.

  2. Re: Mdv2008.1: system crash with a blank cd [SOLVED]

    Il Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:32:18 +0000, Mauro Orlandini ha scritto:

    > Today I wanted to burn a cd with k3b but when I inserted the cd the
    > system crashed instantaneously. Some times it reboots but in a couple of

    Found the problem: it was a hardware failure in the power supply. When a
    disk was inserted, the power necessary to start to spin the disk
    generated an extra current that blowed everything. Changing the power
    supply almost solved the issue (almost, because now the mobo is dead.
    Probably some capacitor...)

    Time to buy a new computer 8-(

    Mauro

  3. Re: Mdv2008.1: system crash with a blank cd [SOLVED]

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 07:56:41 +0000 (UTC), Mauro Orlandini wrote:

    > Il Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:32:18 +0000, Mauro Orlandini ha scritto:
    >
    >> Today I wanted to burn a cd with k3b but when I inserted the cd the
    >> system crashed instantaneously. Some times it reboots but in a couple of

    > Found the problem: it was a hardware failure in the power supply. When a
    > disk was inserted, the power necessary to start to spin the disk
    > generated an extra current that blowed everything. Changing the power
    > supply almost solved the issue (almost, because now the mobo is dead.
    > Probably some capacitor...)
    >
    > Time to buy a new computer 8-(
    >
    > Mauro

    Just saw your post and just to let you know, I had the exact same problem
    last year.
    A sick supply would cause random lock-ups when I inserted a blank CD into
    the drive to record something on.
    Happened with Windows as well which was my clue.

    I got lucky in that I had no other damage to the system board etc.

    This was an Antec supply as well which is one of the better brands.

    Oh well, live and learn!

    Glad you got to the bottom of it!

+ Reply to Thread