VMware Server compile problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on VMware Server compile problem - Mandriva ; I have successfully recompiled the kernel on 2009.0 following a clean reinstall. Attempts to compile the various perl scripts that accompany vmware server 1.0.6 went OK except for the main one, vmware-config.pl. This failed with the following lines: In file ...

  1. VMware Server compile problem

    I have successfully recompiled the kernel on 2009.0 following a clean
    reinstall. Attempts to compile the various perl scripts that accompany
    vmware server 1.0.6 went OK except for the main one, vmware-config.pl.

    This failed with the following lines:

    In file included from /root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/vmhost.h:13,

    from /root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:116:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27:
    error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    /root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In
    function ‘LinuxDriver_Ioctl’:
    /root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1831: error: too many
    arguments to function ‘smp_call_function’
    make[2]: *** [/root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27-0.rc8.2mnb'
    make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory `/root/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only'
    Unable to build the vmmon module.

    I have tried the latest vmware-any-any patch but that had no effect. Is
    this fixable (with only minor surgery)?

    I did try version 2 but went back to 1.0.6 brcause hitherto that gave little
    or no trouble.

  2. Re: VMware Server compile problem

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 03:23:15 -0400, Alan Secker wrote:

    > error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    > I have tried the latest vmware-any-any patch but that had no effect. Is
    > this fixable (with only minor surgery)?

    After looking a the output of urpmf semaphore.h, and locate, I'd try
    "ln -s /usr/include/semaphore.h /usr/include/asm/".

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: VMware Server compile problem

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 03:23:15 -0400, Alan Secker
    > wrote:
    >
    >> error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    >> I have tried the latest vmware-any-any patch but that had no effect. Is
    >> this fixable (with only minor surgery)?

    > After looking a the output of urpmf semaphore.h, and locate, I'd try
    > "ln -s /usr/include/semaphore.h /usr/include/asm/".
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks but it didn't help. I noticed that a I installed further
    applications, several that were a bit 'iffy' under rc2 were now showing
    considerable promise. So i decided to try version 2.0 again. Lo and behold
    it came up. I have yet to try it with a virtusl machine though .

    Thanks, Alan

+ Reply to Thread