2009.0 Sound problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2009.0 Sound problem - Mandriva ; I have reinstalled 2009.0 from scratch on to an EEE PC901. The sound system though is not working. Kmix shows the the mute checkbox checked but I am unable to uncheck it. The mixer window only shows PCM. I don't ...

  1. 2009.0 Sound problem

    I have reinstalled 2009.0 from scratch on to an EEE PC901. The sound system
    though is not working. Kmix shows the the mute checkbox checked but I am
    unable to uncheck it. The mixer window only shows PCM. I don't knpw if this
    is t be expected on this machine.

    (Off topic, the video in Skype 2.0.0.27 worked without fiddling!)

  2. Re: 2009.0 Sound problem

    Alan Secker wrote:
    > I have reinstalled 2009.0 from scratch on to an EEE PC901. The sound system
    > though is not working. Kmix shows the the mute checkbox checked but I am
    > unable to uncheck it. The mixer window only shows PCM. I don't knpw if this
    > is t be expected on this machine.
    >
    > (Off topic, the video in Skype 2.0.0.27 worked without fiddling!)

    That's an ASUS machine? Not sure why but have you tried alsaconf and amixer?
    That is assuming that the sound configuration applet under mcc doesn't work.

    Thai

  3. Re: 2009.0 Sound problem

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have reinstalled 2009.0 from scratch on to an EEE PC901. The sound
    > system though is not working. Kmix shows the the mute checkbox checked but
    > I am unable to uncheck it. The mixer window only shows PCM. I don't knpw
    > if this is t be expected on this machine.
    >
    > (Off topic, the video in Skype 2.0.0.27 worked without fiddling!)

    To get a 5.1 speaker to work fully, I had to disable pulseaudio (in draksound). See if this helps you.

  4. Re: 2009.0 Sound problem

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:05:21 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > I have reinstalled 2009.0 from scratch on to an EEE PC901. The sound
    > system though is not working. Kmix shows the the mute checkbox checked
    > but I am unable to uncheck it. The mixer window only shows PCM. I don't
    > knpw if this is t be expected on this machine.
    >
    > (Off topic, the video in Skype 2.0.0.27 worked without fiddling!)

    In Konsole try running the command below and see if the application
    starts, try tweaking settings, sound may be muted in Pulse audio's mixer:

    pavucontrol

  5. Re: 2009.0 Sound problem

    Ar wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:05:21 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> I have reinstalled 2009.0 from scratch on to an EEE PC901. The sound
    >> system though is not working. Kmix shows the the mute checkbox checked
    >> but I am unable to uncheck it. The mixer window only shows PCM. I don't
    >> knpw if this is t be expected on this machine.
    >>
    >> (Off topic, the video in Skype 2.0.0.27 worked without fiddling!)

    > In Konsole try running the command below and see if the application
    > starts, try tweaking settings, sound may be muted in Pulse audio's mixer:
    >
    > pavucontrol

    While on-line to another Skype user, I was able to try different options
    from within Skype. One of them worked and it seems to 'cured' the audio for
    other applications.

    Regards, Alan

+ Reply to Thread