Upgrading woes - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Upgrading woes - Mandriva ; I just upgraded to 2009.0 (free), and the experience has been somewhat trying. I installed the system in a fresh partition, even with new home directories in which I simply link my old stuff. But I still have had a ...

  1. Upgrading woes

    I just upgraded to 2009.0 (free), and the experience has been somewhat
    trying. I installed the system in a fresh partition, even with new
    home directories in which I simply link my old stuff. But I still have
    had a lot of trouble. First, I entered KDE (4, I presume), and did a
    lot of configuring ... to find on reentry that everything was lost. I
    was so upset I switched to gnome. Here, the configuration of the
    regular gnome stuff is kept all right, but I am no able to (manually)
    save the session I want! I saw in the ~/.xsession-errors file that the
    trouble was that it is trying to write the file in the non-existing
    directory ~/.config/metacity/sessions: of this, ~/.config existed, but
    not the others. I proceeded to create them, but still I have not
    managed to get my session saved (I have also tried simply to run /usr/
    bin/gnome-session-save, but the --lack of-- result is the same). Do
    not think that I want something out of bounds, I just want some gnome-
    terminals open in different workspaces. If I knew a command line
    option to gnome-terminal that allowed me to open the terminal in a
    given workspace I could just manage via the regular xsession facility,
    but I have not been able to find such option. Does anyone know if this
    exists? (I mean something like "gnome-terminal --workspace=3")

    Secondly, I _hate_ firefox-3. With the cairo (as opposed to xft)
    engine, the visual quality has diminished very noticeably. Also, have
    you tried to print anything? The result makes me wonder whether
    somebody at mozilla has been paid by "the enemy" to worsen the
    product! Maybe I am missing some configuration options to improve the
    quality of cairo, but I doubt it. I think cairo is simply not up to
    the task yet (though I have every confidence that with time it will
    become something great). I recompiled firefox-2.0.0.17 from the 2008.1
    sources, though it took me some googling to get a patch that is
    necessary for it to work with the new glibc. Now I am also using (and
    liking) epiphany.

    Well, those are my thoughts and experiences.
    Thanks for any toughts/suggestions.
    Gual

  2. Re: Upgrading woes

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:00:43 -0700 (PDT), gualnews@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just upgraded to 2009.0 (free), and the experience has been somewhat
    > trying. I installed the system in a fresh partition, even with new
    > home directories in which I simply link my old stuff. But I still have
    > had a lot of trouble. First, I entered KDE (4, I presume), and did a
    > lot of configuring ... to find on reentry that everything was lost.

    Hmmm, you might try creating a test account, say, junk.

    log into junk and see if you still have the KDE problems.
    I was able to save all my desktop configuration changes.

    > I was so upset I switched to gnome.

    Yep I gave up and installed task-kde3 to get rid of the kde4 problems.
    I do have to run kcontrol to get the settings to stick after changes.
    Since I have to enter startx to get a gui desktop I had to do a
    echo DESKTOP=KDE > .desktop
    so kde3 comes up.

    > Do
    > not think that I want something out of bounds, I just want some gnome-
    > terminals open in different workspaces. If I knew a command line
    > option to gnome-terminal that allowed me to open the terminal in a
    > given workspace I could just manage via the regular xsession facility,
    > but I have not been able to find such option. Does anyone know if this
    > exists? (I mean something like "gnome-terminal --workspace=3")

    Yes, I have scripts to open apps in different workspaces and none of
    those work since dbus is not part of KDE4.

    > Secondly, I _hate_ firefox-3. the visual quality has diminished very
    > noticeably.

    I install fox 3.0.3 tar ball from mozilla.org. Looks the same to me
    regardless of distribution or release.

  3. Re: Upgrading woes

    On Oct 14, 4:46 pm, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:00:43 -0700 (PDT), gualn...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I just upgraded to 2009.0 (free), and the experience has been somewhat
    > > trying. I installed the system in a fresh partition, even with new
    > > home directories in which I simply link my old stuff. But I still have
    > > had a lot of trouble. First, I entered KDE (4, I presume), and did a
    > > lot of configuring ... to find on reentry that everything was lost.

    > Hmmm, you might try creating a test account, say, junk.
    >
    > log into junk and see if you still have the KDE problems.
    > I was able to save all my desktop configuration changes.
    >
    > > I was so upset I switched to gnome.

    > Yep I gave up and installed task-kde3 to get rid of the kde4 problems.
    > I do have to run kcontrol to get the settings to stick after changes.
    > Since I have to enter startx to get a gui desktop I had to do a
    > echo DESKTOP=KDE > .desktop
    > so kde3 comes up.

    Thanks for the tips.

    > > Do
    > > not think that I want something out of bounds, I just want some gnome-
    > > terminals open in different workspaces. If I knew a command line
    > > option to gnome-terminal that allowed me to open the terminal in a
    > > given workspace I could just manage via the regular xsession facility,
    > > but I have not been able to find such option. Does anyone know if this
    > > exists? (I mean something like "gnome-terminal --workspace=3")

    > Yes, I have scripts to open apps in different workspaces and none of
    > those work since dbus is not part of KDE4.
    >
    > > Secondly, I _hate_ firefox-3. the visual quality has diminished very
    > > noticeably.

    > I install fox 3.0.3 tar ball from mozilla.org. Looks the same to me
    > regardless of distribution or release.

    A piece of advice: get firefox-2.0.0.17 from mozilla.org, and set your
    hinting style to "hintmedium" in ~/.fonts.conf (or via your wm
    settings).
    Then compare the visual quality. Long ago I found out that setting the
    hinting to full actually degrades visual quality, at least from my
    humble
    viewpoint. Once you do that, maybe you'll not want to use firefox-3.
    Actually, I went to the trouble of recompiling "epiphany" (the gnome
    browser) using firefox-2 rather than firefox-3.

    Best regards,
    Gual

  4. Re: Upgrading woes

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:17:36 -0700 (PDT), gualnews@gmail.com wrote:

    > A piece of advice: get firefox-2.0.0.17 from mozilla.org, and set your
    > hinting style to "hintmedium" in ~/.fonts.conf (or via your wm
    > settings).
    > Then compare the visual quality. Long ago I found out that setting the
    > hinting to full actually degrades visual quality, at least from my
    > humble
    > viewpoint. Once you do that, maybe you'll not want to use firefox-3.

    I would not care to run older versions missing security
    updates/fixes.

  5. Re: Upgrading woes

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:54:50 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:17:36 -0700 (PDT), gualnews@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> A piece of advice: get firefox-2.0.0.17 from mozilla.org, and set your
    >> hinting style to "hintmedium" in ~/.fonts.conf (or via your wm
    >> settings).
    >> Then compare the visual quality. Long ago I found out that setting the
    >> hinting to full actually degrades visual quality, at least from my
    >> humble
    >> viewpoint. Once you do that, maybe you'll not want to use firefox-3.

    > I would not care to run older versions missing security updates/fixes.

    Firefox 2 is still getting security updates.

+ Reply to Thread