Adding a Partition - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Adding a Partition - Mandriva ; So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a few years. So... I have three partitions on my HD. / /home swap /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes nice ...

  1. Adding a Partition

    /
    /home
    swap

    /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    nice big files ).

    Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's capacity.

    Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current partitions
    (including the data already in that photos subdir? And continue to access
    /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that it will be larger?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  2. Re: Adding a Partition

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a
    > few years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    > nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    > capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    > partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir? And
    > continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that
    > it will be larger?

    Hi Blinky,

    Quicker way without faffing about with partioning.

    1) Create /Blinky_Photos sub-directory off the root directory.
    2) Set RWX permissions to Blinky.
    3) symlink it to a subdirectory in your home folder.

    Regards
    Gordon

  3. Re: Adding a Partition

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a few
    > years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    > nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current partitions
    > (including the data already in that photos subdir? And continue to access
    > /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that it will be larger?

    Not as you defined it.

    My suggestion,
    as root do the create, format, mount partition /pics
    chown blinky:blinky /pics

    as blinky
    cd /home/blinky/

    Copy blinky's photo directory into /pics with
    rsync -aAv photos/ /pics

    ls /pics/*

    if good,
    mv photos_old
    ln -s /pics photos

    ls /home/blinky/photos

    if good, you can
    /bin/rm -r /home/blinky/photos_old
    to delete blinky's photos in /home/blinky

  4. Re: Adding a Partition

    On Tuesday 14 October 2008 22:12, someone identifying as *Blinky the Shark*
    wrote in /alt.os.linux.mandriva:/

    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a few
    > years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    > nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current partitions
    > (including the data already in that photos subdir? And continue to access
    > /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that it will be larger?

    If you mount a new filesystem to a directory and the directory contains
    data, this data will become invisible for as long as the filesystem is
    mounted to the directory in question.

    However, if you happen to be using logical volumes, then it would be easier
    to extend a logical volume without dataloss. But I'm assuming that's not
    the case for your set-up.

    The best advice I can give you without causing you too much trouble is to
    create a new partition, mount it at a temporary location - e.g. */mnt* -
    move the contents of the pertaining directory - e.g. */home/blinky/photos*
    - to this temporary mountpoint - i.e. */mnt* - and then unmount */mnt* and
    remount the filesystem to */home/blinky/photos.*

    Also make sure that you create the required record in */etc/fstab* for this
    new filesystem, so that it gets mounted at boot time.

    Hope this helps... ;-)

    --
    *Aragorn*
    (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

  5. Re: Adding a Partition

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a few
    > years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    > nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current partitions
    > (including the data already in that photos subdir? And continue to access
    > /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that it will be larger?

    You can make your current /home partition bigger using the GUI offered in
    mcc.

    From 'manage disk partition', create and format the new /home partition the
    size you want it. (you will also get a remainder about backing up your data
    which is sound advice, repartitioning or not)

    Mount it at /home.

    You will now get a prompt saying something like 'partition /home already
    contains data. Do you want to 'hide' it or copy it to the new partition?'

    You pick copy.

    When this is done your fstab will be rewritten automatically.
    Your new and bigger /home is now ready for use, looking just like before.

  6. Re: Adding a Partition

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >> So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with
    >> partitioning in a few years. So...
    >>
    >> I have three partitions on my HD.
    >>
    >> /
    >> /home
    >> swap
    >>
    >> /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera
    >> that makes nice big files ).
    >>
    >> Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    >> capacity.
    >>
    >> Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    >> /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    >> partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir?
    >> And continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been
    >> doing, except that it will be larger?

    > Not as you defined it.
    >
    > My suggestion,
    > as root do the create, format, mount partition /pics
    > chown blinky:blinky /pics
    >
    > as blinky
    > cd /home/blinky/
    >
    > Copy blinky's photo directory into /pics with
    > rsync -aAv photos/ /pics
    >
    > ls /pics/*
    >
    > if good,
    > mv photos_old
    > ln -s /pics photos
    >
    > ls /home/blinky/photos
    >
    > if good, you can
    > /bin/rm -r /home/blinky/photos_old
    > to delete blinky's photos in /home/blinky

    I want all photos in /home/blinky/photos/...

    Can't be done?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  7. Re: Adding a Partition

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning
    > in a few years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera
    > that makes nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    > capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    > partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir?
    > And continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing,
    > except that it will be larger?

    Blanket thank-you to all who chipped in with suggestions!

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  8. Re: Adding a Partition

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a
    > few years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    > nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    > capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    > partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir? And
    > continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that
    > it will be larger?

    I was running into the same problem so after a bit head scratching bought
    a USB hard drive (500 gb) reformatted it to reiser and transferred a lot
    of the older pics onto it.

    --
    Neil
    reverse ra and delete l

  9. Re: Adding a Partition

    On 15 Oct 2008 08:03:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with
    >>> partitioning in a few years. So...
    >>>
    >>> I have three partitions on my HD.
    >>>
    >>> /
    >>> /home
    >>> swap
    >>>
    >>> /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera
    >>> that makes nice big files ).
    >>>
    >>> Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    >>> capacity.
    >>>
    >>> Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    >>> /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    >>> partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir?
    >>> And continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been
    >>> doing, except that it will be larger?

    >> Not as you defined it.
    >>
    >> My suggestion,
    >> as root do the create, format, mount partition /pics
    >> chown blinky:blinky /pics
    >>
    >> as blinky
    >> cd /home/blinky/
    >>
    >> Copy blinky's photo directory into /pics with
    >> rsync -aAv photos/ /pics
    >>
    >> ls /pics/*
    >>
    >> if good,
    >> mv photos_old
    >> ln -s /pics photos
    >>
    >> ls /home/blinky/photos
    >>
    >> if good, you can
    >> /bin/rm -r /home/blinky/photos_old
    >> to delete blinky's photos in /home/blinky

    > I want all photos in /home/blinky/photos/...
    >
    > Can't be done?

    Only other solution, is re-size /home or move /home to a bigger partition.

    Put your thinking hat on Blinky. You tell us /home is going full.

    You have space somewhere else. OK. Put all photos in the other space.
    Link /home/blinky/photos/ to other space.

    If done correctly, see above steps,
    ls /home/blinky/photos/* and your will have/see all photos will be under
    /home/blinky/photos/, but physically in the other partition.

    I do the same thing for all my canned instructions I post or stuff I
    have/want saved in /account/txt/

    In /home/bittwister I have
    $ ls -ald /home/bittwister/txt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister 14 2008-05-24 22:06 txt -> /accounts/txt/

    All the txt files are in $HOME/txt or ~/txt or /home/bittwister/txt as
    far as I can see them but are physically over in the /accounts partition.

  10. Re: Adding a Partition

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > I want all photos in /home/blinky/photos/...
    >
    > Can't be done?

    Probably not the best way, but it'll work:

    1) Copy existing photos to some other directory or to DVDs.
    2) Remove photo directory, create new photo directory by following
    everyone else's suggestions.
    3) Copy photos back from other directory or DVDs into new photo directory.

    Adam

  11. Re: Adding a Partition

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with
    >> partitioning in a few years. So...
    >>
    >> I have three partitions on my HD.
    >>
    >> /
    >> /home
    >> swap
    >>
    >> /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera
    >> that makes nice big files ).
    >>
    >> Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    >> capacity.
    >>
    >> Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    >> /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    >> partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir?
    >> And continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been
    >> doing, except that it will be larger?

    > I was running into the same problem so after a bit head
    > scratching bought a USB hard drive (500 gb) reformatted it to
    > reiser and transferred a lot of the older pics onto it.

    I have an external HD. I do not want to use it for this purpose;
    thus my question. Thank you, though.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  12. Re: Adding a Partition

    Blinky the Shark writes:

    >Neil Ellwood wrote:

    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:12:45 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with
    >>> partitioning in a few years. So...
    >>>
    >>> I have three partitions on my HD.
    >>>
    >>> /
    >>> /home
    >>> swap
    >>>
    >>> /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera
    >>> that makes nice big files ).
    >>>
    >>> Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's
    >>> capacity.
    >>>
    >>> Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    >>> /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current
    >>> partitions (including the data already in that photos subdir?
    >>> And continue to access /home/blinky/photos as I have been
    >>> doing, except that it will be larger?

    Yes, but if you mount it on /home /blinky/photos you will loose access to
    waht is already there. So either make a new directory to put the new
    partition onto or copy the current contents of photos to the new partition.

    If you mount over, your old pictures will still be there when you unmount
    the new partition.

    >> I was running into the same problem so after a bit head
    >> scratching bought a USB hard drive (500 gb) reformatted it to
    >> reiser and transferred a lot of the older pics onto it.

    >I have an external HD. I do not want to use it for this purpose;
    >thus my question. Thank you, though.

    >--
    >Blinky
    >Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    >Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

  13. Re: Adding a Partition

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > So, I seem to be getting rusty. Haven't dealt with partitioning in a few
    > years. So...
    >
    > I have three partitions on my HD.
    >
    > /
    > /home
    > swap
    >
    > /home's getting kinda full (mostly since I got a DSLR camera that makes
    > nice big files ).
    >
    > Those three partitions account for less than half of my drive's capacity.
    >
    > Can I partition another hunk o' drive and mount it at, say,
    > /home/blinky/photos without this farking around with my current partitions
    > (including the data already in that photos subdir? And continue to access
    > /home/blinky/photos as I have been doing, except that it will be larger?

    I'd pick up a USB drive, rsync it with /home/blinky/photos... then mount
    it to /home/blinky/pics... when your content it is working well for you,
    delete everything in home/blinky/photos, then use that as your USB
    drive mount point...

    Luis

+ Reply to Thread