2009.0 + KDE4 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2009.0 + KDE4 - Mandriva ; So, I've had a little while to play and I'm not massively impressed. Even after configuring to log into my user automatically on boot, I still get the log-in screen every time. Also, I don't use the beagle thing in ...

  1. 2009.0 + KDE4

    So, I've had a little while to play and I'm not massively impressed.

    Even after configuring to log into my user automatically on boot, I
    still get the log-in screen every time.

    Also, I don't use the beagle thing in the taskbar, so I told it to quit.
    It asked me if it should start automatically on boot and I said no. It
    still loads every time.

    And while I know that some people say that "good enough is the enemy of
    better", KDE3.whatever just worked, and worked well. IMHO, KDE4 firstly
    wasn't necessary, and secondly isn't ready for release. I'm very much a
    believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and on that basis I'll
    probably be switching back to 2008.x fairly soon.

  2. Re: 2009.0 + KDE4

    Keith wrote:

    > So, I've had a little while to play and I'm not massively impressed.
    >
    > Even after configuring to log into my user automatically on boot, I
    > still get the log-in screen every time.
    >
    > Also, I don't use the beagle thing in the taskbar, so I told it to quit.
    > It asked me if it should start automatically on boot and I said no. *It
    > still loads every time.
    >
    > And while I know that some people say that "good enough is the enemy of
    > better", KDE3.whatever just worked, and worked well. *IMHO, KDE4 firstly
    > wasn't necessary, and secondly isn't ready for release. *I'm very much a
    > believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and on that basis I'll
    > probably be switching back to 2008.x fairly soon.

    I agree 4.x isn't ready, but instead of going all the way back to 2008.1
    you could like me just install and use KDE 3.5.9-10 from current 2009
    repositories because its still included and ready to go, and although
    they say next 2009.1 KDE 3.5.x will not be included that forcast may
    change by next release time.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  3. Re: 2009.0 + KDE4

    Keith wrote:

    > So, I've had a little while to play and I'm not massively impressed.
    >
    > Even after configuring to log into my user automatically on boot, I
    > still get the log-in screen every time.
    >
    > Also, I don't use the beagle thing in the taskbar, so I told it to quit.
    > It asked me if it should start automatically on boot and I said no. *It
    > still loads every time.
    >
    > And while I know that some people say that "good enough is the enemy of
    > better", KDE3.whatever just worked, and worked well. *IMHO, KDE4 firstly
    > wasn't necessary, and secondly isn't ready for release. *I'm very much a
    > believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and on that basis I'll
    > probably be switching back to 2008.x fairly soon.

    BTW OpenSuse 11.0 uses KDE4.x as default KDE install, and they also
    include KDE 3.5.9-10 in the repo's, and guess what...the people are
    complaining the same as people here about KDE4.x
    But I did the same with it, that is I went back to KDE3.5.9-10 with a
    OpenSuse 11.0 install on another PC.

    I don't know what the hurry is with KDE, but the OpenSuse 11.0 release
    with KDE4 they are also saying the next release will not include any
    KDE3.5.x

    I've been using and liking Gnome 2.24 some more, too.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  4. Re: 2009.0 + KDE4

    Patrick Phillips wrote:
    > Keith wrote:
    >
    >> And while I know that some people say that "good enough is the enemy of
    >> better", KDE3.whatever just worked, and worked well. IMHO, KDE4 firstly
    >> wasn't necessary, and secondly isn't ready for release. I'm very much a
    >> believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and on that basis I'll
    >> probably be switching back to 2008.x fairly soon.

    > I agree 4.x isn't ready, but instead of going all the way back to 2008.1
    > you could like me just install and use KDE 3.5.9-10 from current 2009
    > repositories because its still included and ready to go, and although
    > they say next 2009.1 KDE 3.5.x will not be included that forcast may
    > change by next release time.

    After reading what others have been saying, this is what I've done, as
    described else-thread. I actually did a fresh install of 2009.0,
    retaining my /home partition, then installed task-kde3, then set to
    start in KDE rather than KDE4.

    All my settings are still preserved, and I have the GUI I am used to.
    Just a couple of apps to reinstall and I'm up and running again.

    Thanks to all.

    And if there's a poll forum somewhere where I can my vote to retain KDE3
    until KDE4 is ready for the big time, I'd like to hear about it.

  5. Re: 2009.0 + KDE4

    Keith wrote:

    > And if there's a poll forum somewhere where I can my vote to retain KDE3
    > until KDE4 is ready for the big time, I'd like to hear about it.

    You and me too, as well as others no doubt.
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  6. Re: 2009.0 + KDE4

    Keith wrote:

    >So, I've had a little while to play and I'm not massively impressed.

    Neither am I. I was determined to give it a chance, not wanting to be a
    luddite stuck to the old ways, but I don't like the way that it seems to
    be taking control away from the user and giving it to the developer
    instead.

    I liked having separate controls that could tweak a whole bunch of
    settings for the desktop background, the icon positioning and icon text,
    and the taskbar size and behaviour. I'd only need to tweak a few of the
    controls that were particularly useful to me. But now those controls
    have gone, and it's all bundled into this Plasma Workspace, and you have
    to choose from a bunch of developer-provided themes that change the whole
    lot all at once, and none of then get every aspect the way that I want.
    For example, if you have a dark wallpaper, then the only way to get white
    icon-text is to choose a scheme that happens to have it, and then you're
    expected to like a big black taskbar.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  7. Re: 2009.0 + KDE4

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:37:30 GMT
    Dave Farrance wrote:

    > Neither am I. I was determined to give it a chance, not wanting to
    > be a luddite stuck to the old ways, but I don't like the way that
    > it seems to be taking control away from the user and giving it to
    > the developer instead.
    >
    > I liked having separate controls that could tweak a whole bunch of
    > settings for the desktop background, the icon positioning and icon
    > text, and the taskbar size and behaviour. I'd only need to tweak a
    > few of the controls that were particularly useful to me. But now
    > those controls have gone, and it's all bundled into this Plasma
    > Workspace, and you have to choose from a bunch of
    > developer-provided themes that change the whole lot all at once,
    > and none of then get every aspect the way that I want. For example,
    > if you have a dark wallpaper, then the only way to get white
    > icon-text is to choose a scheme that happens to have it, and then
    > you're expected to like a big black taskbar.

    I'm learning to like Gnome 2.24, Gnome is getting better version by
    version.

    OpenSuse 11.0 and 11.1 beta's also default to KDE4.x and include
    access to KDE3.5.9-10 but only this last time same as Mandriva, I
    think Kubuntu also is defaulting to KDE4 and like the others going
    forward after this last version no more KDE3, its being killed off
    by KDE project and they are in a hurry for some reason? I think they
    will loose KDE users this way by forcing KDE4 upon us, like I said
    I'm beginning to like Gnome :-)

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*