2009.0 problems and more problems - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2009.0 problems and more problems - Mandriva ; Looks like Mandriva 2009 came to soon: --no koffice (and i don't like openoffice), and it won't configure koffice source saying cpp is insane --gspca module for webcams does not compile with this kernel version or gcc version (i don't ...

  1. 2009.0 problems and more problems

    Looks like Mandriva 2009 came to soon:

    --no koffice (and i don't like openoffice), and it won't configure koffice
    source saying cpp is insane

    --gspca module for webcams does not compile with this kernel version or gcc
    version (i don't know each one is, but it says there are syntax errors).
    gspca module is old now (20071224) and maybe this is the module fault.
    (gspca compiles fine in mandriva 2008.1)

    --kicker (kde 3.5.9) crashes a lot, while kicker in kde 3.5.9 on debian
    didn't crash once.

    --trying kde 4.1.2 was a bigger desaster then kde 3.5.9
    kde4 will be a great desktop once it is completed, but for now is just very
    pretty to look at it.
    some apps from kde4 runs ok in kde3, but apps from kde3 don't run fine
    within kde4.
    lots of things is still missing in kde4 including access to some
    configurations... why did they put a section to configure kdm in kcontrol
    when they did not put the "administration mode" button in there? do we have
    to start kcontrol as root? root is not supose to even have a ~/.kde4

    --kpowersave use to "suspend to disk" fine in this laptop with mandriva 2007
    and 2007.1, but now is not working fine, resume doesn't resume nothing,
    just a blank screen.

    this is the 1st time i've installed a new mandriva version and felt like i
    can't use it...
    maybe 2009.1 in spring will be better, but this one is unusable.
    i didn't try to install everything i use to install, so i don't know if more
    desapointments wore to came.

    now, i need my laptop working and it looks like it will gona be with 2008.1

    regards
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    > this is the 1st time i've installed a new mandriva version and felt like i
    > can't use it...
    > maybe 2009.1 in spring will be better, but this one is unusable.
    > i didn't try to install everything i use to install, so i don't know if more
    > desapointments wore to came.
    >
    > now, i need my laptop working and it looks like it will gona be with 2008.1

    the last few lines spoke for me. ditto same sentiments here.

  3. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    >Looks like Mandriva 2009 came to soon:
    >
    >--no koffice (and i don't like openoffice), and it won't configure koffice
    >source saying cpp is insane
    >
    >--gspca module for webcams does not compile with this kernel version or gcc
    >version (i don't know each one is, but it says there are syntax errors).
    >gspca module is old now (20071224) and maybe this is the module fault.
    >(gspca compiles fine in mandriva 2008.1)
    >
    >--kicker (kde 3.5.9) crashes a lot, while kicker in kde 3.5.9 on debian
    >didn't crash once.
    >
    >--trying kde 4.1.2 was a bigger desaster then kde 3.5.9
    >kde4 will be a great desktop once it is completed, but for now is just very
    >pretty to look at it.
    >some apps from kde4 runs ok in kde3, but apps from kde3 don't run fine
    >within kde4.
    >lots of things is still missing in kde4 including access to some
    >configurations... why did they put a section to configure kdm in kcontrol
    >when they did not put the "administration mode" button in there? do we have
    >to start kcontrol as root? root is not supose to even have a ~/.kde4
    >
    >--kpowersave use to "suspend to disk" fine in this laptop with mandriva 2007
    >and 2007.1, but now is not working fine, resume doesn't resume nothing,
    >just a blank screen.
    >
    >this is the 1st time i've installed a new mandriva version and felt like i
    >can't use it...
    >maybe 2009.1 in spring will be better, but this one is unusable.
    >i didn't try to install everything i use to install, so i don't know if more
    >desapointments wore to came.
    >
    >now, i need my laptop working and it looks like it will gona be with 2008.1

    But but... now you can spin the icons around!

    --
    Dave Farrance

  4. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    Em Terça, 14 de Outubro de 2008 21:07, Dave Farrance escreveu:

    > But but... now you can spin the icons around!

    yeah
    spin them, put them with diferent sizes each...
    have almost all the compiz efects without compiz...

    but there are some backsteps:
    -can't use a diferent wallpaper on each virtual desktop anymore.
    -can't put a new bar in vertical position on the right/left side of the
    screen, just top or bottom.
    -can't have files on the desktop, just links to files

    i also notice that the new manager for removable devices don't work as well
    as the old one.

    kde4 will require users a few hours of adaptation.

    regards

  5. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:47:33 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Looks like Mandriva 2009 came to soon:

    I sympathise with this sentiment. If the problem of the Mandriva One CD
    hanging so you can't even check it out is not fixed before final, then
    you'd always wonder what else was broke and not fixed.

    2009.0 is the first version I will not be rushing to install / update
    previous Mandriva install.

    I'd really like to like KDE4, but I still feel it's being pushed as one
    long beta test rather than fully featured and working like KDE3 is.

  6. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:24:23 +0000, Ar wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:47:33 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like Mandriva 2009 came to soon:

    > I sympathise with this sentiment.

    I'd like to say "Me too" here.

    I did try to like KDE4, but after a few days of trying to get the feel of
    it, and after several crash handler pop-ups I decided to get rid of 4 and
    install 3.
    Didn't work quite how I would have liked, I can't get the machine to load
    the GUI without startx- ing it, even though it is set to boot the GUI at
    boot. No big deal as it's just a laptop I use for trying things out, not
    a main machine. I am glad I didn't install it on one of the main PCs
    though.

    The thing I missed most about KDE4 was being unable to add applications
    to the taskbar, why? What's wrong with an icon for terminal and firefox
    and pan on the taskbar?

  7. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:43:34 -0400, Artful Codger wrote:

    > The thing I missed most about KDE4 was being unable to add applications
    > to the taskbar, why? What's wrong with an icon for terminal and firefox
    > and pan on the taskbar?

    In kde4, you have to use the new menu, then find the application, and right click
    on it (in the menu), to add it to the taskbar.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  8. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:12:45 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:43:34 -0400, Artful Codger wrote:
    >
    >> The thing I missed most about KDE4 was being unable to add applications
    >> to the taskbar, why? What's wrong with an icon for terminal and firefox
    >> and pan on the taskbar?

    > In kde4, you have to use the new menu, then find the application, and
    > right click on it (in the menu), to add it to the taskbar.

    Thanks Dave, Beggared if I could find out how to do it.
    Don't suppose you know how to launch the plasma thingy on the desktop
    after I closed it I can't seem to reload it.

    --
    Regards, Codger

  9. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:52:56 -0500, Artful Codger wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:12:45 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >
    >> In kde4, you have to use the new menu, then find the application, and
    >> right click on it (in the menu), to add it to the taskbar.

    Just tried that but when I right click the app (konsole) it launches as
    though I left clicked it. Tried it with the kicker type menu and the
    other, not sure of the name. Combined with the fact the screen just turns
    white and doesn't respond I think the problem is deeper than just setting
    up the desktop.
    BTW, just for reference I installed the 64bit Powerpack from DVD (MD5
    tested and data verified) onto an Acer Aspire 3053WXMi laptop. Adding
    KDE3.5 using urpmi task-kde3 went without problem and makes the machine
    usable again.

  10. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    Artful Codger wrote:

    >Thanks Dave, Beggared if I could find out how to do it.
    >Don't suppose you know how to launch the plasma thingy on the desktop
    >after I closed it I can't seem to reload it.

    The desktop folder?

    Rt-click desktop -> Add widgets -> Folder view -> Add widget

    Rt-click folder -> Folder view settings -> Show the desktop folder -> OK

    --
    Dave Farrance

  11. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:04 -0400, Artful Codger wrote:

    > Just tried that but when I right click the app (konsole) it launches as
    > though I left clicked it. Tried it with the kicker type menu and the

    With the mouse cursor on the menu entry, press the right mouse button, but don't
    release it till you've moved the mouse cursor to the "add to panel" option.

    Treating the release of a mouse button as a left click, started with kde
    3.5.9, but seems to apply to more cases in kde4.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:14:10 +0000, Dave Farrance wrote:

    > The desktop folder?
    > Rt-click desktop -> Add widgets -> Folder view -> Add widget
    > Rt-click folder -> Folder view settings -> Show the desktop folder -> OK

    Thank you Dave
    Done.

    --
    Regards, Codger

  13. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:12:45 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    >> The thing I missed most about KDE4 was being unable to add applications
    >> to the taskbar, why? What's wrong with an icon for terminal and firefox
    >> and pan on the taskbar?

    > In kde4, you have to use the new menu, then find the application, and
    > right click on it (in the menu), to add it to the taskbar.

    That sounds SO much easier than KDE3.

  14. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:43:34 -0500, Artful Codger wrote:

    > I did try to like KDE4, but after a few days of trying to get the feel of
    > it, and after several crash handler pop-ups I decided to get rid of 4 and
    > install 3.

    Same here, but how does one get rid of KDE4 before doing the

    urpmi task-kde3
    ?
    --
    /\/\aurice
    (Trying Mandriva 2009.0 from the 'One/Live' CD.)

  15. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:12:45 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > In kde4, you have to use the new menu, then find the application, and
    > right click on it (in the menu), to add it to the taskbar.

    Trying 2009.0 'One/Live' CD installation, that didn't work - it
    just executed the application.

    The only way I could get an icon onto the desktop was to left-mouse
    drag it (as in WinXP).

    (Why is there a subset of the overall desktop superimposed on the
    screen, and labelled 'Desktop'?)
    --
    /\/\aurice

  16. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:40:58 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > The only way I could get an icon onto the desktop was to left-mouse
    > drag it (as in WinXP).
    >
    > (Why is there a subset of the overall desktop superimposed on the
    > screen, and labelled 'Desktop'?)

    That is a Folder View of Desktop. That is where I create my shortcuts,
    then left-drag to desktop to work like shortcuts did in KDE3

    You may want to watch these
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9St0P...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhODrJkoidA

  17. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:57:27 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > That is a Folder View of Desktop. That is where I create my shortcuts,
    > then left-drag to desktop to work like shortcuts did in KDE3

    OIC. But why is a 'folder view' needed? Can it just be removed?
    What's wrong with putting them straight onto the desktop as before?

    > You may want to watch these
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9St0P...eature=related
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhODrJkoidA

    Thanks - I did, but the first was mumbled with a fuzzy picture -
    impossible to follow what he was talking about (or why).
    No sound with the 2nd.

    Too many new words and fuzzy concepts have been thrown in
    for my liking.
    I'm OK to try something new, but not at the same time losing
    previous function or simplicity.

    --
    /\/\aurice

  18. Re: 2009.0 problems and more problems

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:34:03 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > OIC. But why is a 'folder view' needed? Can it just be removed?

    Yes.

    > What's wrong with putting them straight onto the desktop as before?

    I could not say. Probably tied to the D-bus communication protocol.

    >> You may want to watch these
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9St0P...eature=related
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhODrJkoidA

    > Thanks - I did, but the first was mumbled with a fuzzy picture -
    > impossible to follow what he was talking about (or why).

    Agree focus could be better and I could understand what was said.
    He was showing how to create shortcuts for known applications.

    > No sound with the 2nd.

    True, but showed how to create a shortcut in a new Activity screen.

    > Too many new words and fuzzy concepts have been thrown in
    > for my liking.

    I can commiserate with that.

    > I'm OK to try something new, but not at the same time losing
    > previous function or simplicity.

    True here also, but I bit the bullet, created shortcuts in the Desktop
    Folder View, left click-drag to desktop and shortcut works as before.
    Re-sized Desktop Folder View and went back to normal usability.

    I can now create Activity desktops CTL+Shift p/n to go previous/next
    activity screen.

    When they get the "at" bugfix released, I'll be able to stay on 2009.x

+ Reply to Thread