giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One - Mandriva

This is a discussion on giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One - Mandriva ; Hello, after booting from the one CD,a giant checkbox appears asking me ok or cancel, but i don't know for what. The font size seems to be around 150pts or so ;-) Neither klicking ok nor cancel will finish booting ...

  1. giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One

    Hello,
    after booting from the one CD,a giant checkbox appears asking me ok or
    cancel, but i don't know for what. The font size seems to be around
    150pts or so ;-)
    Neither klicking ok nor cancel will finish booting on my system.
    When I boot from One, this is a clean boot i think. Or does 2009 use my
    data on hardrive during booting?
    Actually this is a dualboot system (XP and 2008 spring).
    It's an athlon XP2400 with 768mb RAM and an ATI Radeaon 9250, should work!
    Might it be a Problem, that one of the NTFS Partitions is almost
    full(99,99%)?

    greetings,
    Stefan

  2. Re: giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One

    Stefan Blumenrath wrote:
    > Might it be a Problem, that one of the NTFS Partitions is almost
    > full(99,99%)?

    Anything above 85 percent full on a partition is begging
    for problems, and above 95 percent you have a problem.

    There is a little bit of housekeeping done on a file system
    as a matter of routine, and that cannot be done when there
    is no room for copying (slightly) modified files or directory
    lists to a new location.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Stefan Blumenrath wrote:
    >> Might it be a Problem, that one of the NTFS Partitions is almost
    >> full(99,99%)?

    > Anything above 85 percent full on a partition is begging
    > for problems, and above 95 percent you have a problem.
    >
    > There is a little bit of housekeeping done on a file system
    > as a matter of routine, and that cannot be done when there
    > is no room for copying (slightly) modified files or directory
    > lists to a new location.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Just out of interest, Jim, there is a message in the bootup
    sequence "Checking that partitions have enough free space." (Stefan, you
    can watch that by pressing during bootup.) That was how I knew that
    my backups were going to /media/ on my / partition, instead of to the drive
    on /media/backup. Suddenly I would get messages that routine operations
    couldn't write to the partition. What is its alarm level? It quotes
    minimum free space in bytes or kB, not a percentage.

    And why does it worry about an NTFS partition? Is it worth taking that out
    of the checkup (setting the digits in /etc/fstab to 0 0 )? "Let the users
    of the dead bury their dead."

    Doug.
    --
    I live one day at a time, but I'm 3 weeks behind.
    And what I am thinking doesn't seem to come through my fingers.

  4. Re: giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Stefan Blumenrath wrote:
    >>> Might it be a Problem, that one of the NTFS Partitions is almost
    >>> full(99,99%)?

    >> Anything above 85 percent full on a partition is begging
    >> for problems, and above 95 percent you have a problem.
    >>
    >> There is a little bit of housekeeping done on a file system
    >> as a matter of routine, and that cannot be done when there
    >> is no room for copying (slightly) modified files or directory
    >> lists to a new location.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > Just out of interest, Jim, there is a message in the bootup
    > sequence "Checking that partitions have enough free space."

    You must have partition monitor running. In mcc, under system, services.

    > (Stefan, you
    > can watch that by pressing during bootup.) That was how I knew that
    > my backups were going to /media/ on my / partition, instead of to the drive
    > on /media/backup. Suddenly I would get messages that routine operations
    > couldn't write to the partition. What is its alarm level? It quotes
    > minimum free space in bytes or kB, not a percentage.

    I know nothing about partition monitor's alarm levels.

    > And why does it worry about an NTFS partition? Is it worth taking that out
    > of the checkup (setting the digits in /etc/fstab to 0 0 )? "Let the users
    > of the dead bury their dead."

    The default for Mandriva these days is to mount NTFS partitions
    read-write (used to be read-only by default, when the driver was
    buggy), and if it is writable it makes sense for the OS to check it.

    Your choice on what to do. If I run out of disk space, I will have
    a rationale to buy an external hard drive, so until then my only
    problem is allocation of space among the partitions, which has yet
    to encounter a problem (except for music, which I moved from a 40 GB
    partition to an 80 GB partition. 58 percent in use.)

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  5. Re: giant checkbox after bootin 2009.0 One

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Stefan Blumenrath wrote:
    >> Might it be a Problem, that one of the NTFS Partitions is almost
    >> full(99,99%)?

    > Anything above 85 percent full on a partition is begging
    > for problems, and above 95 percent you have a problem.

    I don't understand why /this/ can cause /my problem/, but, as it is
    necessary anyway, i'm going to grade up today :-)
    I will report.
    Any other suggestions still welcome!

    stefan

+ Reply to Thread