Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade - Mandriva ; I've had a look through the errata and couldn't see this mentioned, so... I was running 2008.1 Free, originally installed from the DVD image. mdkapplet prompted me to upgrade to 2009.0. This failed due to an interrupted wireless connection leaving ...

  1. Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    I've had a look through the errata and couldn't see this mentioned, so...

    I was running 2008.1 Free, originally installed from the DVD image.

    mdkapplet prompted me to upgrade to 2009.0. This failed due to an
    interrupted wireless connection leaving me with a system which would
    only boot to a terminal login, so I downloaded the DVD image using
    another machine, and then did an upgrade from that.

    It all went swimmingly, except that the main menus (the equivalent of
    the 'Start' menu from Windoze) now has many many duplicated entries.

    I imagine I can use the menu editor to remove the dupes, but is this
    likely to be caused by the interrupted first upgrade attempt? If not,
    this would appear to be incorrect behaviour, and should probably go into
    the errata.

  2. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:20:47 +0100, Keith wrote:

    > I imagine I can use the menu editor to remove the dupes, but is this
    > likely to be caused by the interrupted first upgrade attempt? If not,
    > this would appear to be incorrect behaviour, and should probably go into
    > the errata.

    Not to mention open/creating a bug report or two.
    https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi

  3. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:20:47 +0100, Keith wrote:
    >> I imagine I can use the menu editor to remove the dupes, but is this
    >> likely to be caused by the interrupted first upgrade attempt? If not,
    >> this would appear to be incorrect behaviour, and should probably go into
    >> the errata.

    > Not to mention open/creating a bug report or two.
    > https://qa.mandriva.com/index.cgi

    I think I see what's happened. The first boot after the second,
    successful, upgrade attempt came up in KDE3.5 for some reason, with all
    the duplicated menu entries. The second boot, it came up in KDE4, with
    the dupes gone.

    By the way (and forgive me if this a FAQ), under KDE4, what's happened
    to my usual (and very useful) 'Home' and 'Devices' icons on the desktop?
    And how do I get them back?

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:13:48 +0100, Keith wrote:

    > By the way (and forgive me if this a FAQ), under KDE4, what's happened
    > to my usual (and very useful) 'Home' and 'Devices' icons on the desktop?
    > And how do I get them back?

    Heheheh, you can create shortcut/lanucher in the Desktop Plasmoid, then left
    click-drag to desktop.

  5. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:13:48 +0100, Keith wrote:
    >
    >> By the way (and forgive me if this a FAQ), under KDE4, what's happened
    >> to my usual (and very useful) 'Home' and 'Devices' icons on the desktop?
    >> And how do I get them back?

    > Heheheh, you can create shortcut/lanucher in the Desktop Plasmoid, then
    > left click-drag to desktop.

    Two steps instead of one. That is "progress" and we must have it, even if
    the result doesn't work. "All progress depends on the unreasonable man" -
    G.B. Shaw. Like what happened to the environment and the economy. Like
    telling me that a computer that is too buggy to be usable is a good thing
    if it is secure. For best security, I should simply turn it off.

    Doug.
    --
    The complete truth is not the prerogative of the human judge.
    - Judge Meir Shamgar.

  6. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:22:18 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:

    >> Heheheh, you can create shortcut/lanucher in the Desktop Plasmoid, then
    >> left click-drag to desktop.

    > Two steps instead of one. That is "progress" and we must have it, even if
    > the result doesn't work.

    Guessing developers thought you would just click shortcut in the plasmoid.

    Problem is when plasmoid is covered by an app for me.

    I want my shortcuts around the edges of the screen hence the
    click-drag to where I want it.

  7. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:22:18 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> Heheheh, you can create shortcut/lanucher in the Desktop Plasmoid, then
    >>> left click-drag to desktop.

    >> Two steps instead of one. That is "progress" and we must have it, even if
    >> the result doesn't work.

    >Guessing developers thought you would just click shortcut in the plasmoid.
    >
    >Problem is when plasmoid is covered by an app for me.
    >
    >I want my shortcuts around the edges of the screen hence the
    >click-drag to where I want it.

    And you've got to have those huge 48-pixel icons if you want enough space
    for the text under the icons in the desktop-folder.

    The text space for the icons on the actual desktop seems dynamically
    resizable though (with occasional glitches), so those icons could be
    32-pixels if it wasn't so damn necessary to keep the desktop-folder open.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  8. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:02:44 GMT, Dave Farrance wrote:

    > And you've got to have those huge 48-pixel icons if you want enough space
    > for the text under the icons in the desktop-folder.

    Heheheh, First thing to do is get into
    Configure Your Desktop
    click Appearance --> Icons
    click Advanced tab
    and play with size

    Then you move them from Desktop plasmoid to desktop. :-)

  9. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:02:44 GMT, Dave Farrance wrote:
    >>
    >> And you've got to have those huge 48-pixel icons if you want enough space
    >> for the text under the icons in the desktop-folder.

    >Heheheh, First thing to do is get into
    >Configure Your Desktop
    >click Appearance --> Icons
    >click Advanced tab
    >and play with size
    >
    >Then you move them from Desktop plasmoid to desktop. :-)

    If the icon size is reduced to 32-pixels, more suited to my laptop's
    screen, then there's only space enough for about one word under icons in
    the desktop-folder plasmoid. No good if I want icons linking to a bunch
    of text files that I'm currently working on.

    I can't even read enough text to know which ones to drag onto the actual
    desktop. And anyway, that breaks the association with the apps like
    kwrite.

    --
    Dave Farrance

    --
    Dave Farrance

  10. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:12:15 GMT, Dave Farrance wrote:

    > If the icon size is reduced to 32-pixels, more suited to my laptop's
    > screen, then there's only space enough for about one word under icons in
    > the desktop-folder plasmoid. No good if I want icons linking to a bunch
    > of text files that I'm currently working on.
    >
    > I can't even read enough text to know which ones to drag onto the actual
    > desktop.

    Yes, I had to right click each one properties to get name with smaller
    icons.

    > And anyway, that breaks the association with the apps like
    > kwrite.

    Even then my shortcuts have name.desktop after dragging onto the desktop. ;(

    I gave up and installed task-kde3 on 2009.0.

    2009.0 going to be unusable for me until they fix my "at job" bug.

    Since imap has been replaced by cyrus-imapd I am having a problem
    trying to get dovecot working on my pop3 accounts.

  11. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:34:42 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Since imap has been replaced by cyrus-imapd I am having a problem
    > trying to get dovecot working on my pop3 accounts.

    I'm not using imap. Getting dovecot working with pop3, didn't require any
    configuration changes. Have you looked into using dovecot for your imap
    access, as well as pop3, instead of running two mail servers?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  12. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:11:27 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:34:42 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> Since imap has been replaced by cyrus-imapd I am having a problem
    >> trying to get dovecot working on my pop3 accounts.

    > I'm not using imap. Getting dovecot working with pop3, didn't require any
    > configuration changes.

    Hmmm, all I changed in /etc/dovecot was

    mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u"
    protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s

    > Have you looked into using dovecot for your imap
    > access, as well as pop3, instead of running two mail servers?

    2008.x imap installed those obsolete popX, imapX servers. I only used
    pop3 on those.

    Currently, I can receive messages, delete them, but when I clicked
    Get Mail in thunderbird, all the messages showed back up.

    /var/spool/mail/bittwister messages were not being deleted.

  13. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:57:02 -0400, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Currently, I can receive messages, delete them, but when I clicked
    > Get Mail in thunderbird, all the messages showed back up.

    That's a thunderbird issue, not a server issue. In thunderbird, you have to
    expunge the messages, before it will tell the server to delete them.

    See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_m..._IMAP_accounts

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  14. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:33:25 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > That's a thunderbird issue, not a server issue. In thunderbird, you have to
    > expunge the messages, before it will tell the server to delete them.
    >
    > See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_m..._IMAP_accounts

    I hear where you are coming from, but, my junk account is running
    against a pop server. In 2008.1 clicking Delete icon, deleted it.

    In 2009, it did not. Guess I need see what it going to take to run
    imapd and get out of running a pop server.

    junk account is on a separate partition mounted by both releases.

  15. Re: Main menu after 2009.0 upgrade

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >Even then my shortcuts have name.desktop after dragging onto the desktop. ;(

    Yes. If you call up the icon properties, then change the name in the
    "General" tab, then the icon name may or may not change, depending on the
    phase of the moon. But there is a separate "rename" option as well in
    the icon's right-click menu, which seems to work more reliably. (Not for
    pure shortcuts, of course, but those don't have ".desktop" added anyway.)

    --
    Dave Farrance

+ Reply to Thread