Download troubles - 2009.0 Free - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Download troubles - 2009.0 Free - Mandriva ; As I have done the last couple of years, I decided to download the i586 dvd iso of Mandriva 2009.0 Free using Kget 0.8.5 (Mandriva 2008.1 and KDE 3.5.9) last night, but was unsuccessful. I think there may be a ...

  1. Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    As I have done the last couple of years, I decided to download the i586
    dvd iso of Mandriva 2009.0 Free using Kget 0.8.5 (Mandriva 2008.1 and
    KDE 3.5.9) last night, but was unsuccessful. I think there may be a
    couple of things going on here, but since I don't know much, that would
    only be a guess. I will simply report what I did and what I saw, and let
    the experts take it from there, if something needs to be done.

    The procedure I use is to select an ftp mirror through Firefox, then
    copy and paste the location of the file I want to download to Kget. As I
    am in the US, I thought first of trying a mirror close by, also in the
    US. That was my first mistake. I saw a download speed of 10-20, most
    likely because of the demand. So I decided to choose a mirror that I
    thought was potentially less popular, and in a time zone where it was
    late at night. I chose Iceland. Kget seemed to start OK, with speeds of
    150-190 or so, but I noticed that the % indicator said it was 99% done,
    and there was no number in the "time left" area. However, the byte count
    advanced, and the LEDs on my router indicated activity. I went to bed,
    and let it do its thing.

    I woke up once around 5am, and came out to check on its progress. It was
    still downloading, with 3.5 GB downloaded, but still "99%" and zeros in
    the "time left" column. When I got up I checked again. It had shut off,
    so I assumed it finished, but when I looked in my Downloads folder it
    wasn't there. I restarted Kget to check the log, but it had been erased
    when it shut down, or I neglected to activate it. I tried starting the
    download again, same mirror, same indications, but paused it after a few
    minutes and looked at the log, where it said there was a file size
    mismatch. Tried reloading the url, same result. I then tried a mirror in
    Switzerland, and that looks OK. I'll start that up again tonight, as my
    ISP would rather I did my heavy downloading at night, and since I get my
    service for free I'd rather not tick off my ISP.

    My own speculation here is that for one thing, there's something wrong
    with the iso at that Iceland mirror. The other thing is that Kget should
    have stopped completely, with an error message, when the file sizes
    didn't match, but didn't. But I'm no expert. What do you guys think?

    TJ

  2. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:04:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
    > As I have done the last couple of years, I decided to download the i586
    > dvd iso of Mandriva 2009.0 Free using Kget 0.8.5 (Mandriva 2008.1 and
    > KDE 3.5.9) last night, but was unsuccessful. I think there may be a
    > couple of things going on here, but since I don't know much, that would
    > only be a guess. I will simply report what I did and what I saw, and let
    > the experts take it from there, if something needs to be done.

    My WAG, either you ran out of space or were losing the connection.

    Following script uses ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu in the USA. If you do a
    host ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu you will see they have three servers.

    Save this script as wg_2009_0, then chmod +x wg_2009_0, and when
    you are ready to fetch the free dvd iso, do a
    ../wg_2009_0

    #!/bin/bash
    #************************************************* ***
    #*
    #* wg_2009_0 - network download release 2009.0
    #*
    #************************************************* ***

    _exe=$0

    _cmd="echo wget"

    _rel=2009.0

    _yr=${_rel:0:4}
    _ver=${_rel:5:1}
    _arch=i586
    _phase=rc2
    # _cycle=devel
    _cycle=official

    if [ 1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    # ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/m.../official/iso/
    _mirror=ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu
    _pub_loc=pub/mirrors
    _iso_loc=mandrake/Mandrakelinux/$_cycle/iso/${_rel}
    fi

    if [ 1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    # ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/$_rel/
    _mirror=ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net
    _pub_loc=linux
    _iso_loc=Mandrakelinux/$_cycle/iso/${_rel}
    fi

    if [ 1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    # ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/$_rel/
    _mirror=ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net
    _pub_loc=linux
    _iso_loc=Mandrakelinux/$_cycle/iso/${_rel}
    fi

    if [ 1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    # ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/official/iso/$_rel/
    _mirror=ftp://ftp.ciril.fr
    _pub_loc=pub/linux
    _iso_loc=mandrivalinux/$_cycle/iso/${_rel}
    fi

    if [ 0 -eq 0 ] ; then
    # ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/mandrake/devel/iso/$_rel/beta1/
    _mirror=ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu
    _pub_loc=pub
    _iso_loc=mandrake/$_cycle/iso/${_rel}
    fi

    if [ 1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    # ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrivalinux/official/iso/$_rel
    _mirror=ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu
    _pub_loc=pub/linux/distributions
    _iso_loc=mandrivalinux/$_cycle/iso/${_rel}
    fi

    if [ "$_cycle" = "devel" ] ; then
    _iso_loc=/$_iso_loc/$_phase
    _cd="mandriva-linux-free-${_yr}-sophie"
    else
    if [ $_ver -eq 1 ] ; then
    _cd="mandriva-linux-free-${_yr}-spring"
    else
    _cd="mandriva-linux-free-${_yr}"
    fi
    fi

    _media=cd

    _cd_fn="\
    ${_cd}-cd1-cd2-cd3.${_arch}.idx \
    ${_cd}-cd1-${_arch}.iso.md5 \
    ${_cd}-cd1-${_arch}.iso \
    ${_cd}-cd2-${_arch}.iso.md5 \
    ${_cd}-cd2-${_arch}.iso \
    ${_cd}-cd3-${_arch}.iso.md5 \
    ${_cd}-cd4-${_arch}.iso \
    "

    _media=dvd
    _dvd_fn="\
    ${_cd}-${_media}-${_arch}.iso.md5 \
    ${_cd}-${_media}-${_arch}.idx \
    ${_cd}-${_media}-${_arch}.iso\
    "

    case $_media in
    "cd")
    _fn_lst="$_cd_fn"
    ;;
    "dvd")
    _fn_lst="$_dvd_fn"
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Unknown media type"
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac

    echo "

    Working $_mirror/$_pub_loc/$_iso_loc/

    "
    echo "Working $_mirror/$_pub_loc/$_iso_loc/" > ${_exe}.start
    echo " Started Download $(date) " >> ${_exe}.start

    for x in $_fn_lst ; do
    if [ -e $x ] ; then
    echo "already downloaded $x"
    else
    $_cmd $_mirror/$_pub_loc/$_iso_loc/${x}
    fi
    done

    echo "Finished download $(date) " >> ${_exe}.start

    for x in ${_cd}*iso.md5 ; do
    echo md5sum -c $x
    md5sum -c $x
    done

    echo "Finished $_exe $(date) " >> ${_exe}.start

    #************** end wg_2009_0 **************************

  3. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:04:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >> As I have done the last couple of years, I decided to download the i586
    >> dvd iso of Mandriva 2009.0 Free using Kget 0.8.5 (Mandriva 2008.1 and
    >> KDE 3.5.9) last night, but was unsuccessful. I think there may be a
    >> couple of things going on here, but since I don't know much, that would
    >> only be a guess. I will simply report what I did and what I saw, and let
    >> the experts take it from there, if something needs to be done.

    > My WAG, either you ran out of space or were losing the connection.

    That drive/partition shows 49 gigs of space available, so I don't think
    space was the problem, and connections on my end, at least, have been
    rock-solid for months. My service can be disrupted by bad weather, but
    last night was gorgeous and quiet.

    I will look into your script tonight, when I'm not so busy trying to
    sell winter squash and pumpkins.

    TJ

  4. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:44:23 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:

    Frap, forgot to take out a one line debugging command. Change your copy

    > #!/bin/bash
    > #************************************************* ***
    > #*
    > #* wg_2009_0 - network download release 2009.0
    > #*
    > #************************************************* ***
    >
    > _exe=$0

    Change _cmd="echo wget"
    to _cmd="wget"

  5. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    TJ writes:

    >As I have done the last couple of years, I decided to download the i586
    >dvd iso of Mandriva 2009.0 Free using Kget 0.8.5 (Mandriva 2008.1 and
    >KDE 3.5.9) last night, but was unsuccessful. I think there may be a
    >couple of things going on here, but since I don't know much, that would
    >only be a guess. I will simply report what I did and what I saw, and let
    >the experts take it from there, if something needs to be done.

    >The procedure I use is to select an ftp mirror through Firefox, then
    >copy and paste the location of the file I want to download to Kget. As I
    >am in the US, I thought first of trying a mirror close by, also in the
    >US. That was my first mistake. I saw a download speed of 10-20, most
    >likely because of the demand. So I decided to choose a mirror that I
    >thought was potentially less popular, and in a time zone where it was
    >late at night. I chose Iceland. Kget seemed to start OK, with speeds of
    >150-190 or so, but I noticed that the % indicator said it was 99% done,
    >and there was no number in the "time left" area. However, the byte count
    >advanced, and the LEDs on my router indicated activity. I went to bed,
    >and let it do its thing.

    >I woke up once around 5am, and came out to check on its progress. It was
    >still downloading, with 3.5 GB downloaded, but still "99%" and zeros in
    >the "time left" column. When I got up I checked again. It had shut off,
    >so I assumed it finished, but when I looked in my Downloads folder it
    >wasn't there. I restarted Kget to check the log, but it had been erased
    >when it shut down, or I neglected to activate it. I tried starting the
    >download again, same mirror, same indications, but paused it after a few
    >minutes and looked at the log, where it said there was a file size
    >mismatch. Tried reloading the url, same result. I then tried a mirror in
    >Switzerland, and that looks OK. I'll start that up again tonight, as my
    >ISP would rather I did my heavy downloading at night, and since I get my
    >service for free I'd rather not tick off my ISP.

    >My own speculation here is that for one thing, there's something wrong
    >with the iso at that Iceland mirror. The other thing is that Kget should
    >have stopped completely, with an error message, when the file sizes
    >didn't match, but didn't. But I'm no expert. What do you guys think?

    I think you did not read the release notes. Torrent is the way to download
    the iso. Overloading some poor server doing an ftp download is silly. Right
    now the web is full of people willing to allow you to download Mandriva.
    Using an ftp source is silly. They probably cut you off or shutdown their
    computer for maintenance, or noticed that people were overloading their
    system. Note that I got download speeds of 5MB/s via torrent at times-- in
    focat most of the download occured at those high speeds ( although it took
    5hr altogether)

    >TJ

  6. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    Unruh wrote:

    > I think you did not read the release notes. Torrent is the way to download
    > the iso. Overloading some poor server doing an ftp download is silly. Right
    > now the web is full of people willing to allow you to download Mandriva.
    > Using an ftp source is silly. They probably cut you off or shutdown their
    > computer for maintenance, or noticed that people were overloading their
    > system. Note that I got download speeds of 5MB/s via torrent at times-- in
    > focat most of the download occured at those high speeds ( although it took
    > 5hr altogether)

    You are correct that I didn't read the release notes - this time. But
    silly me, in the past I waited a month or so after the release for any
    final set of bugs to shake themselves out before I tried a download from
    some poor server that by that time wasn't overloaded any more. Since I
    won't have a chance to do an install before US Election Day, I'll now
    probably wait until then to do the download. Perhaps then it won't be so
    silly and I won't annoy my provider so much, either. He'd rather I
    didn't use torrents at all.

    But you apparently didn't read what I wrote, either. You were too busy
    being turned off by the very idea of somebody daring to use an ftp
    mirror. I wasn't cut off. The US mirror was slow, but functioning
    correctly. It no doubt was overloaded, the reason why I left after just
    a couple of minutes. My maximum download speed, btw, is 2.5 Mb/s, or
    roughly 300kB/s.

    The Iceland site didn't cut me off or go down for maintenance, either.
    While it appeared to be feeding me at half my maximum speed, it just
    never did work correctly, and it didn't matter whether I tried to start
    the download at night (my time) or in the morning. I should have known
    that something was up when I didn't get a "time left" number. In the
    future, I'll know better.

    The Switzerland site fed me, apparently correctly, at my maximum for the
    few minutes that I tried it, but by then had I continued I would have
    overloaded my provider's network, or at least my small part of it,
    during business hours. That's not the way to continue a good
    relationship, so I stopped.

    I'll try the download again in a few weeks, after the rush has subsided.
    If I again have trouble with the download, I'll just fumble around on my
    own until I get it somehow. I thought that I had stumbled onto a
    possible problem that someone might want to look in to, but I can see
    now that I was just being silly. Since I can't do any coding, I thought
    it was a way to do something to help The Cause. Guess I was wrong. Sorry
    I bothered you. It won't happen again.

    TJ

  7. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    TJ wrote:

    > I'll try the download again in a few weeks, after the rush has subsided.
    > If I again have trouble with the download, I'll just fumble around on my
    > own until I get it somehow. I thought that I had stumbled onto a
    > possible problem that someone might want to look in to, but I can see
    > now that I was just being silly. Since I can't do any coding, I thought
    > it was a way to do something to help The Cause. Guess I was wrong. Sorry
    > I bothered you. It won't happen again.

    With Verizon DSL as my ISP I've always had good FTP and HTTP rates from
    France and there 'Free.net' mirror including today it maxed-out at my
    usual 355KB on 3000/768 Verizon DSL residential account from [central
    IL]. infact I've never seen it fall below 350KB from release day on...

    But with AT&T DSL and same DSL rate plan and same day with different US to
    France network [AT&T] this French ISP was not nearly or only half as
    fast, so you or no one knows or can say how any server or network or
    protocol is gonna perform until you try it.

    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  8. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    Patrick Phillips wrote:

    > With Verizon DSL as my ISP I've always had good FTP and HTTP rates from
    > France and there 'Free.net' mirror including today it maxed-out at my
    > usual 355KB on 3000/768 Verizon DSL residential account from [central
    > IL]. infact I've never seen it fall below 350KB from release day on...
    >
    > But with AT&T DSL and same DSL rate plan and same day with different US to
    > France network [AT&T] this French ISP was not nearly or only half as
    > fast, so you or no one knows or can say how any server or network or
    > protocol is gonna perform until you try it.

    Agreed, and that performance can vary from time to time because of
    traffic and the routing you may receive in getting from here to there. I
    understand all that, having online experience that pre-dates the Web.
    The problem I referred to was not the speeds I saw, but rather the file
    size mismatch I got from Iceland, and that Kget continued to download
    anyway. I have no idea what Kget downloaded, since there was nothing
    there when it stopped.

    That, to me, is a problem. I must be wrong, though, since apparently no
    one else cares about it enough to even take a look to see where I may
    have gone wrong, or if some other human actually DID make a mistake.

    Sorry for the attitude. Few things annoy me more than when I try to do
    some little thing to help out, only to be kicked in the teeth for doing
    so. I shall try to contain that annoyance.

    TJ

  9. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    TJ wrote:

    > I have no idea what Kget downloaded, since there was nothing
    > there when it stopped.
    >
    > That, to me, is a problem. I must be wrong, though, since apparently no
    > one else cares about it enough to even take a look to see where I may
    > have gone wrong, or if some other human actually DID make a mistake.
    >
    > Sorry for the attitude. Few things annoy me more than when I try to do
    > some little thing to help out, only to be kicked in the teeth for doing
    > so. I shall try to contain that annoyance.

    Well that is just plain weird and unheard of by me and probably won't
    happen a second time...but to be safe I'd try a different mirror :-)
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*

  10. Re: Download troubles - 2009.0 Free

    OK, I just tried the Iceland site again, with the same results. Here is
    what I did, step by step:

    1. Went to the Mandriva Downloads site, selected the Free dvd, selected
    Iceland, then clicked on the top url.

    2. Firefox gave me the "Do you want to save this file" dialog box. This
    time I clicked on "yes" to see what Firefox would do with it, and the
    download appeared to start normally. After a minute or so, I canceled
    the download. I normally don't use Firefox's downloader for files that
    may take more than one session, since I have never been able to make it
    pause and resume if I happen to shut down. I shut my computer down when
    I'm not using it to save on my electric bill.

    3. After canceling the Firefox download, I clicked on the "if your
    download doesn't start automatically" link, which brought up the ftp
    directory. This, by the way, is the procedure I had to use to get to the
    CD versions before I bought my dvd burner. I made my way to the dvd iso,
    right-clicked, and selected "Copy link location."

    4. I started Kget, and pasted the "link location" into it, which started
    the download. This procedure works with other ftp mirrors, but with this
    particular file on this particular server, the "time left" column still
    shows "00:00." I deleted the whole thing after a half-minute or so.

    5. This is what my Kget log shows when I finished the above:

    > 08:15:28 : Welcome to KGet
    > 08:40:11 : Job[1] : Copy file from: ftp://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/Mandrakelinux...9-dvd-i586.iso
    > 08:40:11 : Job[1] : To: file:///home/tom/Download/mandriva-linux-free-2009-dvd-i586.iso
    > 08:40:11 : Starting another queued job.
    > 08:40:11 : Job[1] : Attempt number 1
    > 08:40:11 : Job[1] : Opening connection to host ftp.rhnet.is
    > 08:40:12 : Job[1] : Connected to host ftp.rhnet.is
    > 08:40:12 : Job[1] : Sending login information
    > 08:40:13 : Job[1] : Login OK
    > 08:40:14 : Job[1] : Download resumed
    > 08:40:14 : Job[1] : Total size is 183 bytes
    > 08:40:14 : Job[1] : Download resumed
    > 08:40:14 : Job[1] : The file size does not match.

    Other sites do the download, this one doesn't. Please, someone tell me
    why this one is always different from the rest.

    TJ

+ Reply to Thread