minimal configuration newsreader - Mandriva

This is a discussion on minimal configuration newsreader - Mandriva ; hi, i've been using google groups to post on usenet groups, but i'd like to use a newsreader...can somebody please link me to a tutorial where i can learn how to use knode very quickly? or is there any other ...

  1. minimal configuration newsreader

    hi,

    i've been using google groups to post on usenet groups, but i'd like
    to use a newsreader...can somebody please link me to a tutorial where
    i can learn how to use knode very quickly? or is there any other kde
    news reader application that needs minimal configuration and can be
    learnt quickly to use?

    thanks .

  2. Re: minimal configuration newsreader

    Sindhu wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i've been using google groups to post on usenet groups, but i'd like
    > to use a newsreader...can somebody please link me to a tutorial where
    > i can learn how to use knode very quickly? or is there any other kde
    > news reader application that needs minimal configuration and can be
    > learnt quickly to use?
    >
    > thanks .

    In Knode, you can go to Settings, and Configure Knode, to configure:
    -Identity. Your name and email-address that will be posted with your
    messages.
    -Accounts. The name of the server. Hopefully your ISP provide you a server,
    or you can try to find any other server on internet.

    When this configuration is done, you can right-click on the server, and
    select subscribe to newsgroup.

  3. Re: minimal configuration newsreader

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 06:02:22 -0700 (PDT), Sindhu wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i've been using google groups to post on usenet groups, but i'd like
    > to use a newsreader

    Have you already selected a "Usenet news server" that you can use?

    > ...can somebody please link me to a tutorial where
    > i can learn how to use knode very quickly? or is there any other kde
    > news reader application that needs minimal configuration and can be
    > learnt quickly to use?

    Hmmm, how long of a string is needed to wrap a package?
    How do we know how fast you can learn.

    I would not use a gui reader to read a text group.
    I lurk in 90+ news groups, using slrn, I can hit space to open a news
    group or article, down arrow to pick next group/article, c to catchup
    articles I did not bother to read, g to get new articles.

  4. Re: minimal configuration newsreader

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:17:03 +0200, Amund wrote:

    > When this configuration is done, you can right-click on the server, and
    > select subscribe to newsgroup.

    Then you might want to do a catchup or mark all read.

    Do use any group ending in .test to test/learn whatever reader you
    selected.

  5. Re: minimal configuration newsreader

    Sindhu wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i've been using google groups to post on usenet groups, but i'd like
    > to use a newsreader...can somebody please link me to a tutorial where
    > i can learn how to use knode very quickly? or is there any other kde
    > news reader application that needs minimal configuration and can be
    > learnt quickly to use?

    ================================
    Mozilla-Thunderbird I find an excellent newsreader as well as an e-mail
    client .

    Frank

  6. Re: minimal configuration newsreader

    Highland Ham wrote:

    > Mozilla-Thunderbird I find an excellent newsreader as well as an e-mail
    > client .

    I prefer Knode, but for a new user to learn easier I'd also suggest
    Thunderbird, its in the add/remove software repositories ready to
    download and install, if its not already installed under Internet/
    Thunderbird.
    --
    Patrick...at
    Latitude: 40.48*