Looking for Linux self-study books - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Looking for Linux self-study books - Mandriva ; Greetings, I'm looking for self-study / training material to help me understand Linux. I have run across "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Looks like a decent start. I'm not interested in getting into a 1000+ page reference manual, just ...

  1. Looking for Linux self-study books

    Greetings,

    I'm looking for self-study / training material to help me understand
    Linux. I have run across "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Looks like a
    decent start.

    I'm not interested in getting into a 1000+ page reference manual, just
    want to learn the basics. I can get the specifics later.

    I've got experience programming from 20+ years ago. Been involved in
    technology since them, so I have a reasonable technical background on
    which to build.

    Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

    Bill

  2. Re: Looking for Linux self-study books

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:11:53 -0400, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > I'm looking for self-study / training material to help me understand
    > Linux. I have run across "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Looks like a
    > decent start.

    Run "urpmi howto-html-en", then you can open the documents from the menu,
    under documentation. You'll find howto documents ranging from how linux
    starts, to configuring various odd bits of hardware. Some of them are
    out of date, as to the details, but the concepts haven't changed much.

    You can find the same on the web with a search for "linux howto $topic".

    Also, when you think an article is appropriate for a number of news groups,
    please cross post (one article to multiple newsgroups), rather then multipost
    (multiple identicle articles, each to one newsgroup).

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Looking for Linux self-study books

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:11:53 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Greetings,

    net etiquette/Newsgroup tip:

    Multi-posting is considered antisocial on Usenet.

    If you want to send the same message to more than one newsgroup, CROSSPOST!
    And if you crosspost, provide a Followup newsgroup.

    Some will argue that you not even crosspost because of the amount/type
    of newsgroups that we have today.

    As an example to post to "comp.os.linux.security", and
    "alt.security", use the following Newsgroups line:
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.security,alt.security

    See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

    Also, other first group readers see the follow up answers from the
    second group and do not have to provide the same answer. Once a first
    group reader has "read" a message in one group, they do not have to
    see it again in the other group unless someone has provided a reply.

  4. Re: Looking for Linux self-study books

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:11:53 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    >
    > Bill

    You could try here

    http://linux.2038bug.com/rute-home.html

    Fred

  5. Re: Looking for Linux self-study books

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:11:53 -0500, Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm looking for self-study / training material to help me understand
    > Linux. I have run across "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Looks like a
    > decent start.
    >
    > I'm not interested in getting into a 1000+ page reference manual, just
    > want to learn the basics. I can get the specifics later.
    >
    > I've got experience programming from 20+ years ago. Been involved in
    > technology since them, so I have a reasonable technical background on
    > which to build.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    >
    > Bill

    http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html

  6. Re: Looking for Linux self-study books

    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm looking for self-study / training material to help me understand
    > Linux. I have run across "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Looks like a
    > decent start.
    >
    > I'm not interested in getting into a 1000+ page reference manual, just
    > want to learn the basics. I can get the specifics later.
    >
    > I've got experience programming from 20+ years ago. Been involved in
    > technology since them, so I have a reasonable technical background on
    > which to build.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

    http://www.linux.org ----> Courses

    Frank

  7. Re: Looking for Linux self-study books

    Peaceful Bill wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I'm looking for self-study / training material to help me understand
    > Linux. I have run across "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Looks like a
    > decent start.
    >
    > I'm not interested in getting into a 1000+ page reference manual, just
    > want to learn the basics. I can get the specifics later.
    >
    > I've got experience programming from 20+ years ago. Been involved in
    > technology since them, so I have a reasonable technical background on
    > which to build.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    >
    > Bill

    http://tldp.org/guides.html
    check the
    Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide downloadeble pdf file 1.6 MB

    santo

+ Reply to Thread