Unable To Stat .gvfs As Root - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Unable To Stat .gvfs As Root - Mandriva ; One of the several problems I have had recently has been an attempt to install java-1.6, which complained that it could not find .gvfs. [jim@localhost ~]$ su Password: [root@localhost jim]# ls -la |grep gvfs ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied ...

  1. Unable To Stat .gvfs As Root

    One of the several problems I have had recently has been
    an attempt to install java-1.6, which complained that it
    could not find .gvfs.

    [jim@localhost ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost jim]# ls -la |grep gvfs
    ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied
    d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs/
    [root@localhost jim]# su -
    [root@localhost ~]# cd /home/jim
    [root@localhost jim]# ls -la |grep gvfs
    ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied
    d????????? ? ? ? ? ? .gvfs/

    Thinking an unreadable anything was of little use, i tried,
    [root@localhost jim]# rm -rf .gvfs
    rm: cannot remove `.gvfs': Permission denied

    This apparently has something to do with the fuse software,

    Anyone have any idea what is going on? How to correct it?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  2. Re: Unable To Stat .gvfs As Root

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:06:05 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:

    > [root@localhost jim]# rm -rf .gvfs
    > rm: cannot remove `.gvfs': Permission denied
    > This apparently has something to do with the fuse software,

    The directory is created owned by the user, with rwx for the
    user, and no permissions for the group or others.

    > Anyone have any idea what is going on? How to correct it?

    Root does not have read access to the directory.

    You could run "chmod a+r /home/$user/.gvfs" to give root read
    access, but if I remember correctly, that gets changed back,
    the next time you reboot/login.

    I'd just ignore it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Unable To Stat .gvfs As Root

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:06:05 -0400, Jim Beard wrote:
    >> [root@localhost jim]# rm -rf .gvfs
    >> rm: cannot remove `.gvfs': Permission denied
    >> This apparently has something to do with the fuse software,

    > The directory is created owned by the user, with rwx for the
    > user, and no permissions for the group or others.
    >
    >> Anyone have any idea what is going on? How to correct it?

    > Root does not have read access to the directory.

    Say what? I thought root had access to anything it did
    not deliberately exclude from its purview. I.e. root
    could set a file or directory owned by root with
    chmod 003, and that would allow root to change it and
    search it if a directory, but it would not be readable.

    The permissions actually are dr-x------ 2 jim jim
    so owner can read and search the directory but cannot
    write to it, which prevents removing or adding files to
    the thing. Odd.

    Thanks for the answer.

    Cheers!

    jim b.