Can't kill splash screen - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Can't kill splash screen - Mandriva ; Although I've removed "BOOT_IMAGE=linux" and set "splash=verbose" in the grub stanza for Mandriva 2009 (see below), I still get the boot splash screen appearing. When the kernel starts to boot, it does start in text mode, and a page of ...

  1. Can't kill splash screen

    Although I've removed "BOOT_IMAGE=linux" and set "splash=verbose" in the
    grub stanza for Mandriva 2009 (see below), I still get the boot splash
    screen appearing. When the kernel starts to boot, it does start in text
    mode, and a page of text goes by in less than a second, then the splash
    screen appears, and I have to press Esc to get rid of it. Anybody know
    how to get rid of it permanently?

    title Mandriva 2009
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 resume=/dev/sda7 splash=verbose vga=791
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

    --
    Dave Farrance

  2. Re: Can't kill splash screen

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:41:51 -0400, Dave Farrance wrote:

    > Although I've removed "BOOT_IMAGE=linux" and set "splash=verbose" in the
    > grub stanza for Mandriva 2009 (see below), I still get the boot splash
    > screen appearing. When the kernel starts to boot, it does start in text

    After looking at the initsplash function in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, I've
    found the easiest way is to run "chmod a-x /sbin/splashy".

    I have found another problem though. When the startup is finished (with or
    without disabling splashy), I don't get the login prompt, until I press
    "Alt+f2" followed by "Alt+f1".

    Mandriva seems to be more and more geared to people using run level 5.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: Can't kill splash screen

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:28:47 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > After looking at the initsplash function in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, I've
    > found the easiest way is to run "chmod a-x /sbin/splashy".

    Ignore that. Seemed to work for one bootup, but doesn't work as there is
    still an executable splashy in the initrd.

    After some more digging and testing, I've found that, if the word splash
    is used in the cmdline, splashy will run.

    Solution is to remove the splash parameter completely.

    Instead of having splash=silent, or splash=verbose, remove it completely.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Can't kill splash screen

    "David W. Hodgins" wrote:

    >Solution is to remove the splash parameter completely.
    >
    >Instead of having splash=silent, or splash=verbose, remove it completely.

    Thanks Dave.

    --
    Dave Farrance

+ Reply to Thread