Tried 2009. Back to ubuntu for me. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Tried 2009. Back to ubuntu for me. - Mandriva ; Slow and sluggish. Can't get dual monitors to work with nvidia 6200. Amarok keeps crashing or when it's not crashing it's hanging. My HP P1006 printer will not print. It's slow. Oh, I already mentioned that. Seriously, Ubuntu has it's ...

  1. Tried 2009. Back to ubuntu for me.

    Slow and sluggish.
    Can't get dual monitors to work with nvidia 6200.
    Amarok keeps crashing or when it's not crashing it's hanging.
    My HP P1006 printer will not print.
    It's slow. Oh, I already mentioned that.
    Seriously, Ubuntu has it's problems but Mandriva seems like it was
    released with little end user testing.
    Back to Hardy for me.

  2. Re: Tried 2009. Back to ubuntu for me.

    Reggie wrote:

    > Slow and sluggish.
    > Can't get dual monitors to work with nvidia 6200.
    > Amarok keeps crashing or when it's not crashing it's hanging.
    > My HP P1006 printer will not print.
    > It's slow. Oh, I already mentioned that.
    > Seriously, Ubuntu has it's problems but Mandriva seems like it was
    > released with little end user testing.
    > Back to Hardy for me.

    I don't wan to trade insults. I have tried 2009 rc2 only so far. It didn't
    seem slow. The other points I have no comparison to try.

    I have tried 3 different versions of Hardy. The installer exits before it
    gets to the bootloader - and I am not alone in experiencing this. On the
    other hand, plenty of people have had no trouble, including yourself, it
    seems. (There was something in the Notes about disabling AIPC; haven't
    tried that yet.)

    I have had Fedora working, and my only real objection was that it
    is "different," mostly in tighter permissions on admin commands. But one
    version installed, then refused to run. I am not a fan of GNOME, but both
    Fedora and Ubuntu make it work well. I always come back to Mandriva.

    Whatever works best for you, stick with it. People can get passionate about
    defending their choice of distro.

    Looking at a magazine on computer music, it recommended Ubuntu Studio as a
    free OS. We used to have a low-latency kernel, but I am not sure what is
    currently available. At one time, I was rolling my own. Both Studio and
    our kernel were called "experimental."

    Doug.
    --
    The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.
    - William James.

  3. Re: Tried 2009. Back to ubuntu for me.

    Reggie wrote:

    > Slow and sluggish.

    You can try to run top, or ksysguard, to look for any process that is using
    a lot of memory, or a lot of cpu.
    What is working slow?
    If you boot from a live cd, the boot process, and other tasks, will be slow.

    > Can't get dual monitors to work with nvidia 6200.

    Sometimes, it might be smart to try different drivers:
    -from xorg
    -or from nvidia.
    If you use Mandriva free, i think that distribution contains open source,
    and you get xorg, but not the drivers from nvidia. If you want the nvidia
    driver, then i think you have to find it on your own.
    If you use a commercial version, like Mandriva Powerpack, i think you can
    choose between xorg- or nvidia-driver.
    I think the free Mandriva One, contains software that is not open source.

    Sometimes, when i try to configure my screens with krandrtray, i get
    messages like: Your X server is using RandR extension at version 1.2 or
    greater which doesn't have any configuration yet. I have not tested this in
    the final version of Mandriva 2009.
    Normally, it works fine to configure different resolutions on the screens,
    etc, with krandrtray, on the fly.

    > Amarok keeps crashing or when it's not crashing it's hanging.

    You can try to look for a bug, or report a bug: https://bugs.kde.org/
    Usually, it is possible to save some crash info, that you can upload to the
    case.

    > My HP P1006 printer will not print.

    Try printerdrake as root.
    > It's slow. Oh, I already mentioned that.
    > Seriously, Ubuntu has it's problems but Mandriva seems like it was
    > released with little end user testing.
    > Back to Hardy for me.

+ Reply to Thread