Install problem Mandriva 2009 free - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Install problem Mandriva 2009 free - Mandriva ; Hi, I guess that I will be shushed away, but I do have to ask. I have downloaded both the x86_64 bit and the I586 version of Mandriva 2009. The installbit goes by, no trouble at all, but when it ...

  1. Install problem Mandriva 2009 free

    Hi,
    I guess that I will be shushed away, but I do have to ask.
    I have downloaded both the x86_64 bit and the I586 version of Mandriva 2009.
    The installbit goes by, no trouble at all, but when it gets to
    configuring my X server it chooses "automatic"..I tried to choose
    resolution my self, but as with Automatic it just..In lack of better
    words, screws up my screen, just patterns in colours across my screen,
    when I then select ctrl-alt + backspace the screen goes orange and
    green, (this goes for both I586 and x86_64) I never saw that before.
    I have a GeForce 6600 GT videocard, and Mandriva select the apropiate
    driver for me too, do anyone have a clue about what this is? (I restored
    my Mandriva 2008.1 after that failed install..Backup is king =0)

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI NEO3, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
    GeForce 6600GT Pci-E
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  2. Re: Install problem Mandriva 2009 free

    I forgot to tell that I am unable to log in to the installed system due
    to the "havoc" of colours on the screen. CTRL-ALT + backspace does not
    help at all.

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI NEO3, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
    GeForce 6600GT Pci-E
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

  3. Re: Install problem Mandriva 2009 free

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:03:35 +0200, Roger wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I guess that I will be shushed away, but I do have to ask. I have
    > downloaded both the x86_64 bit and the I586 version of Mandriva 2009.
    > The installbit goes by, no trouble at all, but when it gets to
    > configuring my X server it chooses "automatic"..I tried to choose
    > resolution my self, but as with Automatic it just..In lack of better
    > words, screws up my screen, just patterns in colours across my screen,
    > when I then select ctrl-alt + backspace the screen goes orange and
    > green, (this goes for both I586 and x86_64) I never saw that before. I
    > have a GeForce 6600 GT videocard, and Mandriva select the apropiate
    > driver for me too, do anyone have a clue about what this is? (I restored
    > my Mandriva 2008.1 after that failed install..Backup is king =0)

    Off the top of my head

    Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console

    login as root

    init 3 (to kill X)

    drakx11 (to setup X server)

    init 5 (to restart X)

    Good luck
    Gordon

  4. Re: Install problem Mandriva 2009 free

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:05:18 +0200, Roger wrote:
    > I forgot to tell that I am unable to log in to the installed system due
    > to the "havoc" of colours on the screen. CTRL-ALT + backspace does not
    > help at all.

    Heheheh, yup. Setting GUI runlevel 5 can put you into the ditch when
    gui setup is fubar.

    You can boot failsafe and
    change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab

    Next boot will get you in and you enter startx to run the gui desktop.

    /usr/bin/XFdrake or /usr/sbin/XFdrake
    might let you configure your video setup.

  5. Re: Install problem Mandriva 2009 free

    Bit Twister skrev:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:05:18 +0200, Roger wrote:
    >> I forgot to tell that I am unable to log in to the installed system due
    >> to the "havoc" of colours on the screen. CTRL-ALT + backspace does not
    >> help at all.

    > Heheheh, yup. Setting GUI runlevel 5 can put you into the ditch when
    > gui setup is fubar.
    >
    > You can boot failsafe and
    > change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: in /etc/inittab
    >
    > Next boot will get you in and you enter startx to run the gui desktop.
    >
    > /usr/bin/XFdrake or /usr/sbin/XFdrake
    > might let you configure your video setup.

    Now,
    I did as you people told me, I did not let the system log in to a
    gui-desktop. I tried all the combinations I could think of under
    Console, using mcc and tried to choose different drivers, but to no
    avail, the screen is still unreadable, well, well. Guess that I will use
    the good old 2008.1, but thanks for the help =0)

    Roger

    --
    Mandriva Linux 2008.1 pwp (Linuxcounter #432950)

    MSI NEO3, 1,0 Gb Memory, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
    GeForce 6600GT Pci-E
    Be against others the way
    you want to be treated yourself

+ Reply to Thread