So, I bought a DVD burner... - Mandriva

This is a discussion on So, I bought a DVD burner... - Mandriva ; I've used K3b to burn CDs of various sorts, but DVDs are a new trick for this old dog. To start off - How do I determine whether to buy either DVD-R or DVD+R media? I intend to download and ...

  1. So, I bought a DVD burner...

    I've used K3b to burn CDs of various sorts, but DVDs are a new trick for
    this old dog. To start off - How do I determine whether to buy either
    DVD-R or DVD+R media?

    I intend to download and burn a Mandriva installation DVD, for a fresh
    install of 2009. I am currently using Mandriva 2008.0 and a brand-new LG
    GH20 20x DVD Rewriter, which is supposed to handle both media formats.

  2. Re: So, I bought a DVD burner...

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:21:15 -0700, none wrote:
    > I've used K3b to burn CDs of various sorts, but DVDs are a new trick for
    > this old dog. To start off - How do I determine whether to buy either
    > DVD-R or DVD+R media?

    I think it may depend on what your burner supports.

    I would suggest DVD+RW.

    > I intend to download and burn a Mandriva installation DVD, for a fresh
    > install of 2009.

    Did you know you can boot the iso from hard drive.

    Other methods found here
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Ins...lation_methods

    In my system I have a partition /local/spare on /dev/hdb1
    where I download iso images.

    dvd.iso is to be replaced with the downloaded dvd iso. Example:
    mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-i586.iso

    Always verify that either the md5sum or sha1sums verify.
    Pick either, depending on which one you have. Examples:

    md5sum -c mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-dvd-i586.iso.md5
    sha1sum -c mandriva-linux-free-2008-spring-cd3-i586.iso.sha1

    Next, kernel and image needs to extracted from iso.

    cd /local/spare
    mount -t auto -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 dvd.iso /mnt/cdrom

    If you downloaded a x86_64.iso, directory is /mnt/cdrom/x86_64

    cp /mnt/cdrom/i586/isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz /local/spare/vmlinuz-mdl
    cp /mnt/cdrom/i586/isolinux/alt0/all.rdz /local/spare/

    umount /mnt.cdrom

    Next, add a stanza to /boot/grub/menu.lst

    title Mandriva_iso
    kernel (hd1,0)/spare/vmlinuz-mdl root=/dev/ram3 ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
    initrd (hd1,0)/spare/all.rdz

    Or if your files are not is a sub-directory:

    title Mandriva_iso
    kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz-mdl root=/dev/ram3 ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
    initrd (hd1,0)/all.rdz

    FYI:
    Grub starts numbering at zero.
    Example: /dev/hda4 would be drive 0 [a] and partition ,3 [4]
    for a (hd0,3) value,

  3. Re: So, I bought a DVD burner...

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:21:15 -0700, none wrote:

    > I've used K3b to burn CDs of various sorts, but DVDs are a new trick for
    > this old dog. To start off - How do I determine whether to buy either
    > DVD-R or DVD+R media?

    Check the price tag :-)

    Normally there's very little price difference though.

    > I intend to download and burn a Mandriva installation DVD, for a fresh
    > install of 2009. I am currently using Mandriva 2008.0 and a brand-new LG
    > GH20 20x DVD Rewriter, which is supposed to handle both media formats.

    Any new drive should handle either equally well. Most of the time there
    is no discernible difference to the end user.

  4. Re: So, I bought a DVD burner...

    none wrote:
    > I've used K3b to burn CDs of various sorts, but DVDs are a new trick for
    > this old dog. To start off - How do I determine whether to buy either
    > DVD-R or DVD+R media?

    As others have mentioned, it doesn't make a big difference if your drive
    can handle both. Scott Mueller's book "Upgrading and Repairing PCs"
    (which I find really useful) recommends DVD+R/RW, so I went with that.

    General suggestion: I've found that sometimes, writing a particular
    brand of 16x DVD media in a 16x drive consistently produces coasters.
    Set k3b's speed to, say, 8x when using that brand, and things should be
    okay.

    Adam

  5. Re: So, I bought a DVD burner...

    Adam wrote:
    > none wrote:
    >> I've used K3b to burn CDs of various sorts, but DVDs are a new trick
    >> for this old dog. To start off - How do I determine whether to buy
    >> either DVD-R or DVD+R media?

    > As others have mentioned, it doesn't make a big difference if your drive
    > can handle both. Scott Mueller's book "Upgrading and Repairing PCs"
    > (which I find really useful) recommends DVD+R/RW, so I went with that.
    >
    > General suggestion: I've found that sometimes, writing a particular
    > brand of 16x DVD media in a 16x drive consistently produces coasters.
    > Set k3b's speed to, say, 8x when using that brand, and things should be
    > okay.
    >
    > Adam

    Thanks all. The reading I did yesterday indicated that DVD-R was more
    widely accepted by DVD players, and I wanted to copy a fishing fly-tying
    DVD provided by a local club, so I bought a small 30-pack of those. The
    copy is playing in my cheap-o GoVideo DVD player right now, so it must
    have worked!
    Next - to see if Mandriva 2009 is available to the general public yet.

  6. Re: So, I bought a DVD burner...

    http://www.mandriva.com/

    --
    UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely